PDA

View Full Version : Tool Gloat - Performax 16-32

Dale Murray
05-12-2014, 11:26 PM
Yesterday I scored a Performax 16-32 with stand (brushed aluminum version), table extensions, and 7 new rolls of paper for $600.

The only issues I had with the machine are:
- the conveyor belt is a little rough on one side and about 3/4" of width is missing (I will replace eventually).
- I had to adjust the drum to to be parallel to the table, most likely due to transport.

Reassembled last night, adjusted things, runs great.

I may replace the bronze and plastic/delrin washers on the height adjustment rod with thrust bearings at a later date. It turns smoothly but has the tiniest bit of play and if I can remove that too, I will.

I intend to do a search for this but if anybody wants to pony up a few suggestions for bulk paper I would like to hear about them. Currently I have 40, 100, 180, thus need to fill a few holes.

johnny means
05-13-2014, 9:41 AM
You know the rules. No pics, didnt happen. But it sure would have been a nice score if it did. Too bad it didn't.

Dale Murray
05-13-2014, 9:53 AM
I did not know pics were required.

It is still a bit dirty but will look like new when I'm done.

Dale Murray
05-13-2014, 2:51 PM
Oh, another question. Does anybody know if the Jet dust hood fits the performax 16-32? I would like to have a 4" dust port instead of the 2-1/2" port. I know I could modify it but it appears a new hood is not wildly expensive.

Jeff Bartley
05-13-2014, 3:05 PM
Dale,
I don't know about the dust hood but I'd recommend getting some Abranet paper for it. It's available through Beaver Supply. I would have sold the 16-32 I have if not for the Abranet! I seem to leave 80 grit in it most of the time.

Dale Murray
05-13-2014, 3:26 PM
Well I found out about the dust hood. There are very much the same with the exception that Jet changed the hinge. Apparently the plastic tabs for the Jet hinges can be cut off thus allowing the use of the original performax piano hinges.

Immediate upgrades will be new dust hood, replacement belt, and installing the drum angle adjustment bracket which mine does not have.

Kyle Iwamoto
05-13-2014, 4:53 PM
Congrats, nice score! Before you run out and buy 220 paper and finer, I'll say it's pretty useless. Save your dollars. Use your RO sander. The sander is way ineffictive at 220 grit. Just my opinion.
There's a lot of threads on this machine here, the conveyor belt is one of the main trouble spots. Take your time in adjusting it. Do NOT make it too tight. It takes me a day or more to get mine to track dead center. For this, read the instructions. Sometimes, it seems the belt has to stretch to being parallel. For a little while, I got it to track in the center and a half hour later, it wasn't. So, take your time and keep an eye on it all the time until it does track straight. Probably why the belt is missng 3/4".

johnny means
05-13-2014, 5:01 PM
you suck!:)

Gus Dundon
05-14-2014, 10:23 AM
Great score. Enjoy and goodluck.

Art Mann
05-14-2014, 1:09 PM
I did not know pics were required.

It is still a bit dirty but will look like new when I'm done.

Okay, its official now. I am green with envy. Congratulations on a really good score. May you enjoy it for a long, long time.

Dale Murray
05-15-2014, 4:28 PM
I went through the machine with a fine toothed comb and found nothing to be alarmed about.

Today I went to the JET parts website and ordered:
- Drum Tilt Adjustment bracket and associated parts (did not come on my model)
- TUFT tool, the metal third hand deal to help install sandpaper (did not come with my model)
- New dust hood so I will have a 4" port instead of 2-1/2".

In all, $64.04 including shipping.

Out of curiosity I looked at Amazon to see what it would cost to get a 16-32 with stand, extension tables, and extra paper; $1296.98. So far I have spent $664.04 on mine. I WIN!

Sure, I dont have sand smart. Big deal, I will actually have to pay attention to what I am doing.

paul cottingham
05-15-2014, 6:35 PM
My good sir, you suck. That is a mighty fine score indeed.

Bill Graham
05-15-2014, 8:04 PM
Dale,
I don't know about the dust hood but I'd recommend getting some Abranet paper for it. It's available through Beaver Supply. I would have sold the 16-32 I have if not for the Abranet! I seem to leave 80 grit in it most of the time.

Jeff,

Thanks for the tip! What size rolls do you use?

Thanks,
Bill

Don Huffer
05-15-2014, 11:50 PM
Yesterday I scored a Performax 16-32 with stand (brushed aluminum version), table extensions, and 7 new rolls of paper for $600.

The only issues I had with the machine are:
- the conveyor belt is a little rough on one side and about 3/4" of width is missing (I will replace eventually).
- I had to adjust the drum to to be parallel to the table, most likely due to transport.

Reassembled last night, adjusted things, runs great.

I may replace the bronze and plastic/delrin washers on the height adjustment rod with thrust bearings at a later date. It turns smoothly but has the tiniest bit of play and if I can remove that too, I will.

I intend to do a search for this but if anybody wants to pony up a few suggestions for bulk paper I would like to hear about them. Currently I have 40, 100, 180, thus need to fill a few holes.

Dale

I had one a few years back. I would suggest taking it slow. The belt can heat up and get loose. I had trouble with that all the time. It does want to pull out of alignment too. Something to be checked often. Sanding anything 8/4 thick and over 3' long will result in thicker and thinner sections due to the weight. Thicker in the center. I tried a lot of different vac methods but none worked well but bigger is better. I wouldn't worry too much about the conveyor belt. It probably tracks better with a little off the ends. If you can't get it to track for any length of time. It's the belt, get a new one.

Evan Patton
05-16-2014, 12:06 AM
Does anyone know if the in/outfeed tables fit all versions of 16-32 Performax models? I picked up a nice unit, but it doesn't have the in/outfeed tables.

Thanks,
Evan

Gus Dundon
05-16-2014, 12:04 PM
My friend owns a performax and never saw the need of in/out feed tables.

Dale Murray
05-16-2014, 3:38 PM
My father does not have the tables on his. My gripe about them is a 22" machine now takes up 44" of space. I may find myself making a new base with a smaller footprint that has fold down extension wings.

Cary Falk
05-16-2014, 3:40 PM
I have the Grizzly 18/36 and never felt the need for infeed and outfeed tables.

Evan Patton
05-16-2014, 8:38 PM
My father does not have the tables on his. My gripe about them is a 22" machine now takes up 44" of space. I may find myself making a new base with a smaller footprint that has fold down extension wings.

My friend owns a performax and never saw the need of in/out feed tables.

Good feedback. A buddy of mine has the in/outfeed tables and said I definitely need them. Guess I'll try without, then search for them if I find I miss them.