PDA

View Full Version : Choosing the right moulder planer, or other options

Carter Forbes
05-06-2014, 10:34 AM
HI,
I'm needing some help. The product we make requires 1,500 feet of this profile per week- currently. It is projected that this will at least triple if the contract goes through. It is 1/2" thick x1.375" in Red Oak. We have tried re-sawing 5/4. This saves on material but wastes labor. I'd rather pay for the 4/4 to be milled down and delivered ready.

Here is the problem- When the jobs were smaller, I had no problem routing these edges. Now that the size of each order is growing, I'm losing more and more money. Instead of cutting trim and installing, we are spending a day forming this with a router, and another day sanding it after it is cut and installed.

Lumber company will supply it for $1.40 per ft. currently, and $1.10 at the greater quantities. My cost is about $0.40 for the material.

Does anyone out there have experience with a machine that will speed this process?

Thanks in advance= Carter

Peter Kelly
05-06-2014, 12:21 PM
What sort of machine have you tried re-sawing 5/4 with? It should go pretty quickly with the right bandsaw, blade and stock feeder.

A shaper and stock would certainly also be faster and safer than a router for profiling. How much money can you spend on equipment?

Peter Quinn
05-06-2014, 12:36 PM
I'd use a shaper with power feed, would take you two passes, sanding time greatly reduced. I'd probably tool up with carbide insert knives or heads for long term cost effectiveness. You could step up to a small four sided moulder like a logosol or one of the other similar products available, puts you in the $10k to 15k range, but it mills all four sides in a single pass, have to order your molding blanks 1/8" over in each dimension so all faces get cleaned. At 1500lf per week if think a good shaper and two passes would be the way to go, mini molders are a waste of time for this, the best is not as stout as a 1 1/4" spindle shaper.

Carter Forbes
05-06-2014, 12:49 PM
I have a 1.5hp 18 inch Jet band saw with a Leesom Motor. I tried a Olson 3/4" 3tpi hook ~$35-40. It got the job done but I manually put it though the saw and it slowed it down quite a bit.
Fairly new to re sawing. I had used a 1/2" re saw king to re saw short pieces of Walnut before with better results.
Any advice there would be appreciated as well. :)

My budget is roughly $2,500- 6,000. for the right machine. Was hoping to get something that would take rough stock and give all 4 sides at once. Budget being in place though, I understand if this is asking too much. If I have to plane it to dimension first, I guess I'll live. 2 shapers , or one with 2 spindles would be nice so head changes wouldn't be required to go from the full bullnose to single roundover......

Carter Forbes
05-06-2014, 12:59 PM
two passes sounds ok with a stock feeder. Could the cutters be 2 piece? I'm hoping to not need to adjust height every time. Possibly use lower blade for single round over, and stack the other on for the bullnose. would this work or are we talking two entirely different heads. Obviously, I've never owned a shaper.

Rod Sheridan
05-06-2014, 2:41 PM
Carter, a shaper would run this in the 30 feet per minute range, with 2 passes required.

I doubt that a router runs at even half that speed, and the surface finish would be far worse..............Rod.

P.S. Of course the correct machine for this is a 4 head moulder, you can feed rough stock in one end, have finished product out the other end.

A gang rip saw and you're away to the races.

Peter Kelly
05-06-2014, 3:18 PM
I have a 1.5hp 18 inch Jet band saw with a Leesom Motor. I tried a Olson 3/4" 3tpi hook ~$35-40. It got the job done but I manually put it though the saw and it slowed it down quite a bit.
Fairly new to re sawing. I had used a 1/2" re saw king to re saw short pieces of Walnut before with better results.
Any advice there would be appreciated as well. :)I'm not sure if an 18" Jet would work but it might be worth trying if you can spring for a bigger saw.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BxlohzqXcdo

Carter Forbes
05-06-2014, 8:39 PM
Gang rip saw in the future for sure. Thanks

ed vitanovec
05-06-2014, 10:11 PM
Look into Woodmaster, they have a molder with router add on that would do this in one pass.

Carter Forbes
05-06-2014, 11:16 PM
That looks nice. I'm emailing them to see if they can set me up. I have considered building something like that myself but their prices are decent enough to stop that plan. Thanks to everyone!

