PDA

View Full Version : Saw handle grips 3 vs 4 finger

Roger Rettenmeier
05-04-2014, 9:21 PM
I have a decent arsenal of old saws. Most would require the use of a three finger grip, with the index finger pointing down the spine of the saw. I have a few (one a recently acquired Bishop #7 crosscut) that have a four finger hand hold. I personally like the three finger handle. I guess my question is more historical. Is there a reason for one vs the other?

Mike Siemsen
05-05-2014, 12:16 AM
Put on a pair of gloves and build a house in cold weather like they did back in the day. You will find there is room for a 3 finger grip.

Joe Bailey
05-05-2014, 12:24 AM
Nearly all hand tool aficionados are familiar with the so-called "thumbhole" Disston D8.

Fewer realize that, although there is not a separate thumbhole, many saw handles are designed so that there is room above a three fingered grip to allow the thumb of the left hand to pass through the handle above the (3) fingers of the right hand.

Roger Rettenmeier
05-05-2014, 12:40 AM
The Bishop saw I mentioned is a 26 in X cut saw. It makes sense for a larger x cut saw to have the extra handle space for construction applications. Thanx

Roger Rettenmeier
05-05-2014, 1:13 AM
Just checked it out with the left thumb on top... Made for it

Ron Bontz
05-05-2014, 10:03 AM
Put on a pair of gloves and build a house in cold weather like they did back in the day. You will find there is room for a 3 finger grip.

You know, I really never thought about that. Live and learn. Thank you.