View Full Version : 3-sided lidded box/finial

Roger Chandler
05-06-2014, 8:16 PM
I was just experimenting with this today. At the upcoming symposium in Virginia in September, I am slated to demo/mentor and the powers that be asked me to do 3 sided bowls, as no one else on the program was doing anything like 3 sided forms. It has been a while since I had done a 3-sided bowl, so I thought that I would try to accomplish dual purposes by using up some scrap and get some practice in and have some variation on the theme to show at the demo/mentor session.

I took the cube of spalted maple and did what one does to orient the blank so I could get the 3 points and chose to cut away the bottom set of points and make it a deeper form, because I wanted to try a dome lid and finial..............I did not have enough of the spalted maple to make the lid [which would have looked better in my opinion] so I decided a contrasting wood might fit the bill.........so I had a walnut scrap and used it.

This does not have a final finish on it as of yet, and is still a work in progress...........I have some more sanding and then put some more coats of finish .......at present it is a very matte/dull finish, but that will change and hopefully the look will improve.

While I personally think the concept is good, the woods so far just leave me ambivalent about this piece and I now wonder if I had made a shallower form with the bottom points if it might have looked better with more of a flared out form and points.........to me, it sort of curves too upward with the upper points.............what do you think?

I made two finials.........the first one was better than this one, but the base blew out on me! :mad: and the finial is not glued in and I will probably replace it with a better one....... I will finish this out as an example of the upper points being used, and probably also make another using the bottom points...........so the audience can see the difference in design choices/results. For the demo, I will do a basic 3 sided bowl, but some variations on the theme will make for a better presentation, I think.........

288853 288854

Harry Robinette
05-06-2014, 8:36 PM
I think that you been a thinking on this one.Very nice piece. I think I might have let the top be a little shorter
so you could see the points over the top,maybe 3/8" or so.

Roger Chandler
05-06-2014, 8:49 PM
I think that you been a thinking on this one.Very nice piece. I think I might have let the top be a little shorter
so you could see the points over the top,maybe 3/8" or so.

I guess I could cut the lid down, but it might affect the fit, Harry....

Thom Sturgill
05-06-2014, 8:57 PM
If the bottom were a bit rounder it would improve this form as it would look like a sphere streaking through the atmosphere with streamers coming off. there is a you tube (very amateur) of one of these as a lidded hollow form. It is still a good demo piece to get the creative juices flowing.

Joe Bradshaw
05-07-2014, 10:51 AM
Roger, it looks very good. I prefer a more rounded bottom on my three cornered boxes. I really like the deep domed lid.

Roger Chandler
05-07-2014, 11:37 AM
Roger, it looks very good. I prefer a more rounded bottom on my three cornered boxes. I really like the deep domed lid.

Thanks much, Joe.........I appreciate your comment!

Kelvin Burton
05-07-2014, 11:40 AM
Roger,

I made this one after attending a demo at SWAT a couple of years back. But this shape is not what you wanted to achieve, right?

Roger Chandler
05-07-2014, 11:50 AM
Roger,

I made this one after attending a demo at SWAT a couple of years back. But this shape is not what you wanted to achieve, right?

I like this a lot, Kelvin! This one could be one of those variations on a theme that could be shown.........if you would not object, I might make my own version of this to show the audience some possibilities.........

Jak Kelly
05-07-2014, 12:17 PM
Nice Roger, I prefer the contrast, good choice.

Lloyd Butler
05-07-2014, 9:43 PM
The two piece really show both ends of the spectrum as far as outer shape goes. Roger's has enough material left from the cube to have a foot, and Kelvin's has removed pretty much as much of the cube as possible.

The lid options have as many possibilities. You can go deep or shallow on either base and they would all look good for different purposes or feelings.

A shallow base and deep top could enclose a votive candle as act as a lid to trap the smoke.
A deep base with a shallow cap could be a candy dish.

Get the corners a bit thinner and they could be pierced as a different design option. Add some pyrography to the top sides of he shallow version to add some interest to draw in the eye.

Loads of possibilities for a good demo and discussion.

Lloyd

Don Nicholas
05-07-2014, 11:03 PM
Roger,
I like what you have created in both design and finish. Would not change anything, very well done

Kelvin Burton
05-08-2014, 12:45 AM
I like this a lot, Kelvin! This one could be one of those variations on a theme that could be shown.........if you would not object, I might make my own version of this to show the audience some possibilities.........

Roger, go for it! I made this after attending a demo at SWAT in 2012 by Craig Timmerman who showed us all how to make it. I have no ownership of it.

Ryan Mooney
05-08-2014, 12:57 AM
I dunno Roger I like it quite a bit as is. I think the top has a bit of a minaret feel to it, the corners elevate the top and the center of the top echos the corners back at it. It sort of feels like the bottom is wrapping around a round center which is an interesting look.
With different wood combos I might feel differently, but I like this one where you have it personally.

Roger Chandler
05-08-2014, 6:28 AM
I dunno Roger I like it quite a bit as is. I think the top has a bit of a minaret feel to it, the corners elevate the top and the center of the top echos the corners back at it. It sort of feels like the bottom is wrapping around a round center which is an interesting look.
With different wood combos I might feel differently, but I like this one where you have it personally.

Thanks Ryan.........it is nice to know that others see some merit in what is done here. I will say, that it looks better to me this morning than it did two days ago right off the lathe when I took the pics. I will likely replace the finial with another one, just a bit shorter and perhaps made from walnut and leave a natural color rather than ebonize it.

Thanks for commenting!

Roger Chandler
05-08-2014, 6:30 AM
Roger, go for it! I made this after attending a demo at SWAT in 2012 by Craig Timmerman who showed us all how to make it. I have no ownership of it.

Thanks Kelvin..........I had an idea or two about a version of this..........mine won't likely be an identical copy.

Michelle Rich
05-08-2014, 8:56 AM
I think you are having waaayy too much fun! :-) enjoy the symposium!