PDA

View Full Version : thermal panels for door construction.

jack forsberg
05-09-2014, 8:39 PM
making back to back panels better for energy consumption.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=raDxhxPaIko

Larry Edgerton
05-10-2014, 8:11 AM
I use 1/2" Urethane foam in exterior doors and panels. I have wanted to try foil but was afraid of warpage. No issues with that Jack? I'm sure not or you wouldn't use it, silly question.

Larry

jack forsberg
05-10-2014, 8:43 AM
I use 1/2" Urethane foam in exterior doors and panels. I have wanted to try foil but was afraid of warpage. No issues with that Jack? I'm sure not or you wouldn't use it, silly question.

Larry

Very important that the foil is not facing the sun/out side of the door or it will bake that side like a meat loaf. On thinner doors i just use tin foil shinny side facing in as a vapor barrier..

Bradley Gray
05-10-2014, 9:04 AM
Nicely done, Jack. I have done a few insulated doors with double panels but without the foil/air space. I like your method better.

I have also used weatherstripping and foam glazing gaskets from www.conservationtechnology (http://www.<strong>conservationtechnology</strong>).com/ for many years - great stuff!

Mel Fulks
05-10-2014, 11:40 AM
Jack, I came in late on your video. So for a minute I thought it was Martha Stewart making a casserole ,or something! I'm
not much of a scientist (guess I could never design kitchens!) ...I'm sure you are right about the foil ,but since it is not
exposed to sunlight,I don't really understand how the direction could make a difference.

jack forsberg
05-10-2014, 2:11 PM
Jack, I came in late on your video. So for a minute I thought it was Martha Stewart making a casserole ,or something! I'm
not much of a scientist (guess I could never design kitchens!) ...I'm sure you are right about the foil ,but since it is not
exposed to sunlight,I don't really understand how the direction could make a difference.

LOL

Mel check this out as to how it works.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E1IwS0_lpBc

Joe Calhoon
05-10-2014, 7:34 PM
Jack,
Check out these panels.
http://www.holz-schiller.de/?p=haustuerfuellungsplatten&s=profi&l=EN
I want to come up with a natural cork infill for my panels.

I think solid infill is better than leaving an air gap. More foam or cork will give a better value than air. I believe in the sandwich the foil will act more as a vapor barrier than reflecting heat back.

We now install these the same as glass - Panels finished all sides, wet glaze unless they are wide raised panels, foam caulked on warm side of door and held with glass beads on the inside.

How thick is your sash?

Joe

David Kumm
05-10-2014, 8:08 PM
Joe, those panels look really interesting. Any idea how long they have been in the field, how they last, and what they cost? I'm assuming there is nothing comparable here in US or Canada? Dave

Mel Fulks
05-10-2014, 9:14 PM
Thanks,Jack. That is more of an explanation than I've seen before. It ,or something similar, is available in US. We have some
friends who have it in their attic and are real happy with the performance. If I remember right the company they bought it from only sold it with installation, but that was a few years back.

jack forsberg
05-10-2014, 9:22 PM
Jack,
Check out these panels.
http://www.holz-schiller.de/?p=haustuerfuellungsplatten&s=profi&l=EN
I want to come up with a natural cork infill for my panels.

I think solid infill is better than leaving an air gap. More foam or cork will give a better value than air. I believe in the sandwich the foil will act more as a vapor barrier than reflecting heat back.

We now install these the same as glass - Panels finished all sides, wet glaze unless they are wide raised panels, foam caulked on warm side of door and held with glass beads on the inside.

How thick is your sash?

Joe

Joe i have R10 in foam and 1/2 would add very little. the foil is for radiant heat something solid insulation is no good at.

Sash(single glaze) is 1" with 2.5" between the storm. the door has a 1" between the storm . Sash is operable in the door with a bug screen in the middle.

jack forsberg
05-10-2014, 9:26 PM
foil insulation is at least a 60 year old idea. have you ever wounder why the glass on your thermos is metal coated in its vacuum?

Thanks,Jack. That is more of an explanation than I've seen before. It ,or something similar, is available in US. We have some
friends who have it in their attic and are real happy with the performance. If I remember right the company they bought it from only sold it with installation, but that was a few years back.

Joe Calhoon
05-11-2014, 10:31 AM
Joe, those panels look really interesting. Any idea how long they have been in the field, how they last, and what they cost? I'm assuming there is nothing comparable here in US or Canada? Dave

Dave,
Those have been around a long time. There are several companies in Europe making components like that. Cost over there is less than you could produce in-house. To get them here is very expensive though. The wood window and door business is highly developed in Northern Europe.
We just completed our first 92mm thick triple gasket door and window job for a small passive house. Here is a picture of the door with a special hinge from Simonswerk to allow the wing gasket to be continuous. This is the same company that makes the Tectus hinge.
Joe289066

jack forsberg
05-11-2014, 10:38 AM
those are out swing Joe?

Joe Calhoon
05-11-2014, 5:47 PM
those are out swing Joe?

Inswing Jack,
We have a different system for outswing.

Joe