PDA

View Full Version : What do you do when your dog dies?

Wade Lippman
05-11-2014, 11:13 PM
I feel a little silly asking this; its the type of thing a person should know, but I don't. Our first dog died at the vets, and he took care of it all. Our current dog is 13, and while she is in great health (caught 3 Frisbees yesterday) it is really just a matter of time; after acting like a puppy for 20 minutes, she doesn't move for hours.
I never gave any thought to it, but I just saw an ad for a pet bereavement service, and it occurred to me that I have no idea what to do.
Seems silly to call the vet if she doesn't need vet care. Any help would be appreciated.

David Weaver
05-11-2014, 11:18 PM
We always took a dog to the vet, anyway. Don't think we ever had the heart to watch them suffer, and none went fast enough to avoid that.

When my mom (a dog fanatics fanatic) used to go from one dog to the next, she'd have a pause. And I don't think she liked it. I suggested she get a second dog before the first one died when the next dog died after that, and she didn't like it for various reasons (guilt of bringing in a new dog when the old one is going downhill). But she did it then, and then decided when the first dog died she'd have a second all the time so she'd never have to go dogless.

Charles Wiggins
05-12-2014, 12:28 AM
We had my parents' last cat put to sleep at the vet's office and they disposed of the body, but all the rest of our family pets died at home and we dealt with it ourselves. I've buried several pets, but only one dog so far. He was my childhood buddy. As he got older we did what we could to keep him as comfortable as possible, including giving him buffered aspirin when he was having trouble moving. (Talk to your vet about this. BTW: NEVER give aspirin to a cat. Their system cannot process it properly.) He got older and slower and his heart finally gave out and he passed away in the kitchen. I buried him in the yard and cried for a week. I always cover the grave with heavy stones for several months to keep other animals from exhuming the body.

Bryan Rocker
05-12-2014, 12:29 AM
We lost our black lab KD 2 weeks ago on the way to the vets to have her put to sleep after over 13 hours of seizures which were the ending of 2 years of diabetes and the vet to her body and disposed of it for $60.....

Jim Matthews
05-12-2014, 7:06 AM
I have had this discussion with my veterinarian, too.

He transferred from large animal husbandry to a pet oriented practice after
the last horse kicked him. He had this to say,

"Without interventions, most dogs live about five years on the farm if they're working. Everything beyond that is extra love, bonus time."

"Prolonging suffering isn't love, and life in constant pain isn't living."

"The difficult part of my job is trying to gently indicate when measures are futile."

I expect to be in the same position as so many, standing across the counter and begging for something - anything that could help.
It's what people who love their pets do, and it's not rational.

I don't expect to be any more composed, when that time comes for us.

Harold Burrell
05-12-2014, 8:06 AM
"Prolonging suffering isn't love, and life in constant pain isn't living."

Oh, oh...better not let my wife read that. I'd be a goner for sure.

Brian Tymchak
05-12-2014, 8:07 AM
We've put our last 2 cats to sleep when they were suffering. The vet we used made arrangements with a local funeral home that does pet cremations. One of these days/weeks/months/years I'll make some urns that in an abstract way reflect the coloring and pattern in their coats.

Mike Henderson
05-12-2014, 8:25 AM
Being that I was a woodworker, I made a coffin and buried him in the backyard.

Mike

Wade Lippman
05-12-2014, 10:04 AM
Thanks for the advice.
Sure, if she were suffering we would go to the vet; but I have a strong sense that Jessie just won't wake up one day.

I have a deal with my eldest that when the time comes, he will just smoother me. He was very quick to agree; must think I have life insurance.

Steve Rozmiarek
05-12-2014, 10:09 AM
Being that I was a woodworker, I made a coffin and buried him in the backyard.

Mike

Same here, but interment was on top of a sandhill on the old family ranch, with many generations of family pets.

Am I the only one that hates the willing euthanization trend? Read a news story where a woman took her dog in to be executed and the vet didn't. The woman stole the healthy dog back years later. We uses the hospice approach, it's the least we can do for these members of the family.

Paul McGaha
05-12-2014, 10:41 AM
Well, we've only done it once. Our vet took care of it for us. They waived the fees if I remember correctly.

Our dog at the time was a black lab named Bill. We had him since he was a puppy and he passed when he was 11. Our vet had taken care of Bill his whole life.

