PDA

View Full Version : Shopsmith Mark V question

Bret Schaffner
05-05-2014, 10:06 PM
I starting Keeping an Eye out on CL for a Shopsmith Mark V to us a amuilt tool for a second for some for my other tools Drill Press , Bandsaw, Lathe, Disc Sander, ECT.

I have seen them with the attachment I’m looking for from time to time on CL around $300 to $500.

Few question

Does the Lathe head stock have MT 2

How much work and time is it to change between tools (15min,30 min, 1hr )

How easy is it to move around?

How easy is it to find parts?

Any other input would be great

Thanks in advance
Bret

Larry Browning
05-05-2014, 10:26 PM
I don't know what an MT 2 is. But I think the lathe is fine.

tool changes are pretty quick typically 5-10 minutes.

Most shopsmiths have a wheel assy that works very well.

Parts can be ordered from shopsmith. They are overpriced if you ask me though.

Ken Fitzgerald
05-05-2014, 10:38 PM
Larry,

He wants to know if the headstock uses a #2 Morse taper.

Bret Schaffner
05-05-2014, 10:49 PM
I don't know what an MT 2 is. But I think the lathe is fine.

tool changes are pretty quick typically 5-10 minutes.

Most shopsmiths have a wheel assy that works very well.

Parts can be ordered from shopsmith. They are overpriced if you ask me though.

Sorry Ken's correct #2 Morse taper

would you say $300 to $500 is to much for the Mark V with Lathe, Drill press, Bandsaw, Disc sander?

Jack Lemley
05-06-2014, 12:18 AM
I have owned and used a Mark V for over 30 years. The answers to your questions are listed in order asked below:

1. Yes
2. 2 to 3 minutes max
3. Mine rolls very easy with the caster set. Push two handles with your foot to lower the wheels and go where ever you want. Depending on the age of the unit you may need new wheels.
4. Shopsmith has nearly every part you will need and are still in business. Parts are also easy to come by on Ebay.

I have upgraded mine over years from the 1987 Mark V 500 to the PowerPro 520. Very versatile tool to have. American made and built to last. I have a boat load of other tools but wouldn't consider parting with my SS.

Jack

I starting Keeping an Eye out on CL for a Shopsmith Mark V to us a amuilt tool for a second for some for my other tools Drill Press , Bandsaw, Lathe, Disc Sander, ECT.

I have seen them with the attachment I’m looking for from time to time on CL around $300 to $500.

Few question

Does the Lathe head stock have MT 2

How much work and time is it to change between tools (15min,30 min, 1hr )

How easy is it to move around?

How easy is it to find parts?

Any other input would be great

Thanks in advance
Bret

Larry Browning
05-06-2014, 6:29 AM
I'd say that 300-500 is a fair price and about right. Go to the SS website to checkout their part prices. Also be aware of the shipping and sales tax charges.

Ronald Blue
05-06-2014, 6:53 AM
The tailstock is Morse Taper #2. The headstock is a 5/8" stubshaft and everything mounts on that. You can put chucks, faceplates, etc on the stub. I have two model 510's. They have some good points and bad points but there has been plenty of nice pieces that came off of one. Shopsmith is still in business as mentioned and parts are available. Make sure you seek at least a 500 or above series. Older models have a serial number age look up on the Shopsmith site. Nwer ones the serial number is a date code. Such as 05062014. It's explained on their website. If you buy it right you won't regret it IMHO. Good luck.

Tom Giles
05-06-2014, 8:01 AM
I agree with the 2 posters above. The 1st thing I would check on a used unit is the run-out of the quill as that is the center of a Shopsmiths universe. The quill is replaceable/up-gradable. Older units have one bearing while newer units have two.

300-500 is a steal for a good SS for what you get. People here don't think twice about spending more than that on the newest "must-have" powered hand tool.

As long as you remember the SS is a hobbiest level tool and you're not expecting an industrial tool you'll be fine,

Larry Browning
05-06-2014, 8:08 AM
I think that 2-3 minutes is unrealistic for tool change. By the time you adjust the table and verify that everything is square you are looking at around 10 minutes or so. At least that has been my experience. And it really makes a difference in what you are changing from and to. for instance, if you are changing from the bandsaw to the drill press it is very quick, but if you are changing from say the lathe to the bandsaw, there is much more to do and it will take longer. Plus, I'm the kind of person that has to check everything 3 times to make sure things are tight and aligned properly, and I don't get in a hurry when it comes to woodworking. I don't pay too much attention to how long something takes, I am more interested in making sure it is safe and accurate, so maybe I am not the right person to answer a question about time to do a task.

Tom Giles
05-06-2014, 8:19 AM
Once the Shopsmith is initially set-up changing between the bandsaw, jointer, drill press or lathe is just a matter of a few minutes max. I've never used the table saw part so can't speak on that.

