PDA

View Full Version : First bowl learning curve...

James Tibbetts
05-07-2014, 6:47 PM
So I turned this little guy about a month ago from a piece of crabapple tree a neighbor was cutting down. Gave it a 24 hour bath in DNA; 30 minute flash; wrapped in brown paper and put on the shelf.
I looked at it today and it seemed pretty dry. I had remembred a Raffan video in which he nuked a cherry bowl to dry it super fast to finish turn. So just to be sure it was dry enough to finish I stuck it in the microwave for 5 minutes on 80% power. Looking good....288911288911
Right up until ......................................

James Tibbetts
05-07-2014, 6:50 PM
288912......................the fire started!!!!!!!!!!

Brian Kent
05-07-2014, 6:54 PM
Well, the bottom looks dry now. :rolleyes:

Reed Gray
05-07-2014, 7:34 PM
Well, I hope it wasn't the house hold microwave. You may be in serious trouble for quite a while if that happened. When using the microwave, use about 1 minute bursts, let cool off, then hit it again. With one that side, it might take 5 or more bursts to get it dry.

robo hippy

Bill Boehme
05-07-2014, 7:45 PM
So I suppose that you are now an authority on how NOT to microwave. :D

FYI, here is how to do it. wrap several layers of paper towels around the turning. Put in a plastic grocery bag and loosely fold over the end, but do not tie it. Next, use the lowest setting on the microwave and go for two minutes. Remove and let it set until cool (about ten minutes). Unwrap and set the paper towels in the sun to dry so that they can be reused. Meanwhile wrap it with some new paper towels, stick it in a dry plastic bag and repeat the above. Most people microwave much too fast. This way is the Crock-Pot Microwave Method. You probablwill need to do at least a dozen cycles because much of the water is absorbed back into the wood during cooling. However, that assures that the wood won't crack from drying too fast. Repeat the process until you no longer see moisture coming out of the wood.

James Tibbetts
05-07-2014, 8:02 PM
Brian, That little sucker is as dry as it's ever gonna get.
Reed, that was the kitchen microwave. Been through the inside of this one before. Last year there were 2 pieces of frnch toast actually cremated in it. Nasty. (not me that time!)
Bill, thanks for the information on the correct process. It looks like the process can be done any time in the drying cycle using the water absorbed by the paper towels as an indicator of the moisture content.

James Tibbetts
05-07-2014, 8:03 PM
I suppose my next question should be how do you know when it's time to finish turn if you are not using the microwave drying method?

Roger Chandler
05-07-2014, 8:22 PM
I suppose my next question should be how do you know when it's time to finish turn if you are not using the microwave drying method?

James........when I have a wet piece of wood, I rough turn it and then, coat with anchorseal, or do a DNA bath, then bag and let the drying process take over. I usually weigh the piece when I bag it, then weigh it again every few days until it stops loosing weight..........when it is the same weight over a few days, then I know it is ready to take out and finish turn........works well, but you will have some ovaling of the shape so it is important to make a dimple in the very center of the bottom tenon so you can get it back centered as much as possible.......then true up the tenon and then do the form to finish dimensions and put your finish of choice on it.

I use a digital scale that goes up to 55 lbs capacity to weigh the roughout.

Stan Smith
05-07-2014, 9:18 PM
For me, learning patience has been the most important thing to learn in getting wood dry enough to turn. I've bought some beautiful wood from NCWood. It comes fully coated with wax. I scrape some off but still weigh it and use a moisture meter. Then, it's just wait and wait and wait..... I didn't do any turning for a few years but had some turning blocks that just sat there. Well, that stuff is dry now--almost too dry. It's still quite the learning process for me. YMMV.`

Kyle Iwamoto
05-08-2014, 5:20 PM
I wrap in a brown bag, forget where they are, I mean wait for a few months then hopefully it's dry enough. If I forget about them for a year, it's pretty much dry. I found my mountain apple roughouts just a few days ago. I can't even remember when I turned them. I guess puting a date on the bag would help. But I forgot to do it.

Will the charcoal turn off? Maybe you discovered a new finishing technique, multi colored wood. I think it looks interesting. Worth a shot. Who need ebonizing?

James Tibbetts
05-08-2014, 11:16 PM
Kyle it burned pretty well in one spot, and checked badly in a couple others when it cooled. I'll put it on my desk. I like to keep my mistakes as reminders.

robert baccus
05-08-2014, 11:20 PM
Hey, a lot of these guys do pyro work---not bad and unique.