Unfortunately, we are probably going to be going thru that again this year or next year. Our current dog is a black lab named Mandy. She's 12 years old and slowing way down.

PHM

Erik Loza
05-12-2014, 11:31 AM
We euthanized our 12-year old German Shep last November. He had the hip/spinal degeneration they are known for and eventually became parapalegic and incontinent. In his case, even though he was clear of mind, he was very uncomfortable and unhappy with his own quality of life and was obviously emotionally depressed. In other words, he just "gave up" on all of it at one point and that's when we made the decision.

I won't presume to tell anyone else how/when/why to make a decision like this except to say that we probably put it off longer than we should have (which I suspect is common with beloved pets...) and no matter how much you think you are ready to say goodbye, you aren't and losing your dog f-ing sucks more than about anything else you can imagine.

Our vet offers a mobile service where they will come and perform euthanasia at your house. This was very important to us because we could not imagine saying goodbye to Leonard under the cirmcumstances of a stressful ride to the vet's office. We specified "private cremation" (I learned that ordinarily, deceased pets are cremated togther unless you pay for the "single pet" service) and received his ashes back in an urn, a few weeks later. We scattered half of them at his favorite lake and I saved the other half. I plan to cast a concrete planter for our garden with the rest of the ashes. I have no advice for anyone about this, just my own experiences.

Erik Loza
Minimax USA

Rick Potter
05-12-2014, 12:03 PM
Our Black Lab mix, Molly, is 16 and finally going downhill fast. I was thinking about this just yesterday. We already have her replacement, and they seem to enjoy each other. Molly has taught Ginger, a Yellow Lab mix, to not go past the gate, and the best places to catch the sun on a cool morning.

Molly is now incontinent and has dysplasia in her back legs, can't see well, and is almost deaf, but we are keeping her going until she has too much pain, which hasn't seemed to bother her much yet. Sad, but she continues to lay right outside the back door, and has to struggle to get up a couple dozen times a day, as we go in and out. It's all part of her life long strategy to never miss a chance to be petted.

Best dogs I have had are mutts from the shelter.

Rick Potter

Mark Patoka
05-12-2014, 12:21 PM
Our 12-year old dog passed away suddenly a year ago this month. He had hip pain issues, was going deaf and would have good and bad days. We came downstairs one morning getting ready to go to work and found him in the kitchen unconscious and in the final stages of life, dying 30 minutes later. We were shocked but also relieved that he went quickly on his own. We were afraid his health would deteriote to the point where multiple vet visits, medications and "it's time to put him down" decision would have to be made.

After he died, I called our vet, not knowing what to do either, and they do dispose of the body. My wife did not want him buried in yard so we took him to the vet and ended up purchasing the Private Cremation option. One of our adult sons now maintains the urn and ashes.

For the OP, I would talk with your vet on what they offer for various services and options. In addition to the private cremation, we couldv'e purchased a paw print cast in plaster and I'm sure other "memory" items. Find out what you may want now so you're prepared on what you may want/need to spend for when the time comes.

paul cottingham
05-12-2014, 12:25 PM
Our two much beloved cats died in the last 5 months or so. They were 19 years old. The first one we had to put down, that was awful. She died right in my arms, but I wouldn't have had it any other way. Her brother died while I was in hospital in January, he wasn't suffering, but he was very tired. My wife came home and found he had passed away peacefully while she was taking our daughter to school. She said that was rough, but nowhere as bad as watching his sister go.
Very kind neighbours dug holes in our front yard for both kitties, and they are resting there under the flowers, wrapped in their favorite blankets.
Man. I teared up just writing this. I am clearly not ready for new pets, 260 lbs of teary woodworker isn't pretty.

Pat Barry
05-12-2014, 12:30 PM
Cry, cry a lot. That's what I think anyway.

Paul McGaha
05-12-2014, 2:52 PM
I really would suggest to everyone that has lost a pet to connect with a new pet at some point. Life is better with a good pet in your life.

I had an agreement in place with our daughter to get us into another dog. Let us grieve some, a few months, but help us get into another dog.

She did great.

Guess I need to think about doing something like that again.

