PDA

View Full Version : Laguna Tools Platinum Series Universal Sliding Table System

Jeremy Treibs
05-12-2014, 5:01 PM
Greetings, all.

I did a search for this particular after market table saw add on, but was unable to locate anything concerning it. Quite frankly, I have not been able to find any reviews on the Laguna Universal Sliding table system (aftermarket designed to work on "any" table saw).

It seems to always be "oversold" on Rockler.

Does anyone have this already? I am looking at adding a sliding table to my Jet Xacta Deluxe cabinet saw and this looked rather sturdy.

Looking for links to review, etc.

Thanks!

Jeremy

Cary Falk
05-12-2014, 5:59 PM
Looks like the same on Grizzly has to offer.
http://assets.rockler.com/media/catalog/product/cache/1/image/720x720/9df78eab33525d08d6e5fb8d27136e95/4/2/42039-02-1000.jpg
http://cdn0.grizzly.com/pics/jpeg500/t/t10223-148483b31972100ae553d09a83b3b9b3.jpg

Loren Woirhaye
05-12-2014, 6:24 PM
I expect it works fine.

I had one of the Jessem sliding table attachments. Mine worked well but I think they A) had quality control problems when ramping up production and B) It was bolted on like a wing and I reckon people sat on it and bent it too often. It lacked legs. The Laguna/Grizzly one strikes me as a take-off on the Jessem design addressing the problems Jessem did not.

Jamie Buxton
05-12-2014, 10:48 PM
I can't see what good this thing does. The fundamental issue with a table saw is to accurately and safely run material through the saw. A full-size slider helps do this on big pieces of material -- like a full sheet of plywood. But this little slider doesn't have any larger capacity than a standard table saw equipped with a rip fence, an outfeed table, and a crosscut sled. It also has lots more moving parts than a rip fence, outfeed table, and a sled. More moving parts almost always mean trouble; you have to keep them aligned, and clean. And the thing costs $800. You can buy and/or make a lot more useful tools for that kind of money.

Loren Woirhaye
05-13-2014, 8:45 PM
Actually this model has a 48" crosscut capacity.

I think if you have the room an Excalibur or Exactor is likely to be a better performer for cabinet work. Lots of pro shops use them. The footprint is big. I see used ones come up pretty cheap on CL in my area from time to time. Ebay too, though shipping is a thing.

Jamie Buxton
05-13-2014, 9:52 PM
Actually this model has a 48" crosscut capacity.

I routinely cross-cut lumber longer than 48" on a Unisaw with a crosscut sled. In fact, today I was cross cutting furniture parts that were 63" long.