PDA

View Full Version : PayPal to sell in classifieds

Moses Yoder
05-09-2014, 7:22 PM
I have a PayPal account now, linked to a small separate bank account. I have a number of things I would like to sell to Creekers in the classifieds, mostly plane parts but also a couple nice tools. What is the process to allow people to pay me via PayPal using their credit card if I put something in the classified forum? My wife says we cannot take personal checks; I can do a bank certified check, a money order, or PayPal. I assume using a credit card through PayPal would be the method of choice for most people.

Myk Rian
05-09-2014, 7:29 PM
Paypal works by sending money to an e-mail address. (The one tied to your PP account)
That's all the buyer has to do.

Bruce Page
05-09-2014, 8:38 PM
USPS money orders are also a safe way to go.

John Conklin
05-09-2014, 8:42 PM
Also be sure to specify who is paying the Paypal fees. They can be paid by either the buyer or the seller.

Sam Murdoch
05-09-2014, 10:57 PM
Paypal works by sending money to an e-mail address. (The one tied to your PP account)
That's all the buyer has to do.

And yes the buyer can pay with a credit card or through their own Paypal account. Easy and secure for all parties. You know when the money has been paid and so no delay in shipping.

Mike Henderson
05-09-2014, 11:07 PM
Also be sure to specify who is paying the Paypal fees. They can be paid by either the buyer or the seller.
You can avoid PayPal fees on either party by specifying that the money is being sent to"family or friends". If you do that, PayPal will not help you if you have a problem with the transaction so only do it when you feel confident in the selling party.

Mike

Robert McGowen
05-09-2014, 11:12 PM
You can avoid PayPal fees on either party by specifying that the money is being sent to"family or friends". If you do that, PayPal will not help you if you have a problem with the transaction so only do it when you feel confident in the selling party.

Mike

You can also do it if you just feel like ripping off Paypal. Seriously????

Mike Henderson
05-09-2014, 11:52 PM
You can also do it if you just feel like ripping off Paypal. Seriously????
Ripping off PayPal??? They offer it as an option. And if you use it, you don't get their help in resolving any problems. Seems like a fair trade to me.

In case you don't remember, PayPay used to be free. They made their money on the "float" (they invested the money overnight, and the money people held in their accounts). It's not like PayPal is not making any money.

Additionally, PayPal is trying to become a major player in the electronic payment industry. If they're greedy when people make personal transactions, people won't use it. That's why they offer a no fee option for transferring money.

If you're the buyer and you want to have the "PayPal guarantee" by all means use the "Pay for goods and services" option. If you're the seller, you'd probably want people to use the "Send money to friends or family" option because you get the full amount.

Using an option that's offered by the company is not "Ripping off the company" in my opinion.

Mike

Moses Yoder
05-10-2014, 5:36 AM
Okay, I have been poking around on the PayPal site and found the "Request Money" button. If I have an email address I can send a request to the address which gives them the option of using their own PayPal account or a credit or debit card. Nice.

I don't mind paying the 2.9% for the convenience of instant pay.

John Conklin
05-10-2014, 7:58 AM
Moses, I should have also mentioned that I've used Paypal for almost 10 years and have spent thousands of dollars and have never had any problems... knock on wood. I've always bought and never sold though. I've been thinking about starting to sell some things and except PP, but haven't found out how to get money from the PP to my bank account. Hope it works well for you.

Jim Matthews
05-10-2014, 9:33 AM
Like John, I have good results with PayPal.
If I sell something to a familiar Creeker, I have sent the item to them for their approval first, and secured payment after. It's a reliable bunch, never yet have I been stiffed.

I also recommend the USPostal service money order. If there's doubt the Post Office can sort things out.

Mike Henderson
05-10-2014, 12:15 PM
Moses, I should have also mentioned that I've used Paypal for almost 10 years and have spent thousands of dollars and have never had any problems... knock on wood. I've always bought and never sold though. I've been thinking about starting to sell some things and accept PP, but haven't found out how to get money from the PP to my bank account. Hope it works well for you.
It's quite easy to do a transfer from PayPal to your bank account. If you poke around PayPal you'll find it under "My Account". Clicking on that button will give you a pull down menu. One option is "Withdraw". Under that will be "Transfer to Bank account".

