PDA

View Full Version : Focus Height

Julian Ashcroft
05-11-2014, 1:15 PM
I have just taken delivery if a Shenhui G350 laser. Set up seemed pretty easy and getting the optics correct only took about 20 minutes. Software up and running, manual seems to talk about a different version to what I have, but it isn't too much different to the antiquated Roland Dr Engrave, which I use on my engraving machine and quite used too. Have done a few test runs on mdf and everything seems to work as it should and overall very pleased so far with my purchase.

No doubt I will have lots of questions, which I hope nobody minds. The first one is about distance between the work piece and the laser head, there doesn't seem to be anything in the manual about what the distance should be, so it's been a case of trial and error, is this how I should work it out or is there a set distance I should be aware of?

Once I get it sorted, I will most likely make some type of measuring device for future use.

Jerome Stanek
05-11-2014, 2:08 PM
Place a piece of mdf on an angle on your table and draw a line from the bottom to the top in your software and cut it at a low power setting. move the head to the spot that has the smallest mark and then measure from there to your head. that should give you the best cut and you can then make a gauge to set your laser.

Julian Ashcroft
05-11-2014, 5:20 PM
Thanks, will give that a go.