PDA

View Full Version : Saw in storage

Jim Riseborough
05-07-2014, 1:32 PM
I have to store my saw in storage over the summer, what do you recommend for protecting the top? I was thinking some spray protectant and cover in plastic, but not sure what spray to get.
Thanks

Duane Meadows
05-07-2014, 1:48 PM
Good coat of wax... skip the plastic!

Doug Ladendorf
05-07-2014, 2:02 PM
You don't say anything about the storage conditions. T-9 may be enough, but you might also invest in a cover like this that can be used afterward: http://www.toolclad.com/index.php/table-saw-cover

Lee Schierer
05-07-2014, 2:04 PM
Spray on a heavy wet coat of Boeshield T-9 and leave it. When you are ready to use the saw again, spray on another coat which will soften the dried material and wipe it clean.

Yonak Hawkins
05-07-2014, 2:08 PM
..Just thinking off the top of my head but, if in a humid environment, how about putting the saw inside plastic with some desiccant inside ? That would help protect the whole saw.

Tai Fu
05-07-2014, 2:11 PM
Cosmoline, it is what they are coated in when the machine is in transit. It's a pain to remove but it's very effective in rust protection.

Terry Beadle
05-07-2014, 3:34 PM
+ 1 on Cosmoline. I remember back in the 70's taking out a cast iron table that had been greased with what looked like bearing grease and then a heavy packing paper or it. Stored for many years and no rust. But I think Cosmoline would be better. Mineral spirits will remove it fairly easily.

Free advice and priced right !! Hoot!

Kyle Iwamoto
05-07-2014, 4:48 PM
You don't say where you are. Makes a big difference. All I want to add is don't forget the underside of the top.........

Jim Matthews
05-08-2014, 7:30 AM
+1 on a sealed container, like boat storage with a generous spray of machine
oil and some sort of dessicant inside the bag.
http://lifehacker.com/5862964/line-a-cast-iron-pan-with-coffee-filters-to-keep-it-from-rusting

Yonak Hawkins
05-08-2014, 10:58 AM
Some modicum of preparation is, of course, warranted but only being through the summer, unless the environment is extraordinary in some way you could expecially prepare for, just waxing and covering may do it. Heck, I know guys who just don't use their saws for the course of a summer and, in the fall, do nothing but wipe off the dust, wax, lube and are good to go.

Jim Andrew
05-08-2014, 1:35 PM
I bought a tire machine when the local service station closed. It has a CI top, and quickly rusted from fixing wet tires. I cleaned it up and put some spar urethane on the bare metal part. Still looks good.

paul cottingham
05-08-2014, 4:18 PM
You know, even a well sealed wooden tool chest will keep rust off stored saws. Use a dehumidifier or toolchest heater if you wish. I'm sure even just a wooden box would do the job. Wiping down with paste wax or boeshield wouldn't hurt.

Frank Martin
05-08-2014, 5:42 PM
Unless you are in an extra humid environment, I would only do Boeshield. I use my equipment fairly infrequently and live within a mile from the ocean (although relatively dry So Cal) and never had a problem as long as I had Boeshield on my cast iron tops. So, putting it in a box, etc seems over-engineering to me as long as you need protection for only over the summer and not several years.

peter gagliardi
05-08-2014, 6:07 PM
A nice heavy coat of vegetable oil is all you need. The oil will congeal with a little time to something very similar to cosmoline, and it wipes off with thinner.