Nowadays I have the large floor model tools and the SS sits idle in the corner of the shop for the most part but I can't seem to let myself part with it.

Keith Hankins
05-06-2014, 9:03 AM
I had a shosmith for years and it was ok for what it was. Change overs take a bit but I had a 10x12 shop and it was handy. The lathe was ok too. TS was a PIA, but loved the H-drill press. Tried selling mine for over a year on CL and ended up letting it go for 200. Like others said, quill run out and see if the motor spins up nice and easy. Take the access cover off the side and peer in. If it's nasty and clogged with dust, it was not cared for. I used to maintence mine regular, and it never failed. Kinda wished I'd kept it just for the 12" disk sander.

Jack Lemley
05-06-2014, 9:33 AM
Larry,

The only function that takes me 5 minutes to change over for is the lathe duplicator but that is a different animal all together with lots of extra pieces to be installed. As to making sure everything in square I use a Wixey gauge which adds maybe 5 seconds to reach for it and turn it on to check square.

Jack

I think that 2-3 minutes is unrealistic for tool change. By the time you adjust the table and verify that everything is square you are looking at around 10 minutes or so. At least that has been my experience. And it really makes a difference in what you are changing from and to. for instance, if you are changing from the bandsaw to the drill press it is very quick, but if you are changing from say the lathe to the bandsaw, there is much more to do and it will take longer. Plus, I'm the kind of person that has to check everything 3 times to make sure things are tight and aligned properly, and I don't get in a hurry when it comes to woodworking. I don't pay too much attention to how long something takes, I am more interested in making sure it is safe and accurate, so maybe I am not the right person to answer a question about time to do a task.

Larry Browning
05-06-2014, 9:49 AM
Larry,

The only function that takes me 5 minutes to change over for is the lathe duplicator but that is a different animal all together with lots of extra pieces to be installed. As to making sure everything in square I use a Wixey gauge which adds maybe 5 seconds to reach for it and turn it on to check square.

Jack
Well, good for you Jack, my experiences have been different. They don't call me the slowest woodworker on the planet for nothing. A badge I wear proudly!

Larry Browning
05-06-2014, 10:09 AM
I was just checking the local CL and the prices are all over the place. From $300 to over $3000. One thing for sure, they are not in short supply.

Bill Space
05-06-2014, 4:42 PM
Hi,

While I have a number of stationary tools, I still like my shopsmith for the horizontal boring, drill press, 12" disk sander functions. I should say Shopsmiths... I have three, although two are at the house next door which I am renovating.

The most I paid has been $225 for one recently, but it came with TWO bandsaws, but was missing some accessories. A couple years ago $200 bought a nice one with most standard accessories plus a great condition bandsaw. Sometime between I bought an older greenie for $125 or less (don't remember the final price) that was just the basic unit plus a number of accessories.

Message is if you wait a while you can find a good deal in the $200 or less range maybe...depends on your area...and own a fine tool for the investment.

Change over time is a non issue from what I have seen. Once you get used to what needs done it is very easy, and not a pain at all. Be sure to buy one that has casters installed, otherwise it will be a pain as you can not easily move it. I think most probably have the casters...but if you buy one that does not it will cost you to add them.

Having a disk sander that moves to the work, rather than having to move the work into the sander is priceless when sanding the end of a long piece like a railing, to get the angle just right.

There is GREAT value in a Shopsmith when you can buy one for the $200 range or a bit more.

Even though I have a lot of stand alone tools, I still would want at least one Shopsmith in my shop, to do the things it excels at. I do not use the table saw function...never have. I have a cabinet saw, so why would I? The Shopsmith table saw function scares me...horizontal boring function is great. And so on...

Bill

Ron Stohr
05-07-2014, 9:54 AM
I own 2 Shopsmiths, one is a 1957 vintage 10-ER the other is a 1978 Mark 5 I believe. The 78 has the SS caster wheels and moves great. the 57ish on is mounted on home built wooden bench that is a beast to move! I use the table saw all the time. The table saw can get a little scary to work with because it is small. Other thing that scares me is I just don't like tilting the table. Just have to be very careful when using table saw. I have to really watch the fence on mine when ripping, measure twice and really watch while cutting to make sure you keep things tight to the fence! I have been cutting 2x10's 8'. The feed rate has to be really slow or the saw will bog down or blow a circuit. Mine have a single bearing quill so I have found the there is a little run-out when drilling or doing small items on the lathe. Finishing or remounting bottle stopper's on the lathe can be a little frustrating because of that. All in all though for the money they are a great buy. I am glad I have them but some day hope to have a nicer table saw and a different lathe.