PDA

View Full Version : Slice and seal or seal the whole log?

Brian Kent
05-07-2014, 3:28 PM
I was just given some pear logs - beautiful bands that look like spalting rings but it is fresh cut. I post when I have photos.

Quick question now - should I cut out the pith and then seal and let dry, or should I seal the ends of the log and let it dry intact?

They are about 10" across and maybe 18" long.

Thanks

Question 2: If I turn one wet, what should I expect on the integrity of the bark. It just fell in a high wind, but it appears to have been well watered. It grew in San Diego county. I know the bark is looser or firmer by season, but I don't know how to sort through these variables.

Michael Gibson
05-07-2014, 5:55 PM
Brian, l would cut the pith out, rough turn and bag, or you could turn it thin to completion so that it has less chance of splitting. The bark stays on fairly good if you are planning a natural edge bowl. Michael

Brian Kent
05-07-2014, 6:11 PM
Thanks, Michael.

robert baccus
05-07-2014, 11:43 PM
I would wax the ends and make 1 or 2 nice vases of it.

Thomas Canfield
05-09-2014, 10:44 PM
I have done Bradford Pear of that size or larger and would definitely cut out the pith (about 1 -1/2" removed on 10" D). You might consider turning a long natural edge bowl from a 18" long x 9 or so wide section. You end up with a somewhat shallow platter type that will fit on a shelf, but can be dramatic even if the bark will not stay on section. The pith on Bradford Pear is really bad about checking/cracking and resulting with splits in the larger section that can be avoided with pith removal. The pith slab is nice quarter sawn material for other uses.