PDA

View Full Version : Jet Jointer jj6cs

Joe Nasca
05-05-2014, 9:15 AM
Bought this guy for $300 a few weeks ago. Came with three new knives, that needed to be installed. I messed with it for a week, getting so-so joints. I then decided to install the new knives. WOW, what a difference. My joints are 10x better and all is well. I will say though, it is incredibly difficult to get them aligned. Took well over an hour and a half, but totally worth the time.

One thing I am seeing... after buying a straight edge, I am noticing that my fence is a little warped. It does not seem to be making hurting my cuts but I cannot be certain. It makes its damn near impossible to get my fence truly square to my in and outfeed tables. Any suggestions?

Dick Mahany
05-05-2014, 9:37 AM
For knife setting, I have used the magnet-on-glass plate method and also the Oneway omnijig. Either method took less than 15 minutes to get perfect knife alignment. As for the fence, if it is warped along it's length, then it shouldn't be a problem. If it is twisted along its length such that only one end of the fence can be squared to the tables, then a local machine shop might be able to surface it. IIRC, many years ago Powermatic had instructions for flattening a bowed fence that resulted from a "green casting". Try a search for that and see if it is of any help. I have that same jointer and it is a little gem even after 15 yrs.

Joe Nasca
05-05-2014, 12:47 PM
Thanks, I'll do a little research. I shopped around and a new fence would be about $100

Myk Rian
05-05-2014, 4:06 PM
Get the fence square to the out-feed table. Don't fret over the in-feed.

Dave Cullen
05-05-2014, 4:28 PM
Get the fence square to the out-feed table. Don't fret over the in-feed.

This ^

And if you do elect to have a machinist flatten it, please report back. The fence on my jointer is a bit twisted and it's annoyed me for 30 years.