PHM

Moses Yoder
05-12-2014, 7:25 PM
We currently have seven dogs, over the years we have had many dogs die. We have several spots at my in-laws farm where we bury them under a tree, usually in a blanket with their favorite toy. I eat meat, so I see nothing wrong with ending a pet's life once it is known to be living in pain. That is normally the cut off point for us. Very few of our dogs have died a natural death. Some of the dogs are more memorable than others, but they all have a special place in my heart.

Tom M King
05-12-2014, 8:12 PM
We have a graveyard for cats, dogs, and horses on top of a hill under a grove of trees. It's never any fun, but a pet is nothing like as much trouble as a horse. We have an Arab that left us at 35. We thought we were going to lose him a couple of years before, so I dug a hole when I rented a mini-excavator for another job. When the time did come, I tell you what, having that hole already dug was the best thing-it had a ramp so any animal that fell in could get out. The next time I got a mini-excavator, I dug another horse hole, and some pet holes. We've been here for 34 years now, and have and had a lot of animals. Their graveyard is just a couple of hundred yards from the house.

We have a Havanese that's 17-1/2. There have been more than a few days when I thought it was her last, but she has always bounced back, and demanded a meal that she still enjoys eating, so she's still with us.

Frederick Skelly
05-12-2014, 9:29 PM
Same here, but interment was on top of a sandhill on the old family ranch, with many generations of family pets.

Am I the only one that hates the willing euthanization trend? Read a news story where a woman took her dog in to be executed and the vet didn't. The woman stole the healthy dog back years later. We uses the hospice approach, it's the least we can do for these members of the family.

Forgive me, because I dont mean to cause any offence here. But I just cant get there on euthanasia. Im certain there are cases where its truly a release. But Ive also seen it used as a convenience for the owners (edit: maybe I mean, sooner than they absolutely must) so they dont have to deal with the extra care involved. To me, if thats the reason, its not sufficient.

My approach matched yours Steve. He was a full fledged member of my family and I nursed him all the way to the end, just like Id do for a human family member. Maybe thats nuts. But I was with him to the end and he knew it.

Fred

Matt Krusen
05-12-2014, 10:21 PM
My dad is a vet in Pennsylvania. He always offers to do the "toughest part of being a dog owner" at the family's home. I've helped him on numerous occasions and the dog is always so much more calm and comfortable. He gives a small injection of a mild tranquilizer (kind of like Xanex etc.) so that the dog totally relaxes and pretty much falls asleep. Only then does he give the actual euthanasia injection. "Falling asleep" on their couch is a much better way to go than at the clinic. The owners really seem to appreciate it as well.

My family lost our Bernese Mountain Dog in July right before I moved away for graduate school. I was devastated. Once I moved, I got an Australian Shepherd puppy. I swear to you that my Aussie is my old dog reincarnated. They are the same damn dog in every single way. It makes me tear up just typing this lol. I love my shop buddy :)

eugene thomas
05-12-2014, 10:39 PM
the first dog i had as a adult. got him in 94 and for 6 years was just me and him till got married. He past away in 2010 but last three years he really had some bad days, had bad hips. I keep putting off putting him down, even made appointment but he got better so canceled it. He got bad again and made a appointment but 2 days before the vet appointment he really got bad, last night he was with use in morning i KNEW it was time. . I took him to a on call vet on sunday morning and then took him to a crematorium. I feel really bad about making him suffer so bad.

Bill ThompsonNM
05-13-2014, 12:54 AM
Forgive me, because I dont mean to cause any offence here. But I just cant get there on euthanasia. Im certain there are cases where its truly a release. But Ive also seen it used as a convenience for the owners so they dont have to deal with the extra care involved. To me, if thats the reason, its not sufficient. My approach matched yours Steve. He was a full fledged member of my family and I nursed him all the way to the end, just like Id do for a human family member. Maybe thats nuts. But I was with him to the end and he knew it. Fred
As a vet, I would have to say that among my clients, a convenience euthanasia is not the case. Most keep the dog, cat, or horse livng as long as they can. Although euthanasias are the hardest part of my job, ending the suffering of a well loved animal rather than making him or her slowly die over months is a responsibility I'm willing to accept.
Watching loved humans waste away painfully over months or years is truly painful.

