PDA

View Full Version : Anyone use the JDS zippos?

Keith Upton
05-12-2014, 1:10 PM
Okay, so not the brand name Zippo, but their zippo like lighters. Anyone engraving these?

Mitchell Tutty
05-12-2014, 7:38 PM
I'd hate to accidentally leave a cut line on for this one.

Bill Stearns
05-13-2014, 10:34 AM
Keith -
I bought some of those (JDS) lighters; the dark-finished ones. (didn't want' a Cermark the other choice.) Haven't yet had time to engrave a sample for display. With anti-smoking being the thing nowadays, didn't really think lighters would sell well - still, figured wouldn't hurt to offer the item. Woke up to the fact that we have a smoke-shop in town that displays 'n sells all kinds of incredibly beautiful lighters - so, there must still be a market for 'em. If I get to engraving one 'fore you do, I'll try to post a picture. BTW: it's been suggested that my engraving Union logos on these lighters might go over big. ? (i.e. construction workers, heavy equipment operators, etc.) If you get into this, suppose it's wise to go where the smokers are, uh?

Bill

Keith Upton
05-13-2014, 11:19 AM
Thanks for the ideas Bill. I bought a case of them to just market to my game accessories customers. Many of them don't smoke I'm sure, but it will fit in with the "kit" that the pilots carried back in WWI and WWII. I've sold several of the JDS flasks because of this. While not game changers, several sales of lighters, flasks, pint glasses and coffee mugs does help pay for the laser ;)

Bill Stearns
05-13-2014, 12:08 PM
Keith -
Identifying a "market" for certain items is sometimes the challenge, isn't it? Sounds like you have. Creating "kits" for certain prospective customers is a terrific idea in itself. Expanding the sale of one item into several. Also: neat that you have an interest in WWI and WWII. As a kid, first model plane I made was - what'd they call it - a SPAD 13? If you enjoy reading 'bout WWII - I'm currently reading a terrific book called "Army at Dawn" 'bout the WWII Allied invasion of French North Africa. Anyway - back to work!

Bill