PDA

View Full Version : Giving DNA a try

Gary Max
06-26-2005, 5:29 PM
Well I finally broke down and spent the money and bought 6 gallons of DNA and some heavy Trash bags. This will take a couple of days but lets see if it works for me.
I am starting with a Walnut Crotch---when I cut the blank out-- there is pith running the three directions. The wood is so wet that I wiped the lathe down with WD.40 after I had it roughed out.
Here are the first two pics----cutting the blank out

John Hart
06-26-2005, 10:15 PM
Good luck on your venture Gary. I found the walnut to really drink the alcohol a lot....'course then...I know some people like that too!

John Miliunas
06-26-2005, 10:28 PM
Good luck on your venture Gary. I found the walnut to really drink the alcohol a lot....'course then...I know some people like that too!

John, that was absolutely inexcusable!:D :D :D

Gary, good luck with the procedure and keep us posted once that piece of Walnut checks out of AA!:) :cool:

Jeff Sudmeier
06-27-2005, 8:22 AM
John, that was absolutely inexcusable!:D :D :D

Gary, good luck with the procedure and keep us posted once that piece of Walnut checks out of AA!:) :cool:
Hopefully it won't be "checked" when it checks out!!

Tom Stover
06-27-2005, 8:29 AM
Let us know how it turns out Gary. With walnut it shouldn't take long after you turn it.

Gary Max
06-27-2005, 2:08 PM
Well here is day two----I got some ideals from Mr.Peacock on how to go about this and here is what I came up with.
Trash bags are 3 mil---I went ahead and used two--just to be safe.
There is 4 inches of sawdust in the bottom of the container for bedding.
I used two gallons for this blank.
Seems to be drying fast.

Carole Valentine
06-27-2005, 4:05 PM
You put it in there faceplate and all? Never seen anyone do that. Guess that's one way of keeping it from floating! LOL I'd be careful when turning the lathe on when you get ready to final turn it. Don't have any idea if the soak would compromise the integrity of the faceplate mounting or not. I usually turn a tenon for the chuck before the soak. Of course you have to round the tenon once it's dry. With a bowl of that thickness, I would think it would probably take about 2 weeks or more for it to be totally dry.

Gary Max
07-07-2005, 3:39 PM
After Two weeks---it was ready to turn.
This system seems to work great any other time this blank would of just cracked.

John Hart
07-07-2005, 3:46 PM
Congratulations Gary! It sure is purty. Colors look great!So...right there where the knot is on the left...did you have problems with "fuzzies" on the inside and outside after the alcohol? I'm just wondering if I should soak longer.

Gary Max
07-07-2005, 3:57 PM
John I really should of cut that out of the blank. I just wanted to see if work---the hairlines you are talking about---I filled them with CA. Then sanded them down.

John Hart
07-07-2005, 4:01 PM
Well...for me personally, if I am going to conduct a test, I choose something that tests the limits and I think you've done that. I've had good results with the alcohol. It is my method of choice. I thank Dave Smith for his research and some of the Chemists I work with.

Don Baer
07-07-2005, 6:30 PM
Gary;

That " came out shore Purty"

Gary Max
07-07-2005, 7:05 PM
Thanks folks --- for all the kind words. I am happy with the outcome.