If you are having your pet cremated ask about the company doing the cremation. We deal with a more expensive company, but they are 100% reliable. No lost ashes. No confusion at all. Nothing but utmost respect for our well loved companions. Even the communal cremations are spread at their ranch in the mountains 4 times a year.

Moses Yoder
05-13-2014, 5:09 PM
I don't see this argument being much different from one about religion. A normal person would be offended at the suggestion that I kill my pets at my convenience.

Frederick Skelly
05-13-2014, 8:22 PM
I don't see this argument being much different from one about religion. A normal person would be offended at the suggestion that I kill my pets at my convenience.

My response may have killed this thread. I sent Dr. Thompson a PM last night and I'll say it here publicly: I apologize if I offended anyone with my views. My choice of words was poor. I truly meant no offence and I did not intend to sound self-righteous or overzealous

Fred

Bill Cunningham
05-13-2014, 11:16 PM
I've lost 2 dogs, the last was in 1995. I decided at that time I would not adopt another, until I was pretty sure the dog was going to outlast me. It's just too hard to lose them. The last was my hunting buddy, and now I hunt alone.

Paul McGaha
05-14-2014, 6:34 AM
My response may have killed this thread. I sent Dr. Thompson a PM last night and I'll say it here publicly: I apologize if I offended anyone with my views. My choice of words was poor. I truly meant no offence and I did not intend to sound self-righteous or overzealous

Fred

Fred,

I think we all know what you meant with your post. No offense taken.

Input from your vet is very helpful at a time like that. In our case he told us it was time. We put it off a week to give our kids that live in the area time to make a last visit to see Bill. Looking back on it maybe we shouldn't have done that, Bill was in really bad shape.

PHM

Jim Matthews
05-14-2014, 7:12 AM
Oh, oh...better not let my wife read that. I'd be a goner for sure.

If my dog learns how to take out the trash and drive at night, my days are numbered.

Jim Matthews
05-14-2014, 7:17 AM
My family lost our Bernese Mountain Dog in July right before I moved away for graduate school... my Aussie is my old dog reincarnated.

That's like saying a Volvo 242 diesel wagon was re-incarnated as a Bugatti Veyron.
I couldn't think of two dogs with a greater difference in temperament.

I always thought that Aussies should come with a warning label,
"Does not need sleep."

Rick Potter
05-14-2014, 11:46 AM
Hmmm,

Maybe I spoke too soon. Molly, 16..half blind..dysplasia..mostly deaf, just nailed a small possum. It must have played possum, Molly couldn't chase it very far.

Rick P

Rod Sheridan
05-14-2014, 1:14 PM
I feel a little silly asking this; its the type of thing a person should know, but I don't. Our first dog died at the vets, and he took care of it all. Our current dog is 13, and while she is in great health (caught 3 Frisbees yesterday) it is really just a matter of time; after acting like a puppy for 20 minutes, she doesn't move for hours.
I never gave any thought to it, but I just saw an ad for a pet bereavement service, and it occurred to me that I have no idea what to do.
Seems silly to call the vet if she doesn't need vet care. Any help would be appreciated.

What do I do when my dog dies?

Cry, a lot.

I have no idea how a dog or cat (I get equally attached to either) can come to be such a valuable member of our life, however it truly is heart breaking when you lose one that you've had for a long time.

Ours are either buried at my inlaws farm or at home, always with a plant such as a tree or bush planted to mark and secure the spot from disturbances.

I think the best thing you can do to honour your deceased pet, is to get one from the shelter to replace them, pay forward all the love they gave you.......Rod.

Mike Chance in Iowa
05-14-2014, 6:46 PM

The fact that you are posting this question shows that you care about your dog, so there is nothing silly about this. This shows that you are trying to research the facts and be prepared.

There is no "right" answer for you. You can only look over the various responses given and learn about options available; watch your dog for changes in physical and/or mental health; speak with your family about what they want; and make a decision based on what feels "best" for you, your dog, and your family.

When the time comes near, whether you decide euthanasia is necessary or your dog passes away on their own ... whether you decide cremation, burial or whatever is the option you want ... whether you decide to get another pet or not ... you do this based on thinking it over and doing what you think feels best at that time.

