PDA

View Full Version : ROS problem

Kevin Wolfe
05-04-2014, 7:40 PM
I bought a dewalt ROS about a month ago and have only used it a couple of times so far. When I bought it, I grabbed a few different grits of the diablo disks with the adhesive backing. The problem is, I can't keep the disks on for more than 10-15 min of sanding at the most. I have poked holes in some and left others untouched.

Is is there a trick to it? Should I used doubled sided tape underneath? What am I missing?

Mark Bolton
05-04-2014, 8:13 PM
May sound stupid but are you sure its a psa pad and not hook and loop?

Dimitrios Fradelakis
05-04-2014, 8:15 PM
I would not of poked holes in any of them. Any type of alteration will cause the adhesive to lose its effectiveness (touching the adhesive). But since you say that this occurs with discs that you haven't poked holes in my guess would be that the discs are no good. Probably old stock or it's flat out a bad batch. You should NEVER have to add any type of adhesive on PSA discs.

Dimitrios Fradelakis
05-04-2014, 8:18 PM
Come to think of it Mark may be right.

Peter Quinn
05-04-2014, 8:28 PM
I just went to the DeWalt site...every sander they have for sale presently accepts hook and loop paper, not PSA. So, chances are good, you bought the wrong paper. The PSA stuff really only sticks to the correct pad, which is a vinyl lined rubbery feeling thing. Hook and loop is like velcro, the paper has a fuzzy back like cotton balls that sticks quite effectively to the pads and has the aded benefit over PSA of being easily removed and later reused. You might be able to buy a PSA pad for your sander, or at least an inter face that converts from Hook and loop to PSA so you can use the paper you own, google sander interface pads, there are a few options available, not sure what works with your hole pattern as far as dust collection.

Kevin Wolfe
05-04-2014, 9:25 PM
Wow, I think you are right. The bottom IS kind of like Velcro. I had no idea there were different pads. Guess I need to return the ones I have not opened and get new ones. Phew! Thanks folks.