PDA

View Full Version : Can't call it Lemonade...

Scott Shepherd
05-11-2014, 12:52 PM
I went to a supermarket for lunch, one that sells hot food and all that stuff. Went to get a drink and thought "I'll get some lemonade" from their "drink bar". They have one of the high tech drink machines from Coke that mixes about a zillion drinks and right on the screen is "Minute Maid Lemonade". Great, or so I thought. It had a little tag line under the icon that said "0% juice".

0%???? If your Lemonade has 0% juice, can you really call it "Lemonade"?

Who wants a fruit juice based drink with 0% of the juice they are looking for????

That's like selling steak and saying "0% beef" :) Then it's not steak, is it?

ray hampton
05-11-2014, 1:09 PM
I went to a supermarket for lunch, one that sells hot food and all that stuff. Went to get a drink and thought "I'll get some lemonade" from their "drink bar". They have one of the high tech drink machines from Coke that mixes about a zillion drinks and right on the screen is "Minute Maid Lemonade". Great, or so I thought. It had a little tag line under the icon that said "0% juice".

Who wants a fruit juice based drink with 0% of the juice they are looking for????

we can buy turkey steak, fish steak , pork steak or beef steak and they will not taste the same

Scott Shepherd
05-11-2014, 1:20 PM
we can buy turkey steak, fish steak , pork steak or beef steak and they will not taste the same

Turkey Steak isn't steak, silly :)

That's like saying turkey bacon is bacon :)

It should be called "turkey stuff that is made to look like real bacon but taste different" and the drinks should be called "Stuff that looks and tastes somewhat like Lemonade but contains no traces of an actual lemon", or "Synthetic Lemonade" :)

ray hampton
05-11-2014, 1:40 PM
Turkey Steak isn't steak, silly :)

That's like saying turkey bacon is bacon :)

It should be called "turkey stuff that is made to look like real bacon but taste different" and the drinks should be called "Stuff that looks and tastes somewhat like Lemonade but contains no traces of an actual lemon", or "Synthetic Lemonade" :)

I not silly and I am not stupid either , because I am not the party that call the turkey cut of meat steak, what do you think about fish steak ?

Scott Shepherd
05-11-2014, 1:44 PM
what do you think about fish steak ?

It's called "fish". No need to confuse it by calling it a "fish steak" :) That's just some fish marketing guy trying to freeload off the steak people :)

Mike Chance in Iowa
05-11-2014, 1:56 PM
... and what about syrup that does not contain any maple in it!

Jerome Stanek
05-11-2014, 1:59 PM
... and what about syrup that does not contain any maple in it!

All syrups don't have contain maple Karo, Cough, and Berry don't

Bill Cunningham
05-11-2014, 2:21 PM
I've also wondered about cheese that's labeled "cheese food".. If it has to be labeled " food" is it so that it's not confused with "cheese paint"? Or, maybe cheese food is what they feed the smaller cheeses to make them grow?

Chuck Wintle
05-11-2014, 3:06 PM

just be glad it does not include the words "made with water processed by your local sewage plant". That would make me stop.

John Sanford
05-11-2014, 4:31 PM
I've also wondered about cheese that's labeled "cheese food".. If it has to be labeled " food" is it so that it's not confused with "cheese paint"? Or, maybe cheese food is what they feed the smaller cheeses to make them grow?

A "cheese food" is a product that is a mix of real cheese and some other ingredients. The best known examples of "cheese food" are Velveeta and American cheese. The additional products blended with the cheese account for the superb melting qualities of both Velveeta and American cheese, and the extended shelf life of Velveeta. By law, any product that resembles cheese, and contains over a certain amount of real cheese but is not 100% cheese is labeled "cheese food."

Another example of oddly named foods is Canadian bacon. 'Tis neither bacon, nor, to my knowledge, must it made either using or by Canadians. Go figure....

Ryan Mooney
05-11-2014, 4:46 PM
just be glad it does not include the words "made with water processed by your local sewage plant". That would make me stop.

Hah, well if you get your water downstream from another town odds are that its "water processed by your upstream neighbors sewage plant" already :eek: :D

Dan Hintz
05-11-2014, 4:55 PM
Wegman's, Steve?

Jay Jolliffe
05-11-2014, 5:02 PM
I read in the New Yorker a few years ago about flavors. You'd be really surprised where they get some of the flavors that end up in the food we eat. It's note even close to the flavor that it's called....

Andrew Joiner
05-11-2014, 5:31 PM
This is a major chuckle for me. It seems right to assume what a product calls itself is what it is. WRONG! You must read the ingredient list to know what your consuming.
Marketing and branding is for suckers.

"Minute Maid Lemonade" sounds better than water and corn syrup.

Jerome Stanek
05-11-2014, 7:14 PM
Hah, well if you get your water downstream from another town odds are that its "water processed by your upstream neighbors sewage plant" already :eek: :D

Where do fish go when the need calls

Pat Barry
05-11-2014, 7:27 PM
Chicken tenders made from the tenderloin of the chicken??

Scott Shepherd
05-11-2014, 7:59 PM
Wegman's, Steve?

Wegman's? HA, I wish Dan! If if were Wegman's, they'd have someone fresh squeezing lemons for you :)

We don't have those down here. They just announced about a week ago they were opening 2 of them here, so I can't wait. Finally a REAL grocery store. Those places are done right. I have a family member that does something with stores like that, and he tells me they get voted as one of the best places in the industry to work year after year by their employees.

Bill Cunningham
05-11-2014, 10:00 PM
Up here, we eat the same bacon you do and we never hear the words "Canadian Bacon" I think that's an American term..However, we do have peameal bacon...

Jim Matthews
05-12-2014, 7:14 AM
I read in the New Yorker a few years ago about flavors. You'd be really surprised where they get some of the flavors that end up in the food we eat. It's note even close to the flavor that it's called....

Half of New Jersey's chemists are employed in this endeavor.

The good side of that is things like Cheetos.
The bad side of that is things like Tang.

The legitimate complaint about weasels writing the food labels must be separated from what happens in the labs.
One is intended to profit the sellers, the other to satisfy the buyer.

http://io9.com/5958880/how-flavor-chemists-make-your-food-so-addictively-good

Pat Barry
05-12-2014, 8:39 AM
Up here, we eat the same bacon you do and we never hear the words "Canadian Bacon" I think that's an American term..However, we do have peameal bacon...
FYI - Here in Minny, Canadian bacon is a thin slice of ham - completely unlike real bacon. Bacon is bacon strips.