PDA

View Full Version : Thought of Gail while I was in the shop today

Alden Miller
06-26-2005, 1:11 PM
No, not that way! :D

I was putting a finish on a bookcase I am working on and I was applying it to the back of the piece. This will be attached to a wall and never seen.

So, I know how Gail feels about finishing unseen parts, what's your opinion?

-Alden

Larry Norton
06-26-2005, 2:52 PM
My opinion?? Your Dodge is a piece of junk!:D

Sorry, Buddy. I haven't been able to say that in a while.

Gail O'Rourke
06-26-2005, 3:28 PM
Alden, you are so sweet....I'll take compliment anywhere I can get it.

So, as you know, for a customer, I do a cursory finish, I don't mind the extra time. Forr myself, less is more...

Don Slaughter
06-26-2005, 4:39 PM
Hey Alden....post some pics! I always apply the finish to the back although I don't concern myself with the looks of it...more to insure even moisture intake (or not) in the piece.
BTW good to see you over here. I recently posted a question on this and the other forum. Got one response on the other forum and six here. IMHO that place is going downhill fast.....One thread today titled "cookie" had only a period in the body of the post and got 9 responses.
good luck,
Don

Jim Becker
06-26-2005, 4:52 PM
Finishing the back may very well make for a more stable cabinet, even though it's not going to be seen. A quick coat of shellac will do the trick, is easy to apply and does the job.

Michael Gabbay
06-26-2005, 8:15 PM
I put a finish on all parts seen or not. I think it helps stabalize the wood. The last thing I need to to rebuild a back just to save a few cents and about an hours time.

Alden - Stop thinking about Gail! Myra will hear you! :D Besides Gail's husband rides a Harley :eek: .

Mike

Frank Pellow
06-26-2005, 10:38 PM
I always finish the back of furniture. One reason for doing so, is that it allows the furniture to eventually get placed somewhere where the back is seen. A good example of this was a bookcase that I built as a teanager which, after I got married, was used as a room divider for many years.

Alden Miller
06-27-2005, 7:51 AM
Ok, I guess I could be a little more clear. This is a built-in, the back is never intended to be seen. It's MDF core plywood so it will be plenty stable even if no finish is applied.

If this was a piece of fine furniture there would be no question I'm just wondering what people normally do for a piece like this.

-Alden

Bill Lewis
06-27-2005, 7:58 AM
As you describe it, and if I was hand finishing, I wouldn't touch it.

However, if I was doing a spray finish, it'd probably get a quick coat or two, but only if it was a veneer mdf ply.

Jay Knoll
06-27-2005, 8:04 AM
Alden

Living in humid FL, land of mildew and mold, I'd seal anything just to make sure I didn't have a problem down the road, even if it was going to be built in. But that's just a climate specific situation I guess

Jay

Mike Alagna
06-27-2005, 8:14 AM
I usually finish the back for a few reasons. First I think it looks better if it is seen by the clients or anyone else when transporting it. Second, It can help in the movement effects from temp / humidity and third and probably the main reason is I start all of my finishing on teh back so that if I make a mistake or I have any problems applying the finish I have them worked out by the time I make it to the front. If it is a really big piece I may skip the final coats but I will always at least prime or seal coat. Always

Ken Fitzgerald
06-27-2005, 8:56 AM
I finished the back recently on the oak buffet for my wife. I did it to reduce climate/temperature change effects on it. I didn't worry about how it looked....just a couple of quick thinned coats to seal it.

Bill Grumbine
06-27-2005, 11:00 AM
Ok, I guess I could be a little more clear. This is a built-in, the back is never intended to be seen. It's MDF core plywood so it will be plenty stable even if no finish is applied.

If this was a piece of fine furniture there would be no question I'm just wondering what people normally do for a piece like this.

-Alden

Hi Alden

If it was in my own home, it probably wouldn't get any finish on it. But I just delivered a piece for a customer last week, and while it is not a built in, is going up against a wall never to be moved. She went nuts over it, exclaiming over and over again how beautiful it was. I tell you this because one of her comments was that even the back was finished. No one is going to see it, but she is going to remember it and extoll my virtues to many future customers.

So, I guess it depends on who is getting it.

Bill