PDA

View Full Version : What are your Woodturning Dreams?

Brian Kent
05-07-2014, 5:08 PM
Do you have any hopes or dreams of what you would like to do with woodturning in your future?

I would like to keep on making bowls and communion sets, learn to make hollow forms that are in the same universe as some of you folks here, and do enough turning that someday when I can afford my ultimate lathe, I can justify it based on skills and volume of turning.

I want to make the time to get some personalized training.

Oh, and add one more accessory - a pickup truck.

Jim Underwood
05-07-2014, 5:19 PM
I'd like to have a wealthy sponsor so I could pursue all the projects rattling around in my head. And a shop secretary to keep it organized and clean.
A full scholarship for several weeks a john c Campbell.

Well you did ask!

Roger Chandler
05-07-2014, 5:19 PM
Suppliment my income in retirement and purchase my dream lathe [which currently is a Robust American Beauty.......unless and until a better one comes out!] :D

Perhaps some teaching if the right opportunities arise.

Thom Sturgill
05-07-2014, 6:13 PM
Before retirement I knew I wanted to get back into woodworking and stumbled into turning when I did a shaker table. Since I am on full VA disability due to AO and a heart condition, I do not need or want to sell. I know that to stay alive many years after retirement I need something that I am fully engaged in mentally and physically and turning fills the bill nicely. Smaller items like boxes, goblets and mid sized bowls do not cause the muscle strain that lifting large blanks could entail , so I limit the SIZE of what I turn to 12-14"

So what are my hopes and dreams? - I would like to be able to upgrade probably *just* to a Powermatic. I want to be able to explore the art to my best ability, including enhancement with burning, piercing, dying, etc. More classes at John Campbell is also on the list.

Reed Gray
05-07-2014, 7:36 PM
I want to turn a bowl that does not need any sanding. I also want to win the lottery. Probably about equal chances....

robo hippy

Dan Masshardt
05-07-2014, 9:06 PM
Some of my goals are already met - having turning being a basically self supporting hobby. I would like this to continue and increase a bit. :-). Enough to buy a bigger lathe - like many of you.

I am just getting into bowls and I want to become proficient at bowl turning. Mostly utility pieces.

I would like to continue to turn a wide variety of projects I've done various projects in my first year and a half of turning.

Finally, I'd like to use this art to somehow make impact in peoples lives, even if in small ways. More to explore on how that might happen.

John Beaver
05-07-2014, 11:40 PM
A whole lot more time so I can make all the projects I have rattling around in my head...
...and then, higher prices on my pieces so I can work at a slower pace.

I like Jim's comment about a shop secretary. I'd take someone to do some sanding and finishing also.

robert baccus
05-07-2014, 11:41 PM
I hope and dream of a new set of knees(or legs) and some stamina maybe. Also some forum readers and friends who are open minded and not so negative/suspicious of new toys and procedures. Would love to teach young people this artform and have the body to keep up with my love of turning and sailing. How long can I go on with this list?

Michelle Rich
05-08-2014, 6:17 AM
I would like to expand designs for my "negative space designs" pieces. I can think them up, but having difficulty figuring out how to achieve my vision , and new concepts to achieve the pieces on the lathe. Nothing new in that as it took years to imagine and work to achieve the designs I have already made. As for workshop issues, I would like to be able to afford heat for my shop in a climate that gets 40 below zero, and winter is longer than summer. Having to stop everything and await temps my hands can stand to work in, is annoying. VERY annoying.

Joe Bradshaw
05-08-2014, 9:11 AM
I would like to quit being so lazy and keep my shop cleaner and/or neater. I have finally realized that I will always be just one tool away from excellence, so the tool sellers will have to make their money elsewhere. I have enough lathes. Time to go out to the shop and clean.
Joe

Sid Matheny
05-08-2014, 10:55 AM
My main goal is keep enjoying turning and not get caught up in trying to keep up with others dreams.

Sid

curtis rosche
05-08-2014, 11:18 AM
Buy a property that is abundant in species and burls. Add a 8 inch riser to my lathe. Finish my saw. Find a better place to sell my work.

Dennis Nagle
05-08-2014, 11:32 AM
My dream is that I can still do this when I'm 90

Glen Blanchard
05-08-2014, 12:02 PM
To someday turn items worthy of my new Robust AB.

Doug Ladendorf
05-08-2014, 12:12 PM
Right now it's simple; a better lathe and time to use it.

Richard Jones
05-08-2014, 2:18 PM
I want to turn a bowl that does not need any sanding. I also want to win the lottery. Probably about equal chances....

robo hippy

Myself, myself.............

Aaron James
05-08-2014, 3:26 PM
This powermatic lathe: http://www.woodcraft.com/Product/2084719/38703/Powermatic-Lathe-with-Lamp-Kit-Model-4224B.aspx

Right now im using a woodcraft lathe that is barely still running. About once a month is breaks and I spend a day fixing something on it. At the moment it has a ratchet strap holding the head steady...ish. A couple sand bags for weight. The tool rest is held on with an eyebolt, a square chunk of oak and a big ole nut. Every time I want to move the tool rest (which is quite often) i have to use a rench to tighten it and loosen it.

