PDA

View Full Version : Enduro-Var spraying

James Hansen
05-09-2014, 1:45 PM
I am having a bit of a problem with follow on coats of GF Enduro=Var.

I am using a Appolo 1050VR and a 7500 gun with a 1.5 needle / nozzle and a B cup

If i spray E-V straight it is a bit orange peel, so i am thinning about 10% and I was playing with a small quantity so it might be a bit more than 10% (may be up to 20%)

So when I spray a follow on coat, it lays on like water on a wax surface, looks like it is beading up, if i apply it heavier, it will flow out and looks good. But the problem is when I flip that part ( a shelf) and now spry the top, when i am done and look at the bottom, the material is getting a lumpy look like it is starting to form drips.

Should i not thin and not worry about the orange peel, ( because I think the orange peel is a temporary condition and i flows out before it dries)

anyone have any experience and or ideas?

Jim

Andrew Fleck
05-09-2014, 2:10 PM
No need to thin GF enduro. It will initially look like orange peel until it dries. I normally spray 3 thinnish coats. Lighy scuffing with 320 or 400 between coats. I use the same method every time and never have any issues.

Andrew Fleck
05-09-2014, 2:14 PM
Also, if it is dripping when you flip it is going on too thick. Multiple thin coats are a lot easier than 1 or 2 thick ones.

James Hansen
05-10-2014, 12:35 AM
Thanks Andrew, I also talked to Tom from GF's and he gave me some good tips. I am going to try a 1.3 tip and no thinning.

Frank Martin
05-10-2014, 1:39 PM
I also recently used Enduro-var to spray a walnut table top using a Fuji 4-stage turbine and a Fuji gun. Tried different combinations and in the end what worked best was the 1.4mm tip and spraying a decently heavy coat. Another thing I initially did not pay attention was to reduce the size of the fan down to 6-8 inches and spray no more than 8 inches away from the surface. To remove orange peel and other imperfections between coats I sanded with Mirka Mirlon. Also sanded using 240g Abranet when needed. Now waiting for curing before buffing the finish.

I had previously sprayed Target finishes and Enduro is way heavier and also super durable, but not as nice to spray as my results with Target was better without much sanding between coats.

James Hansen
05-10-2014, 3:48 PM
great info Frank. I am having pretty good results today. I switched from a 1.5 to a 1.3 tip and nozzle, I am using E-V straight, no thinning, using a bit less pressure, my Apollo 1050VR is showing about 6 PSI and I also find a small fan pattern works best at no more than 8" away.

One thing i am learning to not worry about is the initial orange peel that is present right as you spray, it will flow out.