PDA

View Full Version : Arts and Crafts Dining Room Table!

Michael Pfau
06-26-2005, 6:56 PM
Just wanted to share with you all my latest adventure! Arts and Crafts Dining room table and chairs. Here is the table done with the construction end. Quartersawn White Oak. The table is 6 feet long, by 42" wide. The legs are 3 and half inches square. Quite massive! Its coming out great. More pictures to come as it gets finished. After the table, then comes the chairs to match. This the set will match the piesafe I made last winter. Thanks for looking!

Bob Marino
06-26-2005, 7:08 PM
Mike,

Looks great so far and you are correct - massive! What will your finish and top coat be?

Bob

Michael Pfau
06-26-2005, 7:10 PM
I will be using a dye, then shallac, and then wipe on poly.
Mike,

Looks great so far and you are correct - massive! What will your finish and top coat be?

Bob

Robby Phelps
06-26-2005, 7:13 PM
Looks great micheal. Keep us posted on the progress!

Jerry Olexa
06-26-2005, 7:18 PM
Very nice work!! Love your joinery and the top. How will you finish?

Jim Becker
06-26-2005, 7:34 PM
Mike, outstanding!! Great job and it's a very sturdy design, too. 'Can't wait to see it with the finish on.

Richard Wolf
06-26-2005, 7:39 PM
Fine looking table.

Richard

Gail O'Rourke
06-26-2005, 7:41 PM
Michael,

I love it, the through tenons are perfectly executed. Massive is the only word for it. It is gorgeous. How many board feet would you say that you have into this project?

John Miliunas
06-26-2005, 8:17 PM
Holy smokes, Mike! Me thinks you could park a pickup on that and not worry! Looks beautiful and the joinery is fantastic!:) As stated, I'll be keeping an eye out for the finished piece! Great job.:) :cool:

Sam Blasco
06-26-2005, 9:31 PM
very finely executed. refined mass. add some removable vises and it can double as a secondary workbench when needed. i like it.

Ken Fitzgerald
06-26-2005, 9:49 PM
Excellent craftsmanship Mike! Great piece!

Pete Harbin
06-26-2005, 9:54 PM
Mike,

That table looks fantastic...really beautiful piece! That is a lot of oak...probably weighs as much as you jointer! :D

Pete

Dennis Peacock
06-26-2005, 9:54 PM
Very nice table you got there Mike!!!!! I really like the design and the sturdy construction. Pat yourself on the back for a job well done thus far.

Roy Wall
06-26-2005, 11:35 PM
Mike - excellent job - beautiful joints - and yes....like an aircraft carrier!!:)

I think that will hold a meal or too...................:) :rolleyes:

Chris Padilla
06-27-2005, 12:39 AM
Wow! Beefy is all that comes to mind...oh, and the joinery ain't half-bad either! ;)

Should be fun to move! :D Superb job!

Kirk (KC) Constable
06-27-2005, 6:38 AM
I've been struggling to come up with an A&C type design for LOML's table, and this one is very, very close to what I've been trying to 'see'. :) Mine will be maybe 6" longer, but essentially that's what she wants.

Obviously, we like it. Nice details, nice work.

KC

Keith Starosta
06-27-2005, 7:52 AM
Man, I just love this look! That is a great-looking piece, Michael. The A&C style is just so clean and beautiful. I just wish that I could talk LOML into liking it as much...

Keith

larry merlau
06-27-2005, 8:26 AM
that is mighty fine table there, good joinery and very nice style. that table will last many decades and i am sure will be more stunnig as the finish is done.. great job..

Steve Inniss
06-27-2005, 9:34 AM
Michael, that's one beautiful table ...and QS on all 4 leg sides - nice. Looks like superb joinery there. Please get right to the finishing so we can see more pics.

Did you consider and reject breadboard ends? -Steve

John Miliunas
06-27-2005, 10:03 AM
add some removable vises and it can double as a secondary workbench when needed.

Funny how WW's think alike. The same thought had crossed my mind, as well!:D :) :cool:

Mark Valsi
06-27-2005, 10:05 AM
Very Very nice !

Tyler Howell
06-27-2005, 10:22 AM
Awesome!:cool:

Would make a very stylish and solid bench:rolleyes:

Effie Lever
06-27-2005, 10:37 AM
Great looking table Michael, very nice work. I hope it’s easy to disassemble & reassemble unless you have 42” doors in the dining room. But if it does get stuck in the shop you’ll have a great workbench.;)

Effie

Jason Tuinstra
06-27-2005, 10:41 AM
Michael, this looks great! I love the thicker table top. I'm sure you can't wait to get this one done. Be sure to show us how she looks.

Kevin Herber
06-27-2005, 9:48 PM
Michael, outstanding design and execution. I have been a long time A&C fan but have not been able to find examples with proportions that felt quite right - until now. You hit it on the head. I even sat in the original hall tree that Norm copied at the Grove Park Inn in Asheville, NC and it just did not feel "right".

They say "Immitation is the sincerest form of flattery." Having said that, I hope you won't mind if I use your proportions for my future projects.

Do you have a web site? I would like a LOT of details on how you built this as well as your pie safe (I just looked that up again and thoroughly enjoyed it too!)

Can you post some close ups of the legs? It looks like you veneered them to get quartersawn on all four sides a la Stickley. If I observed correctly, it appears the veneer is about 3/16 thick.

Actually, more detail on the entire project would be greatly appreciated.

I am traveling to Wyoming next week. Sure wish I could get up your way but don't have time to go that far north.

Keep up the great work - you are truly inspiring me.

-- Kevin

Dan Gill
06-28-2005, 4:01 PM
It looks beautiful! How are you going to lift it?

Russ Massery
06-28-2005, 8:17 PM
Great job! what are the over all dimensions? I and SWMBO Love art & craft furniture.:D

martyphee
06-28-2005, 8:37 PM
Are the legs solid? Nice table.

Dan Forman
06-29-2005, 3:53 AM
Lovely job, I think "massive" is a bit of an understatement. Glad I don't have to move it anywhere. Will be watching for the final pic's.

Dan