PDA

View Full Version : Bottle Stoppers

Jak Kelly
05-10-2014, 1:28 PM
Okay, I have about a dozen or so completed bottle stoppers, I also have a cousin who owns and operates a thrift store in a small town. Talked with her and she would like the oppurtunity to sale some of my bottle stoppers. She also thinks the price range should be somewhere $15. With that being said, I knew there was no way I could buy stainless or chrome stoppers and make anything, so I switched to the silicone stoppers that are $9 a 10-pack at Woodcraft. Which helps tremendously to drop the cost.

I also decided to not make them one piece and got some dowl-rod to use. Also learned that dowl-rod chucked up in a drill chuck does not work well, tore up the dowl-rod and is not very stable. So I have gone back to mounting on my 3/8"-16 mandrel, drill and tap the piece, then take it to the drill press when completed to ream out for the 1/2" dowl rod. Seems to work well.

Anyway, here is a picture of a 9 or so, did one last night out of marble wood, then used the end cap of a motorcycle grip to cap off the top of it, looks cool (may have to keep that one).

My next stop is a cigar shop close by, I want to see if the owner is interested in a display.289025289026

Thoughts, ideas, opinions................I have thick skin and skull, so do not worry.

Jak Kelly
05-10-2014, 1:33 PM
Here is a better picture of the one with a chrome top.

Dan Hintz
05-10-2014, 1:51 PM
Have you tested that chrome with red wine? I find chrome is eaten/destroyed pretty quickly and looks horrible.

Jak Kelly
05-10-2014, 2:01 PM
Have you tested that chrome with red wine? I find chrome is eaten/destroyed pretty quickly and looks horrible.

Good point, but do take notice that the chrome is on top of the stopper. Not saying that it can't get any wine or red wine on it.

Dan Masshardt
05-10-2014, 2:44 PM
Cool.

If you're going to keep making a bunch, I'd get a collet chuck. They work well for holding dowels. I use mine all the time.

Jak Kelly
05-10-2014, 11:15 PM
Cool.

If you're going to keep making a bunch, I'd get a collet chuck. They work well for holding dowels. I use mine all the time.

Yes, I agree, that would work a lot better. That way I wouldn't have to worry about messing up a finish when drilling out on a completed project. For now my 3/8"-16 tap + mandrel + drill 1/2" hole for dowel is going to have to work.

Dan Masshardt
05-11-2014, 7:38 AM
Judging by your pics it's working just fine.

I use the stepped dowels from csusa. They aren't all that expensive and are just the right size for the silicone.

Jak Kelly
05-11-2014, 12:19 PM
Judging by your pics it's working just fine.

I use the stepped dowels from csusa. They aren't all that expensive and are just the right size for the silicone.

Dan, do you sale any of yours?

Dan Masshardt
05-11-2014, 4:00 PM
Dan, do you sale any of yours?

Yeah, but not many. Most of what I sell right now is pens along with a few other things.

I don't have a steady market for stoppers but I make them as I feel like it or they're requested. More stainless inserts but some cork or silicone.

Jak Kelly
05-11-2014, 4:09 PM
Yeah, but not many. Most of what I sell right now is pens along with a few other things.

I don't have a steady market for stoppers but I make them as I feel like it or they're requested. More stainless inserts but some cork or silicone.

Okay, thanks for the input, I do appreciate it. I also managed to take a look at the collet chuck, not as pricey as I expected it to be either. But for now my method will have to do.

Dan Masshardt
05-11-2014, 11:55 PM
Another option is to get a morse taper collet with a drawbar if you are only going to need one size. They are less expensive.

Ron Brown sells them through peachtree woodworking. I believe he uses this method for stoppers.

The pennstate collet chuck kit is a good bargain. I just upgraded from it to the beall collet chuck.

But by all means continue on as you have been. I just thought if throw out some other options in case you want to change it up down the road.

Jak Kelly
05-12-2014, 1:32 PM
Another option is to get a morse taper collet with a drawbar if you are only going to need one size. They are less expensive.

Ron Brown sells them through peachtree woodworking. I believe he uses this method for stoppers.

The pennstate collet chuck kit is a good bargain. I just upgraded from it to the beall collet chuck.

But by all means continue on as you have been. I just thought if throw out some other options in case you want to change it up down the road.

I appreciate the advise. I really do, as I am still learning. I also have a tendency to play it safe, research, then figure out my next move. I jumped into the bottle openers, stoppers, coffee scoop............because they are basically easy projects to learn on, build confidence on, inspire some ideas from..............plus those areas also looked like it was a lot cheaper to get into. I will be expanding my turning knowledge, trying new things, buying more tooling and probably be drooling over a 2 hp unit before long!!!!

Dan Masshardt
05-12-2014, 7:53 PM
You are off to a really solid start. You got some nice beads turned on some of those.

I like the creativity of seeing that chrome cap work.

I found some Air Force jacket buttons at a yard sale that I recessed into stoppers.