PDA

View Full Version : Needed to work out some "Bad Vibes"

steven c newman
05-11-2014, 1:47 PM
Over the past week or so. been a real Grumpier Old Man, in fact. Found a piece of ( I think) Poplar in the wood pile outside. Decided to take things out on it. 289070Since I was in an ugly mood, might as well have an ugly board to work on. Plane is a Stanley #31. made a lot of crunchies ( Old Groat from an Old goat?)289071Just the start. Still feeling mean, got out two Jack planes289072A custom rebuilt Bailey #5. Iron has no camber. Waxed the sole of these iron planes, first. Ok the "other' jack is taking a break289073Junior jack, Four Square style. Still getting mean, so a smoother or two came out of hiding289074 Found out that my Millers Falls #9 had a slight problem289075 I could plane with the outside edges of the iron, only.:mad: Center of the edge was worn down a bit. Great, another iron to be sharpened up. :mad: On to the "newest" plane in the shop ( for now)289076The Shipleigh's #4. Yep, saving this one for the rough stuff.:rolleyes: 10+ inches long, and weighs as much as a Jack plane. Finally getting a bit worn out, and calmed down289077So, how about a Stanley-made-for Wards #3? Light weight. Easy to use. WWII Vet. Enough of the poplar, how about some Figured Cherry? find out in the next reply...:D

steven c newman
05-11-2014, 1:53 PM
Now, about that piece of Figured Cherry? Just some scrap wood I had leftover. Would be nice to have it smoothed out. Maybe a York pitch frog plane will do?289078just an $8 West German Dunlap #3, with a metric width iron. No chatter, either. had to wax the sole a bit, then it flew along the surface. Arms getting a bit sore. Got the faces of the poplar boards done, too. Seems one of the splits on the ends was a glue line. One whack on a big chisel to split the line. Saw the bad ends off. One saw used skipped out of the cut, and across my thumb at the nail. Put it away, got out a longer, safer saw. Just another day in Paradise....

Winton Applegate
05-11-2014, 7:31 PM
RAMMMMM
OOOOOOHHHHHhhhhhmmmmmm

You got me so calm from your post that I am going to skip my get out the bad vibes routine.
Thanks !

Incase you were wondering

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ltypo8IycW8

Mike Holbrook
05-12-2014, 1:02 AM
No, no, no Winton, way to messsy. I mean is that an acceptable kerf????

Here is a thinking man's logging tool:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XU-kyap7IAE

steven c newman
05-12-2014, 2:30 AM
Nah, still too messy...might go in the other direction289141have a little bit of 100 yr old White Oak, and an hour or three to play around289142Ah, But, I dinna say I was done, now, did I? Some Dummy still can't saw worth a .....