PDA

View Full Version : Isle Royal

Moses Yoder
05-10-2014, 6:35 AM
Has anyone else been to Isle Royal? My wife's uncle had been there 4 times and we talked about doing a trip together. I went to our local used bookstore and found a copy of "The Complete Walker" by Colin Fletcher. This is the only book you need if you want to learn about hiking; I ended up being well prepared, having everything I needed without having too much due to the information in this book. I went to Cabela's and bought a pair of Danner hiking boots and a nice lightweight tent, I found a pack on sale somewhere else and I starting walking 2 miles a day with a forty pound pack. The time came and we drove up though Michigan to Copper harbor and spent the night. The next morning we took the boat over to the island and the hike began. It would be a week before we had a shower and a hamburger. We walked about 30 miles that week, 13 miles one day, got lots of pictures, played cribbage, and had a wonderful experience. Heard the wolves howl; I did not see any moose but my partner did. The weather was great; we took rain coats but only used them once. I will never forget that trip. Here is a pic of me on the hill beside Lake Ritchie I think (pretty sure).

Judson Green
05-10-2014, 9:44 AM
Many years ago (like 25ish, I was 13-16) with my bother and dad. We took a sea plane to the island and the slow, very slow, boat back. Were there for about a week, lots of hiking (I was a kid, so I've no idea how many miles) tried fishing a few times, no joy. Freeze dried food actually isn't that bad. I had fun then and would probably enjoy it more as an adult.

Read a book (A walk in the woods, by Bill Bryson) last year about hiking the Appalachian Trail, I'd like to do that or some of that.