PDA

View Full Version : Chinese hand Tool Project PIP

steven c newman
05-12-2014, 11:41 PM
After watching a few of his videos, and trying a block of wood to practize on, here is a PIP of the "Edge Plane" 289227 including the sliding fence on the bottom. Still have to add the bolts for it. 289228I Guess this is the front side? Wood is 100 yr old Barn wood White Oak, might be seasoned enough by now. Somehow, I think there should be a set of brakelights going here289229 A few chisels , a four-in-hand rasp, and a lot of sanding. Wedge got a bit tricky, needed to match the way the iron was skewed, and, a bevel to help out the escapement hole. Supposed to make the curls exit the side. ( took a couple test cuts, yep, they do curl out the side)

So, after doing TWO planes today, I might be a bit tuckered out?:D

Joe Bailey
05-13-2014, 12:24 AM
After watching a few of his videos ...

Who are you referring to?

steven c newman
05-13-2014, 12:39 AM
Go to David Weavers thread about Chines Hand Tool Woodworking

LINK: https://www.youtube.com/user/zhangzefeng/videos

Look up "edge Plane, part 1 of 2.

Frederick Skelly
05-13-2014, 7:03 AM
Thats pretty neat Steve.

Hope you had a couple cool beverages of your choice after all the hard work - you know, just to help you unwind and sleep.;)

David Weaver
05-13-2014, 7:24 AM
Nothing better than making tools. I thought about putting together a rabbet plane after seeing his long push and pull rabbet, but thinking about it is as far as I've gotten.

Pat Barry
05-13-2014, 12:53 PM
Nothing better than making tools. I thought about putting together a rabbet plane after seeing his long push and pull rabbet, but thinking about it is as far as I've gotten.

Nice work Steven. It looks like a bevel down design, is that right? Is the wedge beveled at the end to help it clear the shavings?

steven c newman
05-13-2014, 3:44 PM
Bevel down. The wedge needed two bevels. One to match the way the iron sits in the plane, and the second one to help clear shaving out the "Mouse Hole" as he calls it.

PIP on the Test Track of Poplar289278Rebate of the left turned out to be against the grain, one on the right was with the grain. Takes two hands to push it along to make shavings. Hammer to adjust. MIGHT need a bit of finish on that old Oak?

steven c newman
05-13-2014, 4:52 PM
A look at the fence used289279not the best slots, but they work289280Slots to allow the fence to move in or out. 289281Wedge, Iron, and the body being clamped up for drilling bolt holes. Bolt to align things up. Drill one hole, slip a bolt in, then drill the second one. iron USED to be a Lathe Skew chisel from Harbour Freight. Nice and thick iron that way. Good steel, once you are past the edge, too. Rounded end used to be the tang. Wedge was split off a chunk of waste from the first body. Might as well recycle screw-ups. Might get an oil finish to this one...