J.R. Rutter
05-07-2014, 9:19 AM
Long term, a 4-sided moulder would be the way to go. Blanks in one end, finished strips out the other. Do some searches for Weinig Quattromat as an example. I know the price is above budget, but if you keep doing this sort of work it will be a money maker. I ended up with a 5-spindle SCMI (used) and haven't looked back.
How much power and dust collection do you have?
Are you dimensioning other wood as well that would benefit from S4S?

Carter Forbes
05-07-2014, 9:52 AM
Definatley need S4s a lot . I can see the potential benifits of something like that. My budget is based on "I want it yesterday". My dust collection is about to be in the 5 and up hp range - taking suggestions there too.( moving to 4,000 sqft shop on the 16th). We are rolling equipment purchasing cash into the note for the property. Currently using a small jet that can only handle a planer, and about 3/4 of the cabinet saw dust. It's really pathetic how bad the dc is at table saw. System grounded and still awful at TS.

Carter Forbes
05-07-2014, 10:02 AM
I guess I should wait and buy the real deal.

Jeff Duncan
05-07-2014, 11:07 AM
I'm going to come at this from a different direction. How much are you going to spend on equipping your shop to make this vs having someone make it for you? let's say you invest in a 4+ head molder and dust collection that can keep up with it. Plus an SLR to cut your blanks to size and whatever other equipment you may find yourself needing to handle large quantities of lumber. Can you buy the material, mill the material, and pay for the equipment for $1.10 per lf? I know I couldn't and my shop is pretty well equipped!

I don't know anything about your operation but it sounds like this is a product you supply and install. So you have to decide if it's worth it to mill the product yourself, or buy and install. As I mentioned I couldn't make it in house for your quoted price of $1.10 lf in quantity. Maybe you can….but I would spend a bit more time thinking it through to make sure before spending on equipment that may take many years to see any ROI!

good luck,
JeffD

Rod Sheridan
05-07-2014, 11:07 AM
Hi Carter, dust collection at the TS only works with a well designed saw with over and under blade extraction.........Rod.

J.R. Rutter
05-07-2014, 12:24 PM
The tax benefits potentially offset some of the initial purchase, depending on income. If you have a great year and the accountant says you will be owing taxes unless you buy some equipment, it is like knocking that amount off of the purchase price. Otherwise, Jeff has a valid point as long as you have good suppliers. Good dust collection will always be needed though.

Jim Andrew
05-07-2014, 12:54 PM
I had a 718 Woodmaster, it will make molding, but very slow. And it will not make the 3rd roundover without the router add on. As for speed, it is probably about right with the router doing part of the work. They are not commercial built machines, but a light weight homeowner machine, although some guys do make molding with them, most that do wind up with at least 2 machines.

Peter Quinn
05-07-2014, 1:06 PM
My guess is if you go SLR and 4 sided molder you will have to be running closer to 20,000 LF per week to start making sense of that investment. You need to keep that molder busy, and it won't be even close to capacity at 1500-3000lf per week. I like the out sourcing, but sometimes there is value to being able to run what you need when you need it and not having installers idle waiting for a sub who may not think your 1500 LF of molding is his top priority on a give day. You can definetly get a cutter stack to form a bullnose with two heads, try freeborn, Schmidt in NJ, ask whoever you use know what stock options they have available. You will need one up/one down, inserts would better as one head will get dull 50% faster running that last edge and keeping 3 wing braised tooling matched over multiple sharpenings can get tricky. Unless other aspects of your business plan suggest it's time to vastly increase capacity, I'm thinking one good industrial shaper does this job in a cost effective manner and timely fashion if you organize your stock handling well. Forget any set up that involves routers, it's moving sideways not forward.

Carter Forbes
05-07-2014, 1:29 PM
We make 9 level four sided gondola shelving. Each unit uses 180 lf. If these go into large production and they will, I have to be faster. I agree that 10k is a lot but if I can knock out 100 per month, it may be worth it. We are supplying over 200 stores with roughly 16 units each, and wine racks, and custom sunglass racks. I am ok with simply cutting cost of routing in half, but more important is eliminating most of sanding that hand routing requires.