Your decision will not be wrong. Enjoy your old gal.

paul cottingham
05-14-2014, 7:50 PM
With my beloved cats, one of them was in clear distress, up all night squalling, and peeing all over herself. This was a cat who was totally fastidious her entire life until the last couple days. Putting her down was awful, and traumatic, and I (and my wife who claimed she didn't even like this particular cat) were in tears for days. But it was the right thing to do, as she went easily, and without pain. I don't say this lightly, as I truly loved this cat. She saw me through a separation, a divorce, and a whole bunch of invasive surgeries by just being there.

Her brother, on the other hand was losing weight, but was comfortable, and content (believe me, he was a talker, if he was in pain, we would have known) right up to the end. My wife came home, and he had passed away peacefully on the couch. I do not regret not getting a vet involved at all, as it wasn't necessary.

So the moral of the story is that every situation is different. I am comfortable with the decisions I made with both cats. They trusted me to look after them, and do what was best for them, and I believe I met that trust. They were 19 years old, and had had a good, comfortable life, and were well loved. They are both buried under a bush (one for each of them) in our front yard.

rick carpenter
05-19-2014, 5:10 PM
We finally had our 11 year old boxer put to sleep a year ago last month. She developed a nerve problem in one rear leg in the spine that progressed to the other. I helped her get up at night and do her business in the yard for months. After it got too bad for her, you could see it in her eyes, we had her put down.

I was having health issues at the time and had to concentrate on myself. I didn't go back with her at the vet's office when he did his thing and I regret that chickenpoop decision every day. I'm so sorry Maggie girl, I still love you.

Shawn Pixley
05-19-2014, 9:41 PM
I grieve hard on any on my pets' deaths. When my dog Tommy died a couple of years (2 years, 361 days ago, but who is counting), I swore I would never have another pet because I didn't want to feel this way again. He was the best dog ever. Well time heals all wounds (or wounds all heels) and I have another rescue dog. He is a good dog. I still miss Tommy but I seem to have room in my heart for another pet. With one exception we have had incredibly compassionate vetrinary care. My pets lived long and rich lives. If there is reincarnation, I want to come back as my pet. I don't think that here was even a single day in my life where I didn't have a pet.

Andrew Pitonyak
05-20-2014, 3:22 PM
Dug a hole out back and buried them. I have had to dig a couple of holes over the years. Not sure if there are any issues with this in the city.

Never happy when a pet dies. Well, never really happy when any animal dies. Ignoring any emotional issues, it is annoying to get ride of the body. Most vets will handle this for you for a fee.

Ole Anderson
05-20-2014, 4:56 PM
Loosing a pet is tough. Our first dog got hit by a car but it was such a clean hit, I wasn't sure if he was really dead, my heart was beating so fast I couldn't tell if his was beating at all. A quick trip to the vet confirmed what I was afraid of, yes he was gone. We have only had 3 dogs, but he was by far the best. Our vet offered several options including one where they were buried in a pet cemetery. We chose that one, although we never did visit. The other alternative we took with our other two dogs were basically burial in a mass grave. Our last two dogs just quit eating and peed and pooped at will they were so sick. Our vet put them down, but as much as I loved them, I couldn't envision myself holding them while they died, for fear of my emotions in front of the vet staff. Bad enough saying goodbye at the vet's place. We have buried smaller pets like mice in our yard, and offered a few fish a hydraulic funeral, but a good dog is a friend that loves you unconditionally. You may have seen this before, but I never get tired of it: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H17edn_RZoY

Jason Roehl
05-20-2014, 8:06 PM
I've only had to put down one pet in my life, and man, that was tough. Rajah was a lively, talkative tabby cat my wife and I got as a kitten shortly after we got married. He was about 13 when I had to put him down due to a massive tumor that had taken his use of his right front leg, then spread to his opposite rear leg. I could tell he wasn't enjoying life any more, but he was trying to be neat by just laying most of the day next to the litter box. I took him and my boys out to our church (outside city limits), and did the deed myself with a .22 rifle. That's been over 6 years, and it's tough to even write this. Now we have Cali (a calico) and Boots (a tuxedo), who are both great cats in their own right, but they'll never replace Rajah.

I also just found out today that my next-door neighbors are going to have to put down their 9 year old English bulldog, Ripper. He's an ugly beast, but after years of angry barking at me from behind his fence, I made friends with him at my neighbor's son's graduation party last summer. I'm going to miss that guy (the neighbor told me today that he rarely likes men, either).