PDA

View Full Version : Do you Hoard anything

Andrew Joiner
05-11-2014, 9:30 PM
I've been know to hoard selected slabs of wood. I think that may be common among us here.

I just looked at my large collection of aluminum and steel angle stock. I had more than I'll ever use, but I just got a deal on some and for a few bucks I got more. Useful stuff but I think I may have a "condition".
Anyone else here hoard unusual things.

Andrew Fleck
05-11-2014, 9:47 PM
Just all of my cut offs. It's very hard for me to part with them. My scrap bin is exploding so something needs to be done soon. There is just something about throwing away a nice piece of lumber...even if it's only 4"x6". Oh well, it's a problem.

Harold Burrell
05-11-2014, 9:49 PM
Just all of my cut offs. It's very hard for me to part with them. My scrap bin is exploding so something needs to be done soon. There is just something about throwing away a nice piece of lumber...even if it's only 4"x6". Oh well, it's a problem.

You, my friend, are not alone...

Michael Koenig
05-11-2014, 10:05 PM
There is no such thing as a scrap bin.
Some cutoffs may never get used but can't throw them away.

Bill Cunningham
05-11-2014, 10:07 PM
Well!!!! There is a place for everything, and everything is in that place. Is that hording? :D

Roger Feeley
05-11-2014, 10:37 PM
My father was a hoarder of skills. I didn't figure it out until after his death and I helped clean out the house. We cleaned out the tools and materials necessary for a host of hobbies. He painted. He tooled leather. Worked in silver. He tied flies. He had a darkroom and three Leicas. He made his picture frames and did his own matting. He did his own welding. He dabbled in electronics. He was a dentist and built his own exam room cabinetry that pre-dated current stuff.

With the exception of woodworking and photography, he would take up a hobby, learn how to do it and then move on but would keep the tools and materials.

I am my fathers son. I try to resist the same urges. But I don't try very hard.

Ken Fitzgerald
05-11-2014, 11:44 PM
Hardwood scraps.....hardwoods are so expensive locally that you can't afford to throw them out.

paul cottingham
05-12-2014, 12:20 AM
Am I a hoarder?

according to my wife - yes.

but, no, I'm not. I mean, really, I throw out any piece of wood smaller than 1 square inch. And I don't keep anything I don't think I will possibly use in the next 5 years or so.

how could anybody think I'm a hoarder?

Jim Matthews
05-12-2014, 7:09 AM
If there is a path to your shop workspace, it's storage.

If you must go all the way down the path before you can turn around,
it's hoarding.

Matt Meiser
05-12-2014, 7:42 AM
I binge and purge on materials. But I still have cutoffs that have been in my cutoff bin for years. Last time I at least got them to all FIT in the cuttoff bin where I can see the top edge of each board. Did the same with my metal stock (except the purge is only half complete as we haven't yet taken it to the Girl Scout scrap metal drive dropoff house a couple months later. I've also got ridiculous amounts of hardware even after a purge. I always have the mentality that I should order extras and I virtually never uses them. In fact, the one time I recall losing a knob somewhere in the shop, was one time there was no extra!

John Conklin
05-12-2014, 8:20 AM
Lumber in general, Craigslist finds more specifically. Right now I have about 100 BF of poplar, 75 BF of walnut, 450 BF of ambrosia maple and 30 pristine 18' long 2x6's that our metal roof was crated in.

I also seem to pick up a lot of chisels and router bits that I see on sale /clearance.

David Weaver
05-12-2014, 8:32 AM
Planes and chisels, I guess. And old english double irons. And maybe quartered wood and turning blanks to be used for future tools (since those two things are not necessarily easy to find in what you want when you want it, and the blanks need to dry, anyway).

I have no problem getting rid of my offcuts. If I have something small, it goes into a 13 gallon trash can. If it's any good, it'll get used. If it's not, it will get thrown out when I make more room in the can. The only exception is sticker wood is stored elsewhere, but that's not really scrap.

My mother paints stuff and sells it at craft shows. They will clean out my scraps and recyclables of anything that can be painted on.

Charlie Velasquez
05-12-2014, 9:04 AM
Elementary calculators... About 1999, when my classroom of 22 students needed a set of calculators, I scoured ebay all summer long. I found a good deal on a set of TI 108's. After my winning bid I would look at the auctions just to re-enforce to myself how good of a deal I had made. Lo, an behold, another deal came up and I made a low ball offer, just because... Now I had a couple of sets...always needed a spare, I guess.

As ebay matured, more and more teachers were putting stuff on ebay after they retired.

I saw some TI-12's. Then another set of Ti-12 had no bidders.... Another set was cheaper than the last - how could people not be bidding on these?? Then a couple of sets of TI-15's. I started giving sets to former students that had entered the teaching profession. When I retired I still had over 70 calculators.

Dan Hintz
05-12-2014, 2:24 PM
My father was a hoarder of skills.

This is me, especially if you include "and information" in the description. I'm always finding out how one skill/experience can enrich another.

Moses Yoder
05-12-2014, 7:34 PM
I don't hoard anything. noun a supply or accumulation that is hidden or carefully guarded for preservation, future use, etc.: verb (used with object)2.to accumulate for preservation, future use, etc., in a hidden or carefully guarded place

Having a hundred or more planes is actually a form of efficiency; it is not hoarding. You have different lengths for different purposes, different widths, different grinds on the iron, etc. I think if you calculated it carefully you would need about 500 for maximum efficiency.

Ken Fitzgerald
05-12-2014, 8:49 PM
I don't hoard anything. noun a supply or accumulation that is hidden or carefully guarded for preservation, future use, etc.: verb (used with object)2.to accumulate for preservation, future use, etc., in a hidden or carefully guarded place

Having a hundred or more planes is actually a form of efficiency; it is not hoarding. You have different lengths for different purposes, different widths, different grinds on the iron, etc. I think if you calculated it carefully you would need about 500 for maximum efficiency.