Carter Forbes
05-07-2014, 1:53 PM
I think a shaper is well within my budget even with a stock feeder. This gig needs to make money now not five yrs down the road.

J.R. Rutter
05-07-2014, 2:05 PM
And you will always find a use for a good shaper/feeder. For me the moulder came after many years of outsourcing and tedious in-house milling. So the labor savings were a huge factor as well. Sounds like the shaper/tooling/feeder will be a good solution.

What I used to do with shapers was install a digital height gauge and leave a stack of heads on. Write down the settings and just crank the spindle up and down as needed. Faster than changing cutters because you don't have to move any fences or dust shrouds. I used ProScales. On this shaper, I used panel mounts because they fit in the factory cutout.

For sticking, which is similar to what you need to do, I have a piece of aluminum bolted to the front portion of the shaper table with UHMW tape strip on the face to prevent rub marks on the wood. This old pic was pre-aluminum, and we used spacers against the fence to set different widths. Also some low tech springs on the fance to help hold wood against the front fence.

https://lh3.googleusercontent.com/-BIbZ9ghpq_k/U2p3C2f9MmI/AAAAAAAAEbU/yN9SYsEG3_A/w556-h834-no/T110N.jpg
https://lh6.googleusercontent.com/-zR3hHdH9vCs/U2p3CtWPEuI/AAAAAAAAEbQ/0z9gp__pKaQ/w1167-h778-no/T110N+top.jpg

Jeff Duncan
05-07-2014, 2:05 PM
I would advise reading Peter's post a couple times as I believe he is spot on. If you want to do this yourself buying your stock pre-milled and ripped to width, and then run through an industrial shaper with custom cutters is a pretty easily achieved upgrade. The key is buying a good shaper, not a light duty Delta or some Asian clone. A good shaper will all but eliminate your sanding. The good news is there's a lot of used industrial shapers sitting on the market with no buyers. I'm not quite sure why, but they're not moving and good deals can be had.

If you want to rip your stock down as well then you'll probably want to upgrade your table saw and add a feeder as well. Not sure if the quantity really justifies an SLR or not, (guessing not), but you'll have to crunch some numbers on that one.

So if my math is right your expecting 2-1/2 - 3 years of steady work just from this single profile? If so and you have them priced correctly you should be able to make a decent investment in tooling to improve your production. Running them with any configuration involving routers is just not practical or economical.

good luck,
Jeffd

Carter Forbes
05-07-2014, 2:36 PM
Looks like a nice set up. Like idea of stacking cutter heads. The uhmw would reduce drag too I'm sure.

Carter Forbes
05-07-2014, 2:50 PM
Your math is correct. Pricing is good. I charge a price that would bury me on a single unit, but on 8-12 (my minimum and average), I make good money. Customer doesn't mind helping with machinery either. He plans to supply these "free" as part of a franchise package and get monthly royalties. The faster I produce, the better it is for both of us. He makes money on his investment, I get paid per unit, and I get some dividend for designing.

Carter Forbes
05-07-2014, 3:13 PM
I've seen used shapers on IRSAuctions.com pretty cheap. I will guess that my next battle will be the tooling for it.

Peter Quinn
05-07-2014, 3:42 PM
I've seen used shapers on IRSAuctions.com pretty cheap. I will guess that my next battle will be the tooling for it.
Not a battle on tooling, pretty stAndard operation, might prove cheaper to buy an insert half round and an insert quarter round than a double stack, consider both options, change over should be less than 5 minutes if diAmeters are same and quarter round runs from below.

Carter Forbes
05-07-2014, 3:47 PM
When these hit production, a used SLR will be on the agenda for sure. For now, a shaper, feeder, and upgrading the DC is perfect and will leave room for an edge bander.

