PDA

View Full Version : Pantry Project Finished

Jack Diemer
06-26-2005, 11:16 PM
Converted the shelves on our old pantry to drawers. This was one of my christmas presents to my wife. (last year for xmas, she unwraped the drawer slides) Anyway, I did it all out of 3/4 in Baltic Birch to prevent sag in the middle.

A word to the wise, I made the 32 inch drawers an 1/8 inch smaller than the drawer slides told me to (on purpose), and had to add washers to counter that 1/8 inch difference. Next time I will just follow the directions.

Sorry for the bad picture, but the flash went out on my digital camera. Anway, you get the idea.

PS, I didn't use a single hand tool during the entire project. :) (unless a tape measure counts) Sorry Neanderthal nation.

Alan Tolchinsky
06-26-2005, 11:40 PM
Hi Jack, Great job and a super idea. I think I'll steal that one. :)

Roy Wall
06-26-2005, 11:41 PM
Jack,

Great idea for pullouts in the pantry..........I bet those are nice!!! Good work; and I see it's well used -- I'll be over for dinner:D :D

Next time make those drawers snug....and I'll loan you a plane to trim:p :p

Corey Hallagan
06-26-2005, 11:51 PM
Nice work! This is what I will be doing in our Kitchen remodel!
Corey

Bill Fields
06-27-2005, 12:00 AM
Jack:

Great job--I have found many applications for sliding trays/drawers in our house. Those "work desks" in the kitchen and "make-up" areas in the bathroom--popular in the '70's and '80's----both never used--now have full-length sliding trays/drawers. More to go.

Tips:

-Use American Made KV-cost a little more/work a lot better-Don't remember which borg features these vs. the Chinese product. Hint: KV is in Grand Rapids, the home of better office furniture.

-Precisely 1" clearance--as close to +/- .020 as you can get
-Paralellism (sp?) is very important as well
-1 or 2 degree downslope to the rear helps the drawer stay closed
-For me, hair-pulling-out time comes when I try to use flush drawer fronts--your mistakes look at you every day!

Rockler/Kreg sells a drilling jig--never used it, but if I were doing a lot of these---

BILL FIELDS

Chris Padilla
06-27-2005, 12:41 AM
Good for you, Jack! Bet it feels good to have that present completed! :)

Jim Becker
06-27-2005, 9:20 AM
Not only built...but stocked, too!! Nice job.