PDA

View Full Version : Settings for a jade glass photo frame

Mark Ward
05-13-2014, 10:14 AM
We have a couple of 10mm thick jade glass frames we need to engrave. We are confident enough using the rotory for drinking glasses and experimenting on them as they were cheap enough to mess around with, however we don't really want to be having to do too much experimenting but more refining with these photo frames as it will get a bit costly with these. Also, do we really need to be using a Thermark spary since it's glass as if so I might be knocking this job on the head as I don't think I'll be buying it just for this.

I don't know if to trust the pre-set Job Control settings that come with Trotecs software or not hence I thoguth I'd ask on here what peoples thoughts were for settings on a 80W machine.
Below is what the frame is like (a stock image so not our engraving on it).

Dan Hintz
05-13-2014, 12:02 PM
CerMark is not necessary for glass. I do not have my settings in front of me, I do remember for my 60W ULS it was around 100S/60P... quick linear math says around 100S/90P for the Speedy, but take that with a grain of salt.

Mark Ward
05-13-2014, 12:37 PM
CerMark is not necessary for glass. I do not have my settings in front of me, I do remember for my 60W ULS it was around 100S/60P... quick linear math says around 100S/90P for the Speedy, but take that with a grain of salt.
Thanks very much Dan, it's good to have an experts optinion on the ball park I should be looking at, much appreciated! Would you have it at 1000 dpi?

Mark Ward
05-13-2014, 4:59 PM
Just had a go and done it now. Used your settings Dan and and at 333 DPI. Also read in other posts that you said to knock it down from pure black a few shades so did that too.
Ended up doing 2 passes just to be sure as it was tricky to tell how good it was looking after the first pass with it being glass and I was reluctant to move it to check so did a 2nd pass just for good measure :)
Anyway, pretty pleased with the result (ignore the blurred looking "e", it's just a ligh patch from the coaster showing through is all).

Dan Hintz
05-14-2014, 7:43 AM
Sorry, should have given you a dpi, too... yep, 333 is what I usually ran mine at. Anything higher and you're risking blowout, anything lower and you're risking it looking sparse.