J.R. Rutter
05-07-2014, 3:53 PM
If you get custom tooling, design them so that there is no "hard" shoulder to leave a line on slightly oversized stock and make height more forgiving. Just ask them to extend the cutter slightly at a low angle instead of 90 degrees. 2 degrees off would be fine. I highlighted your drawing to show where I'm talking about.

https://lh3.googleusercontent.com/--B4OevJd0lk/U2qOFSpJcsI/AAAAAAAAEbo/394UpasiKR4/w467-h455-no/Mouldong1.png

Mel Fulks
05-07-2014, 4:03 PM
Insist the knives are made with "5 degrees side clearance " without it you will start to get a little burning near the tangent
point long before the knives are dull. "Insist" is the right word as I have spect that in writing and a couple of times still
not gotten it.

Carter Forbes
05-07-2014, 4:04 PM
Thank you for mentioning that. I had planned to use a 17/32 bullnose but leaving it a few degrees out is a great idea. May do both.

Paul Incognito
05-07-2014, 4:25 PM
A lot of good info Here! I just started using a shaper and I'm reading this and learning a lot!
Thanks All!
Paul

Richard Coers
05-07-2014, 4:26 PM
Your math is correct. Pricing is good. I charge a price that would bury me on a single unit, but on 8-12 (my minimum and average), I make good money. Customer doesn't mind helping with machinery either. He plans to supply these "free" as part of a franchise package and get monthly royalties. The faster I produce, the better it is for both of us. He makes money on his investment, I get paid per unit, and I get some dividend for designing.

This response scares the dickens out of me. How long have you done business with him? Have you had your lawyer look at the contract you have with him? Lots of shops have gotten into BIG trouble with a customer that makes lots of promises of high quantities. Sounds like you need those quantities to make money. What happens if you don't get those orders? The shop invests in machinery, buys lots of material, and then sales don't meet expectations. The customer makes themselves very scarce. I can't stress enough how valuable a good contract will be. He can still refuse to pay, but you may have a leg to stand on if you can afford legal defense of that contract. May be another reason to outsource for a while to confirm the quantities he promises.

Carter Forbes
05-07-2014, 5:47 PM
This response scares the dickens out of me. How long have you done business with him? Have you had your lawyer look at the contract you have with him? Lots of shops have gotten into BIG trouble with a customer that makes lots of promises of high quantities. Sounds like you need those quantities to make money. What happens if you don't get those orders? The shop invests in machinery, buys lots of material, and then sales don't meet expectations. The customer makes themselves very scarce. I can't stress enough how valuable a good contract will be. He can still refuse to pay, but you may have a leg to stand on if you can afford legal defense of that contract. May be another reason to outsource for a while to confirm the quantities he promises.

Really, at least a shaper just to keep up with what I so now.
I've dealt with him for little more than a year. I was in the stairway business but was worn out from the travel. Every job was at least an hour away.
Stupidly, I had let my insurance lapse. Had all my stuff stolen by employees and after six months of chasing my tail, I walked away . The final job was a freestanding open rise radius case that became problematic. Even after the change order the cash flow was insufficient.
He needed some stuff built and provided a space. I've built wood and iron wine racks, wood -metal rotating sunglass racks, and all his cash wraps, cabinetry, etc.... . He has built a franchise based on my work.
The oil company he leases stores from is going nuts over the designs and is chasing a deal. If it goes through, I will be the weak link not him.
Based on what I had left after I left my last business and what I have gained in only one year, I'm not too worried. Thanks for the reply.

Jim Andrew
05-08-2014, 1:33 PM
Bailey's is having a sale right now, ends May 26, they have the Logosol PH360 on sale for 17999, and the PH 260 for 14999. Check out their website baileysonline.com The machines are both 4 sided molders, the 260 is available single phase.

David Kumm
05-08-2014, 1:52 PM
Logosol makes some nice stuff that fits between hobby and high production. Their shaper looks very flexible. Probably not as a stand alone but perfect as a second machine. Dave

Carter Forbes
05-08-2014, 2:48 PM
That work be an expensive "hobby" grade machine. Wouldn't be able to pay myself or eat for two good months .

Carter Forbes
05-08-2014, 4:44 PM
Are Amana Tool Heads good? Found a 5/16 rad for single side and a 5/8"Dia for the double. That should eliminate any line at the tangent and allow for variations in thickness.
They seem cheap. What brands are ya'll familiar with that use good long lasting materials.

Clarence Martin
05-09-2014, 9:46 AM
Have you checked out the machine made by Williams & Hussey ?

