PDA

View Full Version : Going to give it a shot in wood.

Carter Forbes
05-13-2014, 1:57 PM
I'm going to try this table and chairs. Using walnut and maple laminated. Looking for ideas for the joinery at the arm/ leg connection.
Considering a finger joint with locking dowel but leaning more toward a though mortise-tenon with a spline wedge in top. Any suggestions? For the seat, I plan to leave a cleft on the legs for additional support.

Dave Richards
05-13-2014, 2:12 PM
I think I'd do laminations for the backrest arc and the legs and interleave them at the joint between. Maybe it would be good to be open to a slightly larger radius bend at the transition from leg to backrest.

If I were you I would make them so they stand right side up. I think they'd be more useful.;)

Mike Ontko
05-13-2014, 2:40 PM
I think I'd do laminations for the backrest arc and the legs and interleave them at the joint between. Maybe it would be good to be open to a slightly larger radius bend at the transition from leg to backrest.

"Interleave," as in a half-lap type of joint?

That'll be a cool project, especially the way they all form together for storage.

Andrew Joiner
05-13-2014, 6:04 PM
Cool design. I would do a finger joint from arm to leg,maybe a little thicker and wider than the aluminum version pictured. No dowel needed on a proper fitting joint. Not enough "meat" there for a mortise and tenon.
3 legged chairs are tippy, but you don't have to worry about sitters rocking back and racking joints.

Carter Forbes
05-13-2014, 7:04 PM
Cool design. I would do a finger joint from arm to leg,maybe a little thicker and wider than the aluminum version pictured. No dowel needed on a proper fitting joint. Not enough "meat" there for a mortise and tenon.
3 legged chairs are tippy, but you don't have to worry about sitters rocking back and racking joints.

I hadn't thought of someone leaning back till I read you post.
Thank you! I haven't laughed today till I read that. lol

Steve Peterson
05-14-2014, 1:25 PM
Personally, I think the design looks nice but those long curved arms seem like they would always be in the way. You have to pull the chair really far away from the table before you can get in.

You could also make a 4 leg chair to make it less tippy. This might also reduce some of the stress on the arm/leg joint. I agree with the comment to use a finger joint.

Steve

Brian Tymchak
05-15-2014, 7:59 AM
Interesting design. My first inclination is that you will likely have to beef up the seat supports to handle the weight of a full sized adult. IMHO, wood in the same dimension as those metal supports over that span will likely bend. You might want to prototype the seat support and test it before investing a lot of time in the other chair parts. You may have to make some overall design changes to support the weight.

Jim Matthews
05-15-2014, 6:09 PM
Search "Wegner - The Chair".

Our very own Derek Cohen of Perth, Western Australia
has built his own homage to the design.

If it were my first attempt, I would laminate thin
wood strips resawn from the same board
to make the arm/backrest.

I believe Jeff Miller has a similar approach to chair building.

Carter Forbes
05-15-2014, 11:50 PM
Search "Wegner - The Chair".

Our very own Derek Cohen of Perth, Western Australia
has built his own homage to the design.

If it were my first attempt, I would laminate thin
wood strips resawn from the same board
to make the arm/backrest.

I believe Jeff Miller has a similar approach to chair building.

Yes Jim, I think two species would look nice, but for a first attempt you are right, might as well use all the oak lying around. Basically wood that's already paid for. That may be all that I can do really. I have bent a ton of maple before and have always been disappointed at its tendency to try to spring back even after sitting for a three day weekend I'm going to set up my bending brackets and see how thin I need to be to achieve the full circle plus some , since the last foot in a tight bend always want to spring some. Then, only do a few layers to start. Cut out the over lap, flatten it out, and glue the joint. Then laminate more pieces alternating the joint position so not to have any bulge or blow out after it is all done . . If I bend the table top first, I should be able to use the finished pattern for more accurate arm rests. Still have to think it all through, but believe I'm on right track.

Gus Dundon
05-16-2014, 11:56 AM
This is a cool project. I look forward to seeing your own work.