PDA

View Full Version : Laser tubes advice needed

Wayne Brooks
05-06-2014, 3:44 PM
Hi all,

am new to the site (hello) and looking to buy our first laser engraver.

We're based in the UK and i'm a little torn between a speedy 300 from Trotec and the Epilog Helix: both 60watt machines.

Both are similarly priced so I just need to look at ongoing costs, mainly replacement tubes. As i understand the epilog helix 60watt is estimated to last 3-5 years and replacement/re-gas is around £2200. Trotec claim their tube will last around 10 years and replacement is £7000. Both obviously come with 2 year warranty on tubes.

So i guess the question i'm asking is: Can anyone offer any advice or share their experience on how long these tubes last and the general reliabilty of either machine?. To be honest i'm a little concerned at possibly having to fork out 7K for a new tube just after the warranty expires, lol.

In answer to the obvious question.... I can't say how much use it will get but i'm hoping it will be used every day, mostly engraving wood, acrylic, glass & laminates.

Many thanks in advance. looking forward to getting my hands on either machine and getting involved on here :)

Bill Stearns
05-06-2014, 4:38 PM
Wayne -
I've had my Epilog 35W for eight years now; fairly heavy use daily - never have had a "tube" issue - 'though I know the day is coming. Guess I'm not sure how you tell when its time. Will probably happen in the midst of my working on some big, emergency project. I'm under the impression it's when you have to start adjusting speed 'n using more power on jobs? - is this correct, guys? Don't even know what the "tube" looks like - but, one question I've had from the get-go - why don't they put some sort of [fuel] gauge on it? I'd be less of a nervous wreck during peak seasons! Eager to hear ...

Bill

Mike Null
05-06-2014, 5:48 PM
My Trotec will be 8 years old next month and I've had only one day of lost time. My tube seems to be as good as ever and the new ceramic tubes Trotec is offering are reported to have a longer life.

If I buy a new machine it will be a Trotec.

matthew knott
05-06-2014, 5:58 PM
I would double check the price with trotec , get a price for a re-gas, £7k is VERY expensive, i was told (by the manufacturer) that one of the advantages of the ceramic tubes would be reduced re-gas pricing. That sounds like a price for a new non exchange tube to me. Both manufactures make nice machines but if it was my money i think i would opt for the trotec, people swear by them on here, plus everyone i know that has one thinks they are great

Michael Hunter
05-06-2014, 6:26 PM
A year ago I was quoted £3,500 (plus VAT) for an Epilog 60W tube.
Either the price has come down a lot, or they are under-pricing the replacement cost to get the sale.

(My tube has lasted over 10 years, but the power is now significantly down).

My Epilog has served me well, but if I was buying a new machine now, it would be a Trotec for the extra engraving speed over anything else on the market

Wayne Brooks
05-07-2014, 7:46 AM
Cheers guys.

@ Matthew, trotec say their new tubes aren't re gassed but replaced with new?

Bryan Jater
05-07-2014, 8:44 AM
Hi Wayne,

The price for the replacement tube on the SP300 is incorrect so James Newnham (your area representative) will give you a call shortly with the correct detail.

I hope that will cover any confusion.

Cheers

Bryan Jater

Wayne Brooks
05-07-2014, 11:41 AM
Excellent, thanks Bryan.... Seals the deal :)

matthew knott
05-07-2014, 1:41 PM
Maybe you could get a replacement/re-gas build into the deal, i always worry a bit getting a quote for such an item now ,and then wonder what the actual price will be in 3 years time. I heard lots of time from salesmen, "i don't worry they are only about XXX" then when it comes to crunch time the price is 3 times higher and nothing is in writing. Which ever machine you go for they are both quality so no real worries !!