PDA

View Full Version : Need help on upcoming bandsaw purchase!

Dave Kirby
05-11-2014, 6:38 PM
Hello everyone. I'm looking to purchase a good bandsaw in the near future. I've looked at most of them and unfortunately my budget for this purchase is not very big. Looking to spend no more than $1200 but possibly less than $1000 if possible and realistic for a good machine. I want to get a machine with good power and at least 13" of Resaw capability. I would like to get something with over 14" wheels. I have looked at the offerings from Rikon and read good reviews, even considered the #10-325 14" machine once or twice, but I think I'd like something more in the size of 16" or 17". I have also looked at Grizzly and they have some good prices but I want to make sure that whatever I purchase will carry some longevity of parts and accessory availability. Any thoughts on Rikon and Grizzly? I know there are many more such as Laguna, MiniMax, Powermatic, Jet, etc. That I probably need to check out but may be out of my price range. I'm just getting a little confused in my decision. I, of course would like the best bang for the buck. Can anyone help? I'd appreciate any advice, experience, etc. Thanks again!

Jamie Buxton
05-11-2014, 8:03 PM
If your budget is tight, consider used machines. Bandsaws haven't changed much since welded frames showed up a couple decades ago.

For instance, Craigslist has a posting for a 24" SCMI bandsaw for only $1350, in Dundee, MI. That's a whole lot of saw, especially for that price. (SCMI, if you don't recognize the name, is the parent company whose smaller saws are now sold as Minimax in the US.)

Jim Andrew
05-12-2014, 8:43 AM
Michigan seems to be the state where good equipment is available at bargain basement prices. It would be worth a few hours drive to pick up a used Italian built bandsaw at a bargain price. Hobbyists do not usually wear out their machines, schools either. When I bought my MM16 ten years ago, the salesman said they were designed to run 2 shifts a day for 20 years. In my 10 years, doubt if I have actually ran it over 2 shifts. I have a table saw for most of my cutting. Just wanted a good bandsaw, tired of cheap built bandsaws with bad blade welds. Now it is not hard to get good blades with good welds, makes a lot of difference over the clack clack clack you used to get with the welds available years ago.

Jeff Duncan
05-12-2014, 10:57 AM
My first vote would be to find a better quality used saw ideally for under $1k so you have some money left for some good blades;)

Second vote with the choices you listed would be for Grizzly, as they have a good reputation for stocking parts for their machines for a very long time.

good luck,
JeffD

Jim German
05-12-2014, 11:12 AM
I was in the same position (see this thread (http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthread.php?217383-New-vs-Old-Bandsaw)) and ended with a used 20" Northfield. I'm picking it up tomorrow and will let you know if I wish I had gotten a new one.

Phil Thien
05-12-2014, 12:56 PM
Second vote with the choices you listed would be for Grizzly, as they have a good reputation for stocking parts for their machines for a very long time.

good luck,
JeffD

I don't own any Grizzly machines but from reading these forums for quite some time, my takeaway is that Grizzly does a better job supporting older models than pretty much anyone else.

Sam Beagle
05-12-2014, 2:11 PM
Laguna!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Gus Dundon
05-12-2014, 2:38 PM
I would check Grizzly and Jet band saws.

Matt Day
05-12-2014, 3:27 PM
I'd take your time and search for a used saw. I ended up with a used Powermatic 20" for about $750 after buying a vfd for it.
If new, I'd lean toward Grizzly and Rikon for bang for your buck. Woodcraft has sales periodically on the Rikon stuff.

Jeff Duncan
05-12-2014, 3:48 PM
I don't own any Grizzly machines but from reading these forums for quite some time, my takeaway is that Grizzly does a better job supporting older models than pretty much anyone else.

I have owned, (and still own), Grizzly machines. I was impressed when I called them several years ago to see if they had replacement parts for a discontinued sander I had bought well over a decade ago! To my surprise they had all the parts needed to get it back into service, (which was a significant amount of parts as the machine was total crap!). Probably why they discontinued it in the first place! Anyway point is they had the parts available which meant I could tell potential sellers the machine could be fixed up, and allowed me to move it out and still get a couple bucks for it.

It wasn't that long ago you could say the same for Delta and Powermatic, both of whom I've purchased and still use machinery from, alas over the last decade or so they have pretty much turned their backs on support of the older equipment which is pretty sad.

JeffD

Brian W Smith
05-12-2014, 4:02 PM
I keep harping away at this notion,and will continue to do so,haha.

I really like having a "Big N little" setup on BS's.A nice older,sweet 14" for contour work and quick jobs in general....they get up to speed really quick,get the job done with no drama,and then you cut'm off.Then a 20" or bigger for resaw work.And here's where buying used can really pay big benny's.We run the livin snot out of a Grizz 514X.It's sporting custom DC,an over work air injection,infeed/outfeed tables.It's on it's 3rd set of guide bearings.....been through a cpl motor caps.Got a custom C.I.,10" high resaw fence,powerfeed,yada,yada.........and yes,probably should have snagged a 24" model?

Just saying,if you really want to get on with the work.....a small 14" and a larger resaw machine IS,the way to go.Good luck with your search.

Herr Dalbergia
05-12-2014, 4:57 PM
Buy a used one, there is not one reason to buy a new bandsaw.....

Mike Heidrick
05-12-2014, 5:13 PM
A $1350 24 " SCMI is not typical of used saws anywhere, even in Michigan. That would be a gem if in good shape.

Can you handle 350, 1000, or a 2000lb saw? The G0513 is 342lbs - a new SCMI/MM24 is ~1000lbs. A Northfield might be 1500-2000lbs (guess). A typical traditional 14" saw is ~160lbs.

Jim German
05-14-2014, 3:37 PM
I was in the same position (see this thread (http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthread.php?217383-New-vs-Old-Bandsaw)) and ended with a used 20" Northfield. I'm picking it up tomorrow and will let you know if I wish I had gotten a new one.

Well, I got the saw, and while I was picking it up I stopped by the grizzly showroom. I think if I had to do it again I would have gotten a New Grizzly instead of a used one. The used one is in pretty good shape, but its going to need some work and I'd be quite surprised if at the end of the day it works better than the Grizzly of comparable price. The only other thought is that the resale of the Northfield will probably be about what I payed for it, while the Grizzly will lose a good bit of value.

Frederick Skelly
05-14-2014, 7:46 PM
I have the Rikon. Love it.

If you can afford the Laguna, buy it. I dont think you could go wrong.

Whatever you buy, make sure you have the proper electrical service (120 vs 220, etc).

Let us know what you buy!

Fred