You're limited to $500/mo unless you do some verification - I don't remember what that verification was, but it was pretty easy.

Mike

Judson Green
05-10-2014, 12:41 PM
Yep! Paypal is petty cool. I haven't sent a request for payment, just ask the buyer to use PayPal to blah@blahblah.com. Pretty slick. Haven't moved money into my back account, not enough dollars to bother. When your buying something with PayPal, it will use funds in your PayPal account before your cc/other is used.

Kev Williams
05-10-2014, 2:16 PM
I also recommend the USPostal service money order. If there's doubt the Post Office can sort things out.

Unless it gets lost in the mail...

Myk Rian
05-10-2014, 3:43 PM
Unless it gets lost in the mail...
Which happened to one I sent. 2 weeks after writing a check to cover it, the darned thing was delivered.
Took a month to get my money back from USPS. Never again, unless absolutely necessary.

John Conklin
05-10-2014, 6:40 PM
It's quite easy to do a transfer from PayPal to your bank account. If you poke around PayPal you'll find it under "My Account". Clicking on that button will give you a pull down menu. One option is "Withdraw". Under that will be "Transfer to Bank account".

You're limited to $500/mo unless you do some verification - I don't remember what that verification was, but it was pretty easy.

Mike

Thanks for the info Mike, that's very helpful.

John Fabre
05-11-2014, 2:35 AM
USPS money orders are also a safe way to go.
I was told by the post office that these are getting faked too much lately.

John Keeton
05-11-2014, 6:02 AM
Please keep in mind that when you signed up for PayPal, you agreed to their terms, a portion of which state:

"3.4 No Surcharges. You agree that you will not impose a surcharge or any other fee for accepting PayPal as a payment method. You may charge a handling fee in connection with the sale of goods or services, as long as the handling fee is not higher than the handling fee you charge for non-PayPal transactions."

[/B] If you are selling goods or services, you may not ask the buyer to send you a Personal Payment for the purchase."

This means you cannot ask the Buyer to pay the fees. In other words, state a price and say "add 3% for PayPal." You also cannot ask the buyer to participate in a blatant violation of the PayPal agreement by choosing a transfer of funds vs. a sale of goods. Not only is it unethical, but it is also a violation of your agreement with PayPal. SMC will not condone that activity and will remove Classified listings that attempt either.

Bill Cunningham
05-11-2014, 2:48 PM
Verification on your bank account consists of them making two small deposits, usually between .02 & .15 you then log on and tell them what the two deposits were. I send my customers a PayPal invoice. Which itemizes everything including s&h and taxes. I keep a copy in a binder, and the customer pays however they wish. I usually do a once a month transfer to my business account. Quick and easy, and much cheaper than using a credit card company for transactions. I take nothing over the counter but cash and company cheques from my regular customers.

Robert McGowen
05-11-2014, 6:11 PM
Using an option that's offered by the company is not "Ripping off the company" in my opinion.
Mike

So if an airline offers a "a bereavement airfare discount" but you are really traveling on vacation, it is okay to lie about why you are flying just because they offer it as an option for getting a reduced rate? Seriously??????

And thank you John Keeton for pointing out that SMC does not condone unethical behavior on their website, though apparently it is unclear on what people perceive as ethical or unethical.

Jim Matthews
05-12-2014, 7:18 AM
Which happened to one I sent. 2 weeks after writing a check to cover it, the darned thing was delivered.
Took a month to get my money back from USPS. Never again, unless absolutely necessary.

USPS did make good on their end of the guarantee, then?
Plenty of horror stories about frozen accounts, chargebacks and outright theft on PayPal.

When you receive a USPostal money order, the Post office can verify authenticity on the spot and pay the intended recipient cash on the spot.

The point is that first time sellers in the Creek have multiple options for payment, not exclusive requirements.

Jim Matthews
05-13-2014, 7:31 AM
I was told by the post office that these are getting faked too much lately.

