PDA

View Full Version : Any Ideas on water scrubbers

Craig Matheny
05-05-2014, 6:45 PM
I am closing my store and bringing the machines to the home shop and want to control smell and smoke from cutting birch. I have searched the forums and see Dan's DIY and some others but I am looking for the idea of a water scrubber. I have looked on line have ideas and just not sure if it will do the job of smoke and smell removal. I read a post that talked about one posting talking about them but had no luck. So any ideas?

Kev Williams
05-05-2014, 7:26 PM
Water to control smell?

bongs and bathtubs don't seem to work at stopping certain smells...

;)

Craig Matheny
05-05-2014, 7:33 PM
I know they work we have a black smith here and they exhaust the shop to a water scrubber and no smell or smoke left. that is why the question how does it work?

Mike Lassiter
05-06-2014, 10:23 AM
I have recirculated the air inside our building from the start. The building is 12x32 and simply no way to heat or cool that with a 3-1/2 HP blower rated at 2000 CFM. It is a work in progress. I have gave thought to using a water spray in the stream then go thru a cyclone. Over simplified but there is information on this online for air flows from 1000 CFM and up for commercial applications that seems promising, Will probably require making everything from scratch or spending a great deal to get one.

What I am using works, but filters don't last as long as I would like for the replacement cost, even using electrostatic filter first. It seems we both see promise in the possibility here.

David Somers
05-06-2014, 11:21 AM
Mike,

Just curious what you are using for a filter right now?

Mike Lassiter
05-06-2014, 11:44 AM
Largest Amana High Efficiency Electronic Air filter (20x25) with Amana 20x25x5 MERV 11 filter on top of that both rated @ 2000 CFM with home made tray for activated charcoal. This is in cabinet that the huge blower blows thru in a insulated (for noise) closet with vent grates in ceiling which in turn goes into enclosed opening sort of like a attic that has 2 16x20 filters in the ceiling of the opposite end of the building from the laser. Laser sits in left rear corner of shop, closet on right rear corner and vents in ceiling are about 1/4 length of building sort of directing air back toward laser. Get a circular flow inside shop. Mini split heat pump mounted on end wall above window by laser for heat and a/c.