PDA

View Full Version : Bases to stand acrylic in

Mark Ward
05-05-2014, 9:25 AM
I am after some suggestions as I've hit a brick wall from finding something ready made for what I need.
Basically I need a stand for some acyrlic (I have searched on here but couldn't find my answer). I'm thinking something like wooden menu holders type of thing (http://www.bhma.co.uk/menu-holders/wooden-menu-holders/sleeper-menu-holder.html ) but the space would need to be 3mm or 5mm for my acyrlic as at the base I want to lay some LED strip lights that will then shine up through the acrylic.

All the menu holders I've looked at are now long enough, I want something at least 500mm wide which is where I'm hitting my stumbling block as menu holders are all considerably shorter than that.

Even ready made things such as this: http://s435962429.initial-website.co.uk/s/cc_images/cache_1830942.jpg?t=1350499437 but I can't find any (I have the LED and controller).

Anyone know of a decent affordable ready made solution or am I likely to need to get something like that custom made? :)

Mike Null
05-05-2014, 10:18 AM
It's an easy and inexpensive job with a router.

Paul hardy
05-05-2014, 1:22 PM
You might check http://www.superbrightleds.com/cat/housings/ they have quite a few different profiles made to hold LED strips.

Mark Ward
05-07-2014, 10:20 AM
Thanks for the replies, we were really after some stands that were of the size we needed. We knew we could use a router to make the groove we needed but getting the blocks at the right size was the problem. I've since contacted a company in the UK who will make them to our size and spec, need to wait for their price before I decide if we need to look at alternative options now.

Jiten Patel
05-07-2014, 10:47 AM
Mark,

I would love for you to share your supplier if you find they are affordable and the workman ship it good. I've been looking for these for ages and found no off-the-shelf units in the UK. Might be something to look into as a business idea!!!

Mark Ward
05-07-2014, 11:16 AM
I will let you know when I get a reply on price. Really don't have a clue if they will be silly money or not, I'm taking a guess they will be the wrong side of what we'd be looking to spend but will report back when I get a firm price.

Mark Ward
05-12-2014, 9:58 AM
Mark,

I would love for you to share your supplier if you find they are affordable and the workman ship it good. I've been looking for these for ages and found no off-the-shelf units in the UK. Might be something to look into as a business idea!!!
Hi Jit, I've had a couple of quotes now so did say I'd report back on what I found.

1st quote was for: 500mm x 70mm x 46mm angled block with 5mm through groove, solid Mahogany @ £15 each based on 10 pieces.

2nd quote: 44mm x 70mm x 520mm Grooved & Angled block in American Ash FAS Grade:
- £26.65 per piece based on 10 pieces
- £7.21 per piece based on 50 pieces
- £3.97 per piece based on 100 pieces

It's only about £30 more for an extra 50 pieces from 50 to 100 which is where they become much more cost effective. Initial costs for the smaller amounts are for set up etc. It's a tricky one as 100 is far more than we need but it's not far off the same price for 100 as it is for 50 :eek:

Jiten Patel
05-12-2014, 10:43 AM
Hi Mark,

Thats a pretty fair price. Did this include the LED's, on/off switch, plugs etc or just the housing? Do you have images of these? Also is this the largest they can do?

If this all works and the bases are right, I would be happy to go halves with you should you not need the full amount?

Mark Ward
05-12-2014, 10:56 AM
Hi Mark,

Thats a pretty fair price. Did this include the LED's, on/off switch, plugs etc or just the housing? Do you have images of these? Also is this the largest they can do?

If this all works and the bases are right, I would be happy to go halves with you should you not need the full amount?
No, unfortunately this is just wooden bases to stand the acyrlic in. We're then thinking of just laying the LED strips along the base of it and then standing the acrylic on top. The full set of LED lights, remote control, plug etc aren't cheap from what we have found, however my thought process is that for the type of event it would be needed for (I'm guessing the same as what you are thinking) people will probably pay a decent price for it all, especially as they also get to take it all home and so an impressive lit table plan shoudl hopefully make its money back easy enough!

No image yet, it was initial contact with them just to get a rough estimate on price, I am going to contact them again and ask if they can knock me a sample up. With regards to sizes, they will be able to go upto a couple of meters I would imagine in length if required.

Jiten Patel
05-12-2014, 11:08 AM
That's exactly what we want them for. Also need them for some art projects we have on the go. The former is a no-brainer with acrylic table plans selling for 200-300 each as they are without edge lighting.