Shenanigans.

If you go to the local post office, they can verify the note on the spot.
Fake note? Don't ship.

Real deal? Cash across the counter.

This is not news, and it's enforcement is far more robust than on PayPal which is essentially unregulated.
https://postalinspectors.uspis.gov/raddocs/pressroom/fakemo.htm

People who are victimized by fake Postal money orders are typically snared in a larger scam,
not those of us dealing with items on the order of $100 or less.

http://money.howstuffworks.com/paypal7.htm

PayPal isn't subject to FDIC oversight.

John Fabre
05-16-2014, 3:55 AM
Shenanigans.

If you go to the local post office, they can verify the note on the spot.
Fake note? Don't ship.

I wonder why I was told by the Post Office to wait a week to ship the item, they took my name, address and phone number.

Jim Matthews
05-16-2014, 7:18 AM
Did they decline to cash the note?

Did they tell you, at the counter - that it was a fake?

Do tell. Perhaps you know something we don't.

Given that there's a verification system,
available to anyone with a telephone - that's a surprise.

From Consumer reports;

Postal money ordersCheck them using the USPS money-order verification system (866-459-7822). It will compare the serial number and amount against a list of legitimate money orders that are between 48 hours and 90 days old. For a description of the security features to look for on a postal money order, go to www.usps.com/shop/accepting-money-orders.htm (https://www.usps.com/shop/accepting-money-orders.htm).
Cash them at a post office rather than at a bank or credit union, advises Michael Romano, a spokesman for the U.S. Postal Inspection Service. He says post office personnel are trained to spot counterfeits. In fiscal 2010, only 107 counterfeit postal money orders got through post offices.

http://www.consumerreports.org/cro/money/consumer-protection/counterfeit-currency-and-checks/overview/index.htm

I don't know how many money orders the Postal Service processed in 2010, but 107 undetected counterfeit notes in a year seems vanishingly small.
Compared to the protections offered by PayPal, that is significant.

https://www.usps.com/shop/accepting-money-orders.htm

Pat Barry
05-16-2014, 2:30 PM
Postal money order, like the USPS itself, are doomed to extinction, and probably very soon. The money orders themselves are way beyond their useful life. Why bother with this when you have credit cards, pay pal, etc. I wouldn't use a postal money order for anything.

Jim Becker
05-18-2014, 8:03 PM

Fees are always paid by the seller when they receive the money. If the seller wants the buyer to pay the fees, they need to adjust the price to account for the approximately 3% fee. As John points out, this may not be a kosher practice, particularly for a merchant. For private transactions, however...it happens all the time, particularly for big-ticket items.

Brian Elfert
05-19-2014, 11:00 AM
Merchants are now allowed to add credit card fees to credit card transactions, but the requirements are pretty strict. I believe the merchant has to give Visa/Mastercard 30 days notice, they must post signs, and they can only charge the exact percentage they get charged for taking credit cards. Credit card fees cannot be a profit center. I have yet to run into any merchant that is charging credit card fees so far.

A lot of wholesalers and sellers of expensive machinery and such have been charging credit cards fees all along and I'm not sure how they got away with it unless it was just that nobody reported them to Visa/Mastercard.

Chris Padilla
05-20-2014, 8:12 PM
Merchants are now allowed to add credit card fees to credit card transactions, but the requirements are pretty strict. I believe the merchant has to give Visa/Mastercard 30 days notice, they must post signs, and they can only charge the exact percentage they get charged for taking credit cards. Credit card fees cannot be a profit center. I have yet to run into any merchant that is charging credit card fees so far.

A lot of wholesalers and sellers of expensive machinery and such have been charging credit cards fees all along and I'm not sure how they got away with it unless it was just that nobody reported them to Visa/Mastercard.

From this was born the "cash discount" to give a discount as opposed to charging more (kinda sorta...they probably raised all their prices to cover the CC fees).

Myk Rian
05-20-2014, 9:21 PM
From this was born the "cash discount" to give a discount as opposed to charging more (kinda sorta...they probably raised all their prices to cover the CC fees).
Prime example being gas stations.