View Full Version : Dangerous Day

Jesse Busenitz
05-12-2014, 7:23 PM
Had one of those days where you just quit before anything else happens....... Was routing and had a bit chip on me..... where the piece went I have no idea. Second deal was totally my fault, as I was cutting a dado on the TS and didn't want to set up the dado blade so I was making several cuts next to each other to get to my width, and without shutting off the saw I grabbed a chisel and started to clean out the the dado to see if it would fit or if I needed another pass...... it was good so I set the chisel down on the wing which promtly started to roll toward the blade..... I wanted to grab it quick but decided against that, and just hit the switch, and just watched frozen as it rolled within 2", and stop. I decided I was done for this long day:eek:

Peter Quinn
05-12-2014, 7:32 PM
Kenny Rogers hit rumbling through my head......"You got to know when to hold up, know when to fold up,,,,,know when to walk away.....know when to run" Good advice for wood working too. No place to gamble in front of a board chucker with 30-80 razor sharp teeth turning at 3500 RPM's. Head in wrong place......move head..out of shop. Or go sweep floor, organize sandpaper collection, something safer. Kudos to you for knowing when to say when

Dave Zellers
05-12-2014, 7:43 PM
.... I wanted to grab it quick but decided against that, and just hit the switch, and just watched frozen as it rolled within 2", and stop. I decided I was done for this long day:eek:
This is my NUMBER ONE table saw rule and I NEVER violate it.

Never EVER reach in quickly to grab something to save it when something goes wrong. Even if it means a finished piece is going to hit the blade and get ruined.

You did it right but I think I would have moved away from the saw after turning it off rather than watching the chisel roll toward the blade. :eek:

Jesse Busenitz
05-12-2014, 8:53 PM
This is my NUMBER ONE table saw rule and I NEVER violate it.

Never EVER reach in quickly to grab something to save it when something goes wrong. Even if it means a finished piece is going to hit the blade and get ruined.

You did it right but I think I would have moved away from the saw after turning it off rather than watching the chisel roll toward the blade. :eek:

Yeah, I would have but it all took place so quick.... it was one of those situations where you don't realize what really just happened until after the fact....

eugene thomas
05-12-2014, 8:58 PM
I had bad day in shop saturday. Took three almosts before decided to leave shop and watch tv.

Matt Day
05-12-2014, 10:03 PM
Every day in the shop is a good day, just be smart enough to know when to step back and collect yourself like the OP did.
Glad nobody got hurt.

Marty Gulseth
05-12-2014, 10:32 PM
Reminds me of when I was playing with airplanes - one of the first things my instructor told me, (paraphrased), "The best time to make a 180 is while you still can."

Regards, Marty