Now after all that complaining about my lathe I need to say that it is by far my favorite tool. I love that piece of junk.

Jason Ritchie
05-08-2014, 3:27 PM
To be able to quit my day job and have woodturning support my family. I would love to be able to make a living at my two only passions in life: Photography and Woodturning. Would be nice to have a real shop as well instead of my 10x12 metal building.

Lawrence Tarnoff
05-08-2014, 6:16 PM
As a relatively new turner, my dreams include:
-- Not mucking up my new Thompson bowl gouge while trying to sharpen it.
-- Keeping my bowls on the lathe while attached solely by the chuck via tenon or recess.
-- Making friends with my Turnmaster set
-- Advancing my skill set to include hollow forms

By the way, this forum is terrific and I learn something new every time I visit.

Larry

Mike Peace
05-08-2014, 11:02 PM

Why stop at 90? We are dreaming here right?

Actually I feel like I am living my woodturning dream.

I am healthy enough to turn as much as I want. I am still progressing and learning and making new woodturning friends. In the past six weeks I have attended a symposium, had an overnight visit by a dear woodturning friend, had an all day hands on with David Ellsworth and Jimmy Clewes, participated in a pyrography workshop with Cynthia Gibson, moderated a hands on workshop at one of my clubs and conducted two club demonstrations. I never dreamed of having a hobby that was this much fun and that I would be so passionate about when I retired.

Leo Van Der Loo
05-08-2014, 11:18 PM
I hope to stay healthy, that’s one thing I can not buy or build, I have 3 good lathes en am able to build or make or change things.

A nice heated shop en a good family and friends I already have, I’ve been lucky en worked hard to get there, life is good, hope to keep it that way for a longer time than I could hope for :D

George Overpeck
05-10-2014, 3:07 AM
I'd like to create works which will be the sole objects in large rooms, perhaps even an entire wing of the mansion, placed on pedestals in the center of the room. As someone enters the room, optionally, a motion sensor would trigger a symphonic soundtrack, smoke machine and laser light show.

Seriously - same think but on a realistic scale. I'd just like to make pieces that compel people to look both closely and from a distance, to handle them or look at them from different angles. Pieces which the owners will continue to have small moments of appreciation for through the years. It does feel great when someone tells me how much they like having my work in their home.

I was working a trade show with a scrimshander once and we both decided that a worst case scenario for our work would be to go into a house crammed with knick-knacks, only being picked up for dusting every few years. Truly not worth it at any price.

I also agree with Michelle Rich when she says that she'd like to continue to do the work on the lathe. There are lots of very beautiful off-shoots of turning which involve moving the piece off the lathe, but I would be happy if I could keep the act of turning primary to the work.

John Terefenko
05-10-2014, 10:43 AM
Love to really learn the art of segmenting. People like Malcolm Tibbetts are amazing and what they can do has always intrigued me. Like most woodworkers in general, I would love to have a bigger dedicated shop.

Brian Kent
05-10-2014, 11:52 AM
George, how about if you could turn such spectacular work that jewelry thieves could switch to stealing a "George Overpeck piece". Your work would instantly make the news internationally and they would make a movie called "Oceans 15" about getting it back.

George Overpeck
05-10-2014, 1:51 PM
I'm going to have to revise my woodturning dreams to include the scenario you brought up, Brian. I'm glad someone out there understands me.

John Grace
05-10-2014, 7:23 PM
While 'wishing' for a larger lathe, extra time, and good health are all wonderful and worthwhile quests but if we're truly wishing and dreaming...how about an endless supply of free cocobolo, bicote, rosewood, and any other exotic blanks that prompt your creativity. You did say wish for, right?

Brian Kent
05-10-2014, 7:26 PM
That's right, Joh!

Jim Underwood
05-10-2014, 10:05 PM
How about an endless supply of resistance to toxic woods? ;-)

Tim Leiter
05-10-2014, 11:50 PM
I think I have all the tools, powered and non-powered that I need. But I don't have the room to move around easily in my shop. My shop is 16' X 20' and packed full. I would wish for a shop 3 times that big. That would make me very happy. (Then I could buy more tools even though I wouldn't need them. But I WANT them) :D
Tim.

Brian Kent
05-11-2014, 10:27 AM
As I have turned chalices in the last few days, I think a dream is to be able to grow in creativity right now, as soon as I step into the garage. Then a bonus is that whatever I have or can do right now, I have something to look forward to. So I am glad that today I do not yet have my ultimate lathe, my ultimate techniques, and my ultimate hollowing systems.

Wally Dickerman
05-11-2014, 2:16 PM
I'm 93 now....I want to still be turning when I'm 94

Brian Kent
05-11-2014, 6:05 PM
Best one yet, Wally. Keep 'er going!

Larry Matchett
05-11-2014, 8:25 PM

Yep! Me too Dennis