J.R. Rutter
05-09-2014, 1:22 PM
Are Amana Tool Heads good? Found a 5/16 rad for single side and a 5/8"Dia for the double. That should eliminate any line at the tangent and allow for variations in thickness.
They seem cheap. What brands are ya'll familiar with that use good long lasting materials.

Freeborn is a solid choice. Tell them what species and they will steer you to carbide or tantung tips for best results and longest life.

Carter Forbes
05-09-2014, 10:29 PM
Thanks, freeborn it is. I'm looking at a 5hp Laguna with 1.25" spindle and digital readout. Only thing I'm unsure on now is hp for feeder.

J.R. Rutter
05-10-2014, 1:04 AM
Thanks, freeborn it is. I'm looking at a 5hp Laguna with 1.25" spindle and digital readout. Only thing I'm unsure on now is hp for feeder.

Nice. 1 HP feeder is standard for that size shaper. I've used 1/4 and 1/2 HP feeders as well and they work, but are not as versatile (ease of changing setups) or solid (mass to dampen vibration and stiffer columns).

Jeff Duncan
05-10-2014, 7:57 AM

Be careful with the Laguna stuff, I haven't seen one in person but have watched the video "tours" of the equipment and it does not look very industrial. Personally I'd go with something a little more robust that's used over their stuff new…..but that's just me!

good luck,
JeffD

David Kumm
05-10-2014, 8:46 AM
Carter, just for reference, here is a 5K machine on the used market, T130, 2005. Compare to the Laguna. Dave289020

David Kumm
05-10-2014, 9:39 AM
5 hp is usually a pretty stout machine although hp is not the real judge. The design and mass of the quill assembly are more important. I'm a one pass guy, get the best finish that way - in my world. Like anything else, to get a good value you need to do your homework and spend some time talking to the seller. I always budget 500-1000 for surprises and fixes into the price. Here are some spindles for comparison.289023 Left is a 3hp Asian. Next is a 6 hp Knapp, the T130, and a Felder 7-700 series. Again for reference. Dave

Carter Forbes
05-10-2014, 9:45 AM
Thanks for illustrating that. I guess I'll do more research. I can't find that t130 less than $6,500.

Carter Forbes
05-10-2014, 11:26 AM
Thanks Dave. I will pay help to route and sand it all again until I find a machine we can all agree on. I was going Laguna , but I can see how a full time machine can open more doors for me. Time to diversify my income.

J.R. Rutter
05-10-2014, 12:57 PM
The T110 was one of my favorites. Just small enough to shove around the floor if needed. Not as robust as the T130, but more than capable of running your profiles. 360 degree is on the upper range for price, but they have a good reputation for being selective with their offerings - no beat up junk.

http://360degreemachinery.com/?p=4553

Here is one with reverse switch and height gauge, but no feeder.

http://www.machineryassociates.com/members/CentexAutomation/SCM-SCMI-SCMI-Shaper-T110-Machine-For-Sale-4915

J.R. Rutter
05-25-2014, 1:03 PM
4 head SCMI Compact 23 for cheap.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/SCMI-Moulder-/331211461820?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item4d1dbdd4bc

Rick Fisher
05-25-2014, 2:44 PM
I would probably do it with a shaper, but a moulder would be the ultimate .. The shaper might be more versatile down the road. I would do exactly as JR and David described. Get a used t-110 or T-130 and a 1hp power feeder. I wouldn't go lower than 1hp on the feeder.

If you buy a T-110 or T-130 used, you will be able to sell it for what you paid should needs change.

Justin Ludwig
05-25-2014, 6:22 PM
289023 Left is a 3hp Asian. Next is a 6 hp Knapp, the T130, and a Felder 7-700 series. Again for reference. Dave

That makes me sick to my stomach. Only because I'm on the wrong side of the picture.

