PDA

View Full Version : Masking tapes?

Keith Upton
05-07-2014, 9:35 AM
As I work with more substrates, I'm finding that on some of them I need to protect the areas around cuts and etchings so they don't either get soot all over them or they there are not heat marks left behind. So far using blue painter's tape works well on a lot of stuff. The problem with it is the cost and that is comes in rather narrow roll widths. I'd like to find a 12" wide masking tape that I could cover an entire sheet with a single pass.

Does anyone have a preferred tape at this width? I've searched the net and tape that wide is hard to find. So far I've found these:

VCC MT-01 Economy Grade Masking Tape (http://www.findtape.com/shop/product.aspx?id=124&vid=5164&tid=14)

Roll Mask (http://www.innate.com/Supplies/masking.htm)

Anyone ever used either of those?

Thanks!

Shane Archie
05-07-2014, 9:48 AM
Search for "high tack application tape" like this http://www.uscutter.com/RTape-ApliTape-4075-High-Tack-General-Purpose-Application-Tape-100yd . You generally find it from places that sell vinyl. It comes in different tacks but I've always used the high tack and it has been perfect.

Liesl Dexheimer
05-07-2014, 9:48 AM
I use TransferRite Ultra which comes in 14" wide.

Bill Stearns
05-07-2014, 10:10 AM
And of course there is JDS's masking tape for laser - pg 262 of their newest catalog #H111 - 12" x 100 yards - looks like $58 cost. (plus S&H). Don't have to use this width often on the jobs I do, but it comes in handy. Mostly I use the "blue" tape. While we are on the subject: I engrave rustic cedar signs, masking and painting the text. Have found that the "Green" masking tape helps significantly cut down on the spray paint seeping under the edges and into the wood grain. - may be useful knowledge for some.

Bill

Mike Null
05-07-2014, 10:11 AM
I buy the high tack application tape from sign suppliers. I have it cut to various widths. I think they charge $5 per cut.

Use a squeegee to apply. If you're going to paint fill after engraving use a wall paper roller to press it down after engraving and before filling.

Joe Pelonio
05-07-2014, 9:21 PM
If you have a resale license and are a local, regular customer, sign supplies will sell a 48" log cut to size at no extra charge, and buying the whole log gives a better price. I use Main or Rtape. 12" is $45 if I buy just that size, probably save $25-30 buying 48". Online places such as the one linked sell thinner 100 yard rolls ($34 for 1/3 as much as the $45 300 yard).

Keith Upton
05-08-2014, 11:04 AM
Thanks, you guys always come through with good info. Now, what squeegees do you like best?

Mike Null
05-08-2014, 11:27 AM
I just bought a hundred cheap blanks and include them for my customer installed vinyl jobs. I got them from one of the sign wholesalers.

Joe Pelonio
05-08-2014, 7:50 PM
I always bought the $1 ones for for customers and ladder jobs (where I'd drop them a lot) and the $3 3M gold for the shop, from the local sign supply.