PDA

View Full Version : MM16 Mistake??

David Less
06-26-2005, 9:36 PM
I finally bought the new mm16 series band saw after 4 weeks of debating over the $$. The debate I had with myself wasn't over the wheel size or carbide blade it can take at the time I put my deposite down. But now my issues have chaged. Here's my problem, after contemplating my $2600 purchase for the last 2 days I should maybe have bought the 20" for $600 more (sold out at present time). Here are the reasons that are really bothering me. There are no cardibe blade manufactures that recommend or guarentee a 3/4 or 1" carbide blade on a 16" saw. I know people are succesfully using them, but for the amount of $$$ I paid, I should have thought about the issue more. Also, I hope I will never need to cut larger than the 15 1/2" throat.
I don't know, at the present I'm just not feeling good about my purchase. I like to buy the best I can afford, and hope I don't make any mistakes. After all, for the money I spent, I don't want to be dissapointed.

Oh well, maybe it's just alittle stage fright.

David

Bruce Page
06-26-2005, 9:59 PM
Oh well, maybe it's just alittle stage fright.
I usually have the same issues when I’m putting out a large chunk of change like that, often I will buy more than I really need. I just tell myself that I have to draw the line somewhere. I have the MM16 and I have been very pleased with it. I seems to handle my 1” carbide tri-master with ease.
So sit back and enjoy your new bandsaw! ;)

Jeff A. Smith
06-26-2005, 9:59 PM
Have you taken delivery of the saw yet? If not... and if your gut feeling is that you should have went with the 20, you're only out the extra $600. If you have, you might be able to work something out with the people at MM... I knew a fellow that bought the 24 and returned one, got another 24, then decided that a 20" was what he needed, so sent the second 24 back. Bottom line, it may cost you something to send stuff back, but the folks at MM want you to be happy with your purchase.

The carbide blade issue was the reason I went with the 20.

Jeff Smith
Athens AL

Bill Grumbine
06-26-2005, 10:13 PM
Hi David

I cannot speak to the carbide blade issue, but I do have a MM 20. The resaw on it is only 1/4" more than the new 16. I bought the 20 mainly because I did not want to wait for the new 16 to come out, and while I had a few commissioning issues, I am very happy with it. Your new 16 has virtually the same resaw capacity and the same motor as my 20, so I would not worry about it. You will have to ask someone else about the blade though. I am not even sure what you mean about a manufacturer guaranteeing the blade on a 16" saw. I do know that I did many thousands of lineal feet of resawing on my old Jet 14" saw with a 1/2" carbide blade if that helps you any.

Bill

Jim Becker
06-26-2005, 10:27 PM
I've had no issues with running my 1" Lennox Trimaster on my MM16...and I have one two generations back from the one you're getting. But I don't leave the blade on the saw, either and only tension it when in use. In fact, I plan on aquiring a 1/2" Trimaster for "general purpose" use once I use up my supply of other blades...

Steve Wargo
06-26-2005, 11:02 PM
David,
Not to make your second guessing worse, but I purchased a Laguna 16HD a little over a year ago. I now wish I'd have purchased a 20 or 24" bandsaw. Please keep in mind that I don't have TS and perform all ripping tasks on the Laguna. But I wish I'd have purchased the larger saw within 3 months after purchasing the 16HD. Don't get me wrong. the saw is nearly perfect. I love it. But I wish I'd have gone bigger.

Cecil Arnold
06-26-2005, 11:15 PM
I have the MM16 and think it's great. It's the last generation 12 1/2 resaw, and the blades have not been an issue. While I'll always agree that bigger is better, $$ and space are issues, so I'll continue to be happy with it.

Jamie Buxton
06-27-2005, 12:07 AM
There are no cardibe blade manufactures that recommend or guarentee a 3/4 or 1" carbide blade on a 16" saw.
David

That used to be true. Laguna now sells most of its 16" saws with a 1" carbide blade. If I were you, I'd go back to MiniMax and discuss the issue very carefully. My guess is that if Laguna has found a way to do it, Minimax will have found the same solution.

Mike Weaver
06-27-2005, 7:37 AM
That used to be true. Laguna now sells most of its 16" saws with a 1" carbide blade. If I were you, I'd go back to MiniMax and discuss the issue very carefully. My guess is that if Laguna has found a way to do it, Minimax will have found the same solution.

I recall reading somewhere that Lennox has made a slightly softer steel for backing (some/all?) for their carbide blades. A softer formulation should help prevent stress fractures on the 16" saws.

That being said, I think most folks do take the time to detension the carbide blades at least, and take the blades off when not in use for an extended period.

What's all this mean? - I don't think that this issue has to do with the saw manufacturer, but how well the blades are made - a 16" wheel is going to be similar from everyone and it's the radius of the bend that may cause these blades to fail early. Anything one can do to "be gentle" with the blade would help.

Cheers,
-Mike

Jim Becker
06-27-2005, 8:53 AM
I recall reading somewhere that Lennox has made a slightly softer steel for backing (some/all?) for their carbide blades. A softer formulation should help prevent stress fractures on the 16" saws.

Mike...good memory. Lenox introduced a new formula for the backing of the blade which is supposed to be more forgiving about a year ago. It was a problem at first, however, since they gradually phased them in and you couldn't tell the difference from looking at them. The good news is that unless the blade you buy has been sitting on the back shelf somewhere for a long time, a purchase "today" will get you the new formula.