Peter Quinn
05-25-2014, 6:36 PM
I'm using the sliding table version of the t-130 David referenced above, its a pleasure to set up and run, that class of shaper is basic, but in a good way, and should handle about anything you will throw at it. I think they paid $4500 at auction? Keep looking, expect to pay freight, there may not be one in your back yard so look wide. In europe they call them spindle molders, and for a good reason, its basically a single spindle vertical molder. Real stout. I haven't used a t-110 but I own a shaper in the same weight class, also very capable, probably not quite as good for larger architectural work like small crown runs or large curved work to pattern, but very capable of doing the types of things you originally mentioned and quite a bit more. I'm not sure which Laguna you meant, they have several 5HP models, the big stomia slider looks pretty robust, and 5HP is enough to do the work you are discussing but certainly not enough for what that machine is capable of based on its build. Should be at least 7.5, or 9, or even 11HP based on its size and weight. My point is skip the laguna if possible, the big one is very expensive, the lower end asian imports look like the same junk clone I've seen from other vendors, just sub standard. To me a shaper's performance in a business should be perfunctory, its just there doing the work as a given, no work arounds, no heavy sanding sessions to overcome chatter and runout, no fighting with a bad fence. Take a close look at the fence on any machine you are considering, is it easily adjustable, do you need tools to make those adjustments that you must track down each time you set it up, do the cutters come in and out easily? The t-130 has a mechanical digital height readout (i.e. not electronic) that is dead accurate as a relative reading, I've been going back to a set up for a large job, cope stick and panel, in between other moldings and work, its dead on every time just by marking all the bushings and going back to the original numbers. Set it once....done. To me thats what a small custom shop needs, quick accurate set ups and versatile performance. Those asian imports? Bad fences, sloppy raising/lowering/locking mechanism, small cartridge bearings, etc. There are two sitting next to the t-13o that I wont even use, tried, not accurate enough, one is not square to the table, lock nut system is the strangest thing I've ever seen, whole thing feels like something I made in my garage on a bridge port from spare parts.

Amana braised cutters are a good value IMO, they arrive sharp, the carbide is thick and can be resharpened plenty of times, they work well for the money. Freeborn seems to work better, maybe its the angle they hit the wood? Maybe they are finer grain carbide? I have no idea really other then to say they seem to cut a little better a little longer, and for that pleasure you pay. The amana carbide insert heads are a whole different animal, they are excellent IME, and quite expensive like most industry tooling, they are actually a fair value in the level at which they compete.

Mike Heidrick
05-25-2014, 6:54 PM
Laguna has the T1002S shaper. It would easily do what you want and may be cheaper used than a scmi or felder. You can stack the cutters easily. Does anyone make a cutter with indexable carbide inserts that would do what you want vs the braized carbide of freeborn? Would make replacements fast and cheap overall maybe. Thinking a rebate dual chamfer head of some kind? JR or David do you know?

http://i39.photobucket.com/albums/e169/BloomingtonMike/t1002s6.jpg

http://i39.photobucket.com/albums/e169/BloomingtonMike/shaper4.jpg

If you question its build quality come on over. I Would not trade it for a 700 series Felder. Stomana Hickman makes them in Bulgaria. Laguna installs a 5hp Baldor reliance motor and a Fuji Mini AF300 VFD. I am not sure what amperage or phase you run in your shop but 7.5hp, 9hp, and 11hp 3 phase are no joke and converting 220V single phase to power those bad boys will demand an expensive VFD or a large RPC. Now you may have 3phase available in your shop but if you are running router tables today I am guessing you better plan for the electrical as well.

David Kumm
05-25-2014, 10:04 PM
If you are going with a big shaper you should upgrade the wiring and go with an RPC. A shaper with an internal vfd to convert from single phase adds lots of complicated issues inside the machine and is never easy to repair and the vfd fitted is often such that you don't have a ton of choices at reasonable prices. Felder uses that as well with some of their machines that have variable speed- an option I'd avoid. Here are the shapers that go with the spindles. Fixed and sliding T130. I do prefer the slider on the Knapp and Felder to the cast iron T130 for ease of use but the T130 handles larger cutters. All are under 5K used. The last is an older Martin which is replacing the fixed T130 so it is for sale. Used can be found at a good value. Dave290055290056290060290061

