PDA

View Full Version : Alumamark relaxing in the Sun!

Bill Cunningham
05-06-2014, 2:59 PM
A while (months) ago I mentioned using Alumamark outdoors. Alumamark is not really a outdoor material and will fade badly in the sun.. But.. I have also found that if you give it a coat of Krylon U.V. spray, it will withstand the sun without fading, and I guess if you waxed or polished it, it would be shiny again.. At that time, I had a piece baking in the sun for a full year on the roof of my garden shed. I was more than pleased when I saw the test piece. I promised to post a picture, but promptly forgot.. (it's an age thing) I found the plate on a shop bench, and figured I better do this before the A.D.D. kicks in again.. So.. Behold.. A piece of gold Alumamark coated 1/2 with Krylon U.V. spray, and the other half just left natural.. I don't think I 'should' have to tell you which side is which.. Yes.. You can use Alumamark Outdoors..

Chris DeGerolamo
05-06-2014, 3:12 PM
Wow, thanks for sharing your experiment.

Ross Moshinsky
05-06-2014, 3:17 PM
JDS's LazerBlak does not fade in the sun. I've only tested silver/black. It's been at least 1 year. Material is also a fraction of the cost.

Bill Stearns
05-06-2014, 4:55 PM
Guys -
Strangely enough, I have even used LaserMax plastics outdoors with okay success. Created signs for the fence 'round our Public Works plant. (using canary/yellow.) They are still pleased with 'em;' it has been 'bout a year. (red does fade in sunlight, still it seems to take 'good long time.) Think I'll experiment with the UV treatment idea - has anyone tried this on LaserMax yet? Don't think they had LaserBlak in colors at the time. ? - should probably use that in the future, uh? 'cause with the LaserMax I have had the wind cause breakage to the mounting holes. (placed 'em too close to the edge originally.) (strange the things we'll try, when we need sales, uh?_

Bill

Wes Mitchell
05-06-2014, 5:15 PM
Bill, LaserMax colors are UV stable - only the METALLICS are not UV stable.

Wes
JP

Mike Null
05-06-2014, 5:37 PM
Wes

Do you want to explain further.

Bill
good find on the Krylon. I made several of those for garden club awards for a small town nearby. I replaced all of them in less than a year.

Bill Stearns
05-06-2014, 6:11 PM
Wes -
Your message was a tad confusing - but, I checked JDS's catalog and see now that LaserMax does say interior/exterior. Had it in my head all this time that it was for interiors only. I'll use it for exterior jobs with more confidence now. Thanks for bringing this to my attention.

Bill S

Mike Chance in Iowa
05-06-2014, 6:28 PM
Wes -
Your message was a tad confusing - but, I checked JDS's catalog and see now that LaserMax does say interior/exterior. Had it in my head all this time that it was for interiors only. I'll use it for exterior jobs with more confidence now. Thanks for bringing this to my attention.
Do your homework. Not all colors are UV stable.

http://www.rowmark.com/laser/LaserMAX/lasermax.asp

Wes Mitchell
05-07-2014, 9:53 AM
Blah, I retyped a couple times and missed my point. The colors are UV stable, the METALLICS are not UV stable.

Bill Stearns
05-07-2014, 6:44 PM
Wes -
After your post to me, glancing at the JDS catalog and selection of LaserMax plastics, I figured out that's what you meant to say. About all I've ever used outdoors are the reds, blacks, and canary - (for signs, value tags, etc.) and have never had a complaint. But, 'gain, thanks for bringing the JDS "interior/exterior" notice to my attention; I'll rest easier now when I use it outdoors.

Bill

Darryl Hazen
05-07-2014, 9:00 PM
I ran a test on LaserMax samples for an entire year. The samples were exposed to Utah winter and summer. As you can see all but the gold (upper left) survived with no deterioration.288917

Mike Null
05-07-2014, 11:21 PM
Darryl

Nice job! To add to that, Missouri Botanical Gardens switched from anodized aluminum to plastic a few years back to get longer life out of their thousands of signs.

Phil Noakes
05-08-2014, 7:47 AM
This is Phil Noakes with Rowmark. I hope my comments are allowed on this subject. You are correct about the LaserMax line being UV stable, outdoor weatherable with the exception of the metals. My I suggest you look at the Metalgraph Plus for outdoor applications requiring a metal look? Please contact me anytime I can offer any assistance.

Mike Null
05-08-2014, 7:54 AM
Phil

Glad to have you join in.