PDA

View Full Version : Yankee tools

Moses Yoder
05-12-2014, 8:07 PM
Saturday I noticed my dad had a #35 Yankee screwdriver which I never saw before in my lifetime. I have seen them at tool meets but never paid much attention. I hope to acquire my father's #35. I was doing some research and wondering how many tools Yankee made and stumbled upon this list, thought you might find it interesting. YANKEE TOOLS (http://www.mwtca.org/the-gristmill/sample-articles/77-yankee-tools-checklist.html) I guess the goal would be to have one of each?

ken masoumi
05-12-2014, 9:25 PM
I know somewhere in my toolbox I have an older Stanley Yankee push driver no#130A.
Lee Valley used to sell their bits up until a couple of years ago.
Here's a picture of my #130A :

http://i17.photobucket.com/albums/b75/keyhan123/2010_0803stanley0001.jpg

Bill Houghton
05-12-2014, 10:47 PM
Well, you would want two of each in case one broke.

I didn't realize they made that many. I think I'll just stay happy with the number I have, which have been more than enough for my needs.

Jim Koepke
05-13-2014, 2:46 AM
I like the braces, 2101, that were continued by Stanley even if they do have plastic handle and pad.

I think I might have three different #41 push drills.

jtk

Adrian Ponik
05-13-2014, 8:34 AM
Lee Valley used to sell their bits up until a couple of years ago.

Still do:

http://www.leevalley.com/US/wood/page.aspx?p=66021&cat=1,43411,43417

Steve Rozmiarek
05-13-2014, 9:58 AM
I had no idea their tool list was so extensive. One of my local hardware stores has had a Yankee bit display box, full of bits for years. Been tempted to buy it, but haven't yet. Wonder what they sell for now...

Tony Zaffuto
05-13-2014, 11:40 AM
I like the braces, 2101, that were continued by Stanley even if they do have plastic handle and pad.

I think I might have three different #41 push drills.

jtk

Were the handles plastic or the more desirable "bakelite"?

I have a "Samson" brace (believe made by Pexto??) that has "bakelite" handles. It is for display as my users are my Spofford/Fray, at least one of each size offered, each ready to go with the appropriately sized center bit. Spares have countersinks and straight blade screwdriver mounted in them.

Jim Koepke
05-13-2014, 2:27 PM
Were the handles plastic or the more desirable "bakelite"?

For a second I thought you were asking about the push drills. :confused:

The 2101s have plastic as far as I can tell. Though I am not sure about the older one. They are both former 'Bell System' braces.

jtk

Bill Rhodus
05-15-2014, 8:54 AM
Moses, I have 2 of these push screwdrivers in my traveling toolbox with a #2 Phillips and 1/4 straight bit from Lee Valley and after getting used to them I use them a lot. For most operations involving less than a dozen screws I would rather use these than a power drill as the feedback is much better.

Matthew Holloway
05-17-2014, 5:03 PM
I started collecting Yankee screwdrivers and push drills couple years ago. Got about a dozen or so. My oldest is my great grandfather's North Brothers Yankee No. 30 with an 1908 patent date.:D Just pick up a Stanley Yankee 131A this morning.