Peter Quinn
05-25-2014, 10:40 PM
Laguna has the T1002S shaper. It would easily do what you want and may be cheaper used than a scmi or felder. You can stack the cutters easily. Does anyone make a cutter with indexable carbide inserts that would do what you want vs the braized carbide of freeborn? Would make replacements fast and cheap overall maybe. Thinking a rebate dual chamfer head of some kind? JR or David do you know? If you question its build quality come on over. I Would not trade it for a 700 series Felder. Stomana Hickman makes them in Bulgaria. Laguna installs a 5hp Baldor reliance motor and a Fuji Mini AF300 VFD. I am not sure what amperage or phase you run in your shop but 7.5hp, 9hp, and 11hp 3 phase are no joke and converting 220V single phase to power those bad boys will demand an expensive VFD or a large RPC. Now you may have 3phase available in your shop but if you are running router tables today I am guessing you better plan for the electrical as well.

I have 7hp 3phase in my shop, not that expensive to install or run, I turned down a reasonably priced 20HP phase convertor, just don't need that, but he's running a business and may have 3 phase native if he's in a commercial or industrial zone. Mike, you got a great deal on that shaper, but at $10K list you can most definitely get a used SCMI with a 9 HP motor. No shot or insult meant to your machine, but I have run moldings that would would stall a 5HP motor period, or at least make it labor hard. Stomia seems to offer that shaper with much larger motors, look at the whole in the table, would you want to push a 10" cutter with a 5HP motor? Why laguna doesn't at least offer a motor to match the build is beyond me, but if they want to be considered industrial, 5HP is the shallow end of the pool. If he wants to go new IMO Stiles Ironwood FX750 is a interesting direction to look for a commercial enterprise, and Stiles support is quite good. SCMI is a fine choice too.

On the cutters the dual chamfer head from garniga might do that but I don't see the radius being great enough to service the need. HSS is still a good value at the volumes he is discussing, a 2" corrugated back knife could be cut by any good grinding shop and incorporate both of those cuts into one knife, bull nose on the lower inch and quarter round on the upper edge would be my spec. Most of the insert tooling is metric, I'm guessing he could get the profiles ground in carbide for a euro block, or carbide corrugated if required. I though sure there was a stock insert option but can't find one. Insert heads with indexing are easier to set up for inexperienced users but no more effective IME at getting the work done, though stock inserts tend to be cheaper than a sharpening if available. Leitz might have an option worth discussing. http://www.leitztooling.com/profiling-profilcut.htm

Rick Fisher
05-25-2014, 11:59 PM
I look at the SCM T-110 that JR posted .. The second one .. a 1996 in really nice shape. Its $3400 ..

I wonder how much it cost in 1996. I wonder what type of resale value that T-110 had in 18 years ..

At $3400.00 if its in decent shape, its not a bad deal..

Carter Forbes
05-26-2014, 10:23 AM
Thanks for all the help. I have found several scmi 110 here locally from $1,200 to $1,900. From 6hp to 9. The
guy selling has five available. Powermatic power feed 1hp bareley used (in boxes) for $850.
In the meantime I've gotten new bits, all 1/2" shank , with larger bearings. My helper can get 1,500 feet routed very clean - three sides in 2.5 hours now. . I'm still going to get the shaper. I want the building first though.

Peter Quinn
05-27-2014, 9:04 PM
Thanks for all the help. I have found several scmi 110 here locally from $1,200 to $1,900. From 6hp to 9. The
guy selling has five available. Powermatic power feed 1hp bareley used (in boxes) for $850.
In the meantime I've gotten new bits, all 1/2" shank , with larger bearings. My helper can get 1,500 feet routed very clean - three sides in 2.5 hours now. . I'm still going to get the shaper. I want the building first though.

Chanting "Shaper, Shaper Shaper...."

Jeff Duncan
05-28-2014, 10:15 AM
If you were close to me I could hook you up with a good deal on a nice Martin similar to the one David posted! I think the SCM T-110's will certainly do the job, I've come close to buying one several times, they generally fetch about $2000 - $2500 at auction around here.

I haven't personally seen the laguna but if you watch the video's they post online I'm not sure that do have the build to support much more than a 5 hp motor? It certainly doesn't look like the beefiest quill I've ever seen. Not trying to bash them, just saying there may be better, (beefier), options for that kind of money.

JeffD