PDA

View Full Version : Porch Ceiling--job for the pros?

Matt Meiser
05-10-2014, 10:25 AM
Our porch, maybe 8x20' has a ceiling made from vinyl soffit material. Because its so flexible, it sags and looks like heck. Worse the wind regularly blows in the soffit venting and pops down the last section which is supposed to be held up by the J-channel but being so flexible it pops right out. I'm considering 2 options. First, I'm having my shop resided this summer in traditional pole-barn steel. I'm considering having the guy add doing the porch ceiling in white steel to the bid. This would definitely be durable and while it wouldn't look bad it would be a little non-traditional. Second would be to use the same type of material that's there now but in aluminum (which I can get at Menards or a local siding/roofing supplier) which I would assume would be much more rigid. Is this a DIY job or are there special tools and skills required. Doesn't APPEAR any more difficult than installing vinyl siding.

Or if there are other options I should look at I'd be open to that too, however I'm looking for a maintenance free solution--no painting! I consdered an Azek solution until I realized what kind of square footage I'm looking at.

Kent A Bathurst
05-10-2014, 11:07 AM
Don't want much, do you? :D

There are a number of excellent synthetic products - You know the Azek name, but that is one of a number of brand names. One in particular - name escapes me at the moment - makes an outstanding product that is T&G porch flooring, plus other profiles as well.

Installs just line any other T&G product - flooring, siding, etc. Line it up, seat it, fire finish nails at an angle through the tongue.

I grant you the $/SF sticker shock. However - if you truly want a "fire-and-forget" solution, which also looks identical to traditional beaded ceiling board, or some other profile. The very last time you would ever have to do this project.

On the metal/vinyl questions, I got nuttin'.

Good luck, Matt.

Mel Fulks
05-10-2014, 11:24 AM
In that location painting once would be enough . I would use a plywood or Masonite material with the seams and perimeter
trimmed with a mitred astragal type moulding. Or even neatly applied lattice stuff.

Mike Lassiter
05-10-2014, 2:14 PM
couldn't you just use trim nails or maybe staples and fasten to the ceiling joist to keep it from drooping or falling out? I moved a mobile home with such a front porch and had to remove and reinstall the porch to the front of the house. It had what I think you have on the under side that the joist where hide by. You could use roofing nails if nothing else and paint them to match the color of the vinyl.

John Conklin
05-10-2014, 6:45 PM
If it were me, I'd just use T1-11. I realize you said no painting, but we had it at our last house on a screened in porch and have it currently on an open front porch. Since it's not exposed to rain or sun, painting is a once every 20 year proposition or when the boss says we need a different color. Then again, I don't mind painting all the much either.

Bill Edwards(2)
05-10-2014, 6:57 PM
We redid our house about 10 years ago and used the aluminum. You're right it isn't tough to work with at all.
Last year we did the MIL's house and used the steel. It was about the same amount of work, but I like the look of the steel more.
You did not mention venting, but both come with vented and non-vented pieces.

Brad Adams
05-10-2014, 7:23 PM
Pre-finished smart side panel?

Charlie Velasquez
05-10-2014, 9:13 PM
If you have j-channel at both sides it is way too long of a span. Whatever the span, cut it by an appropriate percentage with a T-channel.
Remove the entire soffit material (ten minutes)
If you have one t-channel(s) already, Add a couple of more T-channel so you have 4 2' sections. (if you have none, consider adding 2, so each section will be 32")
Cut the channels to the appropriate length.

Matt Meiser
05-10-2014, 11:38 PM
Its nailed through a nailing flange to the lower chord of the trusses for the porch room ever 2'

Its not bead-board--just looks like unvented soffit material.

Rick Potter
05-11-2014, 6:30 PM
I have two porches. The first one is 60' long and 8' wide. I had the ceiling done with 6" T&G. It cost a fortune, and looks really nice.

The second one is also 8' wide and 24"' long with a 22 degree turn. I had it done in T1-11 and I like it even better, not to mention the cost was much cheaper.

Rick Potter