PDA

View Full Version : My new lens tubes came

Kev Williams
05-13-2014, 2:20 PM
To expound a bit on Adrian Page's thread "how to focus", this is my attempt to make focusing without a moving table a little easier.

With a non-moving table, my limits so far have been: a max. material height of 5/8" with the supplied lens tube, and the need for lots of shimming to focus tall objects or parts held in clamps when using my 'auxiliary' table, which is simply a piece of 5/8" thick wood about 3x4' that so far works well. To help with these issues I had Triumph send me another factory-length tube, plus had them make 2 longer tubes. And I just finished cutting an inch off my original tube so the collar just bottoms out on the head, which now gives me a 1-5/8" max material height. This is great because I'll soon be needing to engrave 2x4's and other 2x lumber in the thing. And with the longer tubes and my aux. table I can now accommodate parts up to around 8" tall, and should be able to focus without messing with shims.

Not sure how the long tubes will work but I'll be finding out shortly, I have 'tall' work for the machine today!

http://www.engraver1.com/erase2/lenstubes.jpg

Kev Williams
05-23-2014, 4:03 PM
Here's a few of the reasons I wanted the longer lens tubes-

First pic, I'm cermarking cowbells using the medium-long tube. The triumph will do these 2x faster than my LS900 and 3x faster than my ULS.

Second pic, a 6x6 x 12-1/2" tall SS box is being lasered with the longest lens tube. My LS900 has a 10" height maximum, so this is really a bonus for me. And I can go as tall as 17-1/2", provided whatever it is will fit within the 'catch tray' area in the bottom.

Third pic shows that the longer tubes aren't affecting the lasering, getting great results!
Adjusting focus by moving the lens tubes hasn't proven to me to be any worse or better than by focusing with a moving table.

Dan Hintz
05-23-2014, 5:00 PM
It needs more cowbell, Kev... ;)

Kev Williams
05-23-2014, 8:01 PM
At any given time I have over 500 cowbells here. If there's anyone who doesn't need more cowbell...
:D

Frank barry
05-24-2014, 12:48 AM
sorry I don't understand this why wouldn't you just move the table up or down ?
Cheers Frank

Adrian Page
05-26-2014, 3:03 PM
Thanks for sharing Kev!

Adrian

David Somers
05-26-2014, 3:18 PM
Frank,

This was an extension of an earlier post where someone was asking about buying a Chinese laser that was cheaper because it did not have a motorized table. Kev has one of those and used this approach to make it more convenient to use. He was reporting back to everyone on the results.

Dave

Frank barry
05-26-2014, 3:31 PM
Thanks Dave I got it now
cheers Frank

Allen Rawley
05-30-2014, 12:24 AM
We just fabricated new beam delivery heads that attach to a standard Chinese laser machine. However, we found that the black tubes, as shown above, have varying outer diameters. So, we fabricated the same diameter as the customer measured. The head shown in the picture below works for the 2 inch and 2.5 inch lenses. The nice additional features here, are that the very small orifice makes for a high speed air jet and thus very high quality wood cutting due to minimized charring. The nozzle stand-off is independently adjustable, with respect to the focus lens, so the best air flow down into the cut can be calibrated by the laser machinery operator. In other words, if the nozzle is too close or too far from the material surface then it affects the air flow down into the cut region.

After completing the tube in a few days, then the focus head and tube will be sent out for black anodizing.

Dan Hintz
05-30-2014, 7:47 AM
http://www.engraver1.com/erase2/lenstubes.jpg
Funny, just saw an add a day or two ago listing this exact type of focal tube (they looked very similar, anyway)... reminded me of this thread.