PDA

View Full Version : Air Assist Off?

Steve Crawford
05-12-2014, 8:52 AM
Sorry if this is a bit of a dumb question from a newb... But when and why would I ever want to leave air assist off when I'm engraving/cutting on my Speedy 300? I'm confused as to why I have the option even, and if I leave it off is it somehow dangerous when I open the lid?

Scott Shepherd
05-12-2014, 9:03 AM
In general, you want to leave it off when you are engraving certain materials, like engraving plastic. However, if you leave it off and leave the nose cone on, you can crack your lens fairly easily. Nose cone on = Air On, Nose Cone Off = Air Off.

Ernest Martin
05-17-2014, 7:22 PM
We rarely use air to engrave except if we are engraving rubber. One problem with useing air on wood or so it usually turns a little dusty looking.

Henri Sallinen
05-18-2014, 3:24 AM
Same problem when engraving matboard. The results are better when the air assist is not blowing the soot back on to the material. Air assist is crucial if you engrave stamp rubber because without it the flames get quite high!

Jiten Patel
05-18-2014, 4:14 AM
Scott, I always use air with great quality engraving...are you saying it I turn it off I will get a better mark? Also what about jobs that engrave and cut....do you set up two files, one to engrave with no air and no nose cone, then reattach the cone and set the cut file up?

Martin Safranek
05-18-2014, 4:17 AM
i use off when engraving acrylic, wood and double layer plastics but for cutting every time lower of higher pressure. For stamp rubber is off for both i had problem that dust was everywhere when i switch on air ... but now i have better blower ill try..
when is air off for longer time i check lens and mirrors more often ....