Me thinks you are just in denial!:D

Bert Kemp
05-12-2014, 11:57 PM
12 x 12" and 10 x 15" sheets of 1/8 and 1/4" Baltic Birch, I've got piles of partially cut out sheets. If I cut a 9x9" piece out of a 12 x 12 sheet the left over goes in the pile maybe some day I'll need some small cut out of something:D

Wade Lippman
05-13-2014, 12:22 PM
My wife hoards medicine. When she refills a prescription she will start using the new container and set the old one with 1 or 2 pills aside. She once had 18 bottles for the same medicine, all with one or 2 pills in them. When I asked why she didn't add the old ones to the new bottle, she just got angry. Beats the heck out of me.

Harold Burrell
05-13-2014, 1:36 PM
... she just got angry. Beats the heck out of me.

:eek: Sounds painful!

Dave Sheldrake
05-13-2014, 1:42 PM
Any sheet not complete goes in the shredder then the pellet press :)

cheers

Dave

ps: do I hoard anything...hummmm Cats...I have 22 of those :)

Bert Kemp
05-13-2014, 5:13 PM
22 Cats holy smoke Dave no wonder you needed a stone castle ( maybe you should have bought a farm LOL ) I thought my girlfriend was bad, she had 6 cats, 8 snakes, 3 ferrets and a dog.

Doug Carpenter
05-17-2014, 7:46 AM
I have hardware that I'll probably never use. I'm sure that as soon as I get rid of it, I'll need it! But that is pretty normal my real issue is boxes. I have boxes in pristine condition for tools that dies a long time ago. Same with household appliances. I save them at first in case it needs to be returned; but time goes by and I replace the item after it dies and put the new box away only to find the other 3 right where I left them! Please don't send A&E, just call me a dumpster!

Steve Rozmiarek
05-17-2014, 10:30 AM
Pencils. I lost my good drafting pencil to a kid once, and bought a replacement at a art store for stupid money. Found that you can buy a gross on ebay for about the same price as the one replacement, so I started the collection. It now fills two drawers, contains all kinds of great old drafting pencils from the drafting by hand age.

Doug Carpenter
05-17-2014, 11:05 AM
Pencils. I lost my good drafting pencil to a kid once, and bought a replacement at a art store for stupid money. Found that you can buy a gross on ebay for about the same price as the one replacement, so I started the collection. It now fills two drawers, contains all kinds of great old drafting pencils from the drafting by hand age.

Steve, Do you have any experience with the old motorized drafting desks? I use one every day. I am a gunstock maker and I am using it for a checkering bench. It is starting to get a little finicky and I worry that the motor or switch is giving up. Since checkering is a tedious process I adjust the desk up and down every 20 minutes easy.

Steve Rozmiarek
05-17-2014, 2:04 PM
Steve, Do you have any experience with the old motorized drafting desks? I use one every day. I am a gunstock maker and I am using it for a checkering bench. It is starting to get a little finicky and I worry that the motor or switch is giving up. Since checkering is a tedious process I adjust the desk up and down every 20 minutes easy.

I don't, I've seen ones that raise with a hand wheel, along with the tilt, but none with the electric one. Who makes yours? I'd love to see a pic. A good table is on my bucket list someday. I currently use a ten minute slap together. Looks pretty bad with the nice old Vemco light and drafting machine attached.

Doug Carpenter
05-17-2014, 3:51 PM
I don't mean to hijack this thread. I thought I could send a picture in a PM.

Here it is. It is made by Hamilton Industries.

One of my checkering cradles is hanging on it. That is pretty much how I use it. The drafting machine is great because it allows me to move the light where ever I need it.

Steve Rozmiarek
05-18-2014, 11:25 AM
Thats very clever Doug, thanks for the pic. I couldn't wrap my head around how it would work for a checkering bench, but I get it now!

Rich Riddle
05-18-2014, 10:11 PM
My wife insinuates I have a tool hoarding behavior, but no one else in SMC will have that habit.

Justin Ludwig
05-19-2014, 7:28 AM
I'm the antithesis of a hoarder. I have cleaner's disease.

I tried holding onto a busted sander and managed for about 6 months. I noticed it sitting on the shelf one too many times and asked, "Eh, why am I holding onto that?" 3 days after tossing it, the working sander, same model, broke a screw that holds the orbital pad to the bull gear. Since my replacement screw was in the now thrown away sander I went online to order one. It's discontinued. Go figure. How can a SCREW be discontinued. Out of a list of 50 parts for this sander the screw I needed was the ONLY one discontinued. It made me laugh.

Andrew Joiner
05-19-2014, 3:17 PM
I'm the antithesis of a hoarder. I have cleaner's disease.

I tried holding onto a busted sander and managed for about 6 months. I noticed it sitting on the shelf one too many times and asked, "Eh, why am I holding onto that?" 3 days after tossing it, the working sander, same model, broke a screw that holds the orbital pad to the bull gear. Since my replacement screw was in the now thrown away sander I went online to order one. It's discontinued. Go figure. How can a SCREW be discontinued. Out of a list of 50 parts for this sander the screw I needed was the ONLY one discontinued. It made me laugh.

Thanks Justin. You helped me resist the urge to toss my busted sanders(and justify my hoarding).:)

Jim Matthews
05-19-2014, 3:40 PM
My wife insinuates I have a tool hoarding behavior, but no one else in SMC will have that habit.

We also eat all of our vegetables and put the seat down without being reminded.
And we love cats, too.