PDA

View Full Version : Oh Gee, a Layout (Per Pedro Reyes Request)

Jim Koepke
05-08-2014, 7:23 PM
[snip]
Please do share how to lay out the ends as well as any other pointers.

If you want to be fancy and say it in Latin this is a Cyma Reversa or just what some call an ogee.

Pedro Reyes asked me to share my layout method.

First is a link to Chris Schwarz using a compass to layout this design element:

http://www.popularwoodworking.com/woodworking-blogs/chris-schwarz-blog/learn-lay-ogee

That is more work than I like to do. Many times I have just drawn one by eye and then once it is cut out use it or the waste piece as a pattern to mark the rest.

For fast and accurate I use a template on nominal 4" stock:

These were made for my Six Board Bench builds.

For laying out arcs or circles there are many ways close at hand:

Here are a few including a couple of compasses, drafting templates, a can lid and wooden circles cut out of scrap. The wooden circles are the easiest to use if a lot of arcs need to be drawn on stock. A short piece of dowel set in to the surface is a convenient handle.

To layout an ogee first mark a 45º line on the end. Make the line a little (~1/8") in from the end for sawing. This can be done with a combo square or just by measuring and a straight edge. It can be a help to mark the center. I usually forget.

The top arc is drawn using a wooden circle template. The template has a diameter close to the width of the stock. A larger or smaller template can be used with a little creative fudging of lines. Note in this case the radius lines being used to line up the top edge and the 45º layout line. This is only a quarter of the circle being used for the top arc.

Then the bottom is drawn by continuing from the intersection of the top arc and the layout line.

If the first ogee is cut carefully the waste can be your template for laying out all the rest of your cuts.

Saw marks can be cleaned up with a spokeshave, sandpaper or what ever you have at your disposal. I like to lightly chamfer the edges.

There are a lot of ways to use this design element. It can be turned around, placed back to back or face to face for a lot of different effects from a simple to make design element.

jtk

Jessica Pierce-LaRose
05-08-2014, 9:01 PM
Ogees are nice little details. I've always used the compass method. Sometimes it's nice to mix it up for something like the end of a board detail by changing the spacing; rather than two equal sized arcs in each direction, divide the diagonal line into something like 3:5, and make one arc larger than the other.

Pedro Reyes
05-08-2014, 11:04 PM
Too much work I'm doing them by eye! :D

I kid, thanks for sharing will save the instructions for when the time comes.

Pedro

Jim Koepke
05-09-2014, 2:40 AM
Ogees are nice little details. I've always used the compass method. Sometimes it's nice to mix it up for something like the end of a board detail by changing the spacing; rather than two equal sized arcs in each direction, divide the diagonal line into something like 3:5, and make one arc larger than the other.

It is versatile and variable.

One of my thoughts for future use is to make ellipses for laying out the arcs. That would likely require a change of the diagonal.

With the axis drawn on the wooden templates it isn't necessary to draw a diagonal, it is just a convenience.

jtk