PDA

View Full Version : NH US Block 1L Font

Liesl Dexheimer
05-08-2014, 8:49 AM
Does anyone have a copy of NH's US Block 1L font? My hard drive crashed a while ago and I seem to be missing that font even after I reinstalled Gravostyle 98. I have Block Normal but the US Block 1L is slightly different I believe...

Kev Williams
05-08-2014, 2:43 PM
Find your Gravostyle98 folder, go in and find the FONTS folder, then go into the GII folder (or whatever its name is, just not the VISION or TTF folders), and see if it's in the list-- it should be, it's "thee" default NH font!

I've attached a copy of the font, BUT TO MAKE THIS WORK I had to add a .cdr extension to it to the file! SO-- click on it, download it and SAVE it. Go to your "downloads" folder, goto "open containing folder" to find it, then edit the name to remove the .cdr extension-- then you can move it into your GII folder and see if it works...

--edit-- My windows8 automatically dropped the .cdr extension after the download? heads up! :)

288941 (http://www.engraver1.com/usblock/)

Liesl Dexheimer
05-14-2014, 9:21 AM
Hmm so this is strange. The font is in the GII folder yet whenever I try to open a job which uses that font I get the message saying the font isn't installed. It is in the GII folder. I usually can figure these things out but this has me stumped...

David Somers
05-14-2014, 10:23 AM
Liesl,

Some fonts can be used in Windows by simply having them in the fonts folder. Others require an actual installation. Simply having them in the folder doesn't get them placed into the Windows Registry where they can be recognized by Windows.

I don't have a laser yet, let alone that particular font. But here is a link to a Microsoft Tech Article that will guide you through all the methods of installing a font in various versions of Windows. Hope that helps.

Dave
https://www.microsoft.com/typography/TrueTypeInstall.mspx

Kev Williams
05-14-2014, 11:55 AM
Dave, Gravostyle allows you to use any font installed in Windows, but the US Block font in question is a Gravostyle-specific engraving font, has nothing to do with Windows or true-type, etc.

Gravostyle is infamous for 'you get nothing for free'. Every font they offer (to the newest by date anyway) is also loaded in the font file, but you only have access to fonts the program allows (ie: that you've paid for). The US Block font SHOULD be unlocked because it's a 'default' font. However, it may be an 'upgrade' font as far as Gravo 98 is concerned.

David Somers
05-14-2014, 12:53 PM
Thanks for the clarification Kev!!! Appreciated!

Dave
Apologies Liesl!!

Mark Sipes
05-14-2014, 3:48 PM
I know when Newing -Hall (NH) used Dongles every upgrade required a modified dongle to get into that additional features.......the Graphics were .f now (DXF/PLT) and the fonts are .epf with ttf outline imports that can be filled.

I know this probably does not help.

Liesl Dexheimer
05-15-2014, 9:49 AM
All reasons why I can't stand Gravostyle/Gravograph...grrr...

Ross Moshinsky
05-15-2014, 10:25 AM
Have you called Gravograph? The fonts access are locked away in key codes stored on the dongle. Punch in the key code and you get access to the fonts. If you had the font before, then you simply need to call them up and they'll get the fonts unlocked for you.

Sadly the mechanical engraving world is living in the past and thinks everything needs to be locked away and be proprietary. They decided years ago out of necessity to design their own software and the investment was very high and the customers had to pay for it. This was both good and bad because it kept the industry smaller and thus more profitable for those who were willing to make the investment. Now things are different. These companies are insane for designing their own design software. It would be far more sensible to develop TTF engraving fonts, allow customers to use Illustrator/Corel to do their design work and then handle all of the CNC/engraving stuff as a post processing. Instead they are investing huge amounts of time and money into developing software that already exists in a superior form.

Liesl Dexheimer
05-20-2014, 1:30 PM
Ross, I couldn't agree with you more. I curse out Gravograph's proprietary software. Ugh. Good news is that I got everything to work. I reinstalled an older version of G98 that I had and then used installed the upgrade now it seems to be working fine, thank goodness. :)