PDA

View Full Version : Replacement for LaserCut 5.3 / 3.3 software and Controller?

Bill George
05-10-2014, 1:30 PM
So my Storm 500 with the Leetro controller will be here next week. I was assuming it was dongle free and like the LaserCad software I was going to use with my Buildlog 2.x laser. Wrong.

It looks like 5.3 is a minor step forward from 3.3 which is suppose to come with the machine. I've used the LaserCad software demo from LightObject and its really pretty good. Much better than LaserCut.

So is there a 6.x upgrade coming for the Leetro or is the best thing to do is remove the Leetro and install a LightObject controller with the dongle free LaserCad and be done with it once and for all??

Rodne Gold
05-11-2014, 2:58 AM
Why do you want to "upgrade" before even running the software? Is there something specific the supplied software cannot do?

walter hofmann
05-11-2014, 6:02 AM
hi
I personaly hate the dongle and with the controller it depends what version of the leetro controller you get, I just know from quite a few guys who all had leetro controller that after first testing there was trouble .
I mean the AWC 608 doesn matter where you get it its the best right now . the latest software and OS update for this is V 6.91 it has minor updates against the v. 6.83.
if you wana try it send me a PM
greetings
waltfl

Bill George
05-11-2014, 10:40 AM
Why do you want to "upgrade" before even running the software? Is there something specific the supplied software cannot do?

Yes. I want the freedom to design on one computer and either use it or my other laptop in the shop to run the machine. I have used both programs and the LightObject sourced LaserCad is better. Yes I understand you don't really use LaserCad to design but there are times when I might need too.
I don't like being tied to a dongle, will it work or will it not? Not a "free" replacement as I understand.
Surprising the Chinese pirate software all the time, but when it comes time for software they've written then its protected with a dongle.

I have always used with any CNC machine I've owned, the ability to design and cut on any computer.

Scott Shepherd
05-11-2014, 11:16 AM
Surprising the Chinese pirate software all the time, but when it comes time for software they've written then its protected with a dongle.

I'm stumped on why they don't used USB and ethernet on everything. They make all the ports and plugs. I don't know why they love the USB to Serial adapter so much.

Bill George
05-11-2014, 1:17 PM
I'm stumped on why they don't used USB and ethernet on everything. They make all the ports and plugs. I don't know why they love the USB to Serial adapter so much.
Scott The Chinese don't innovate, they copy as everyone knows. The Leetro is probably a copy of a US or German designed controller, its cheap and it works so why upgrade?? Getting rid of the dongle would take time and some changes, so why bother.