PDA

View Full Version : Random Thoughts From The Antique Mall

James Mittlefehldt
06-26-2005, 7:44 AM
My wife and offspring were in New Hampshire from Wednesday till late last night. I was on my own so I went to an antique mall I like, to have a look around yesterday. For some reason SC was on my mind very much as I went through it. This could be a little long but hopefully of some interest.

There seemed to be a number of new vendors form the last time I was there, so it took me a long time to go through the place. I saw an early Victorian dresser with four drawers below, and two smaller ones on each side of the arched mirror. The dresser was made of a beautiful Mahogany, the drawers all having a highly figured grain.

The four smaller drawers flanking the mirror, were all nicely dovetailed, though I noticed that like many such pieces, the rear dovetails were done either by an apprentice or the master did them in a hurry, they did not show the same attention to detail the more visible ones on the front did. I also noticed somethng I have not noted before but I am sure I read it somewhere. The four small drawers had their bottoms, which by the way had been handplaned to fit the drawer botton groove, extending beyond the ends of the drawer sides, each one a slightly different length, to I assume, make the fronts fit flush in their openings.

I got into a discussion with one of the floor walkers about some 1920's dining roome suites. One I am sure was made by Gibbard an old established company that I believe is still in business today. The wood was all Walnut, not figured but very nicely aged. There were six chairs a table a buffet or sideboard, and a china cabinet. The secondery woods were all hard woods, and they used a particular lock joint on the drawer fronts that I rarely see except on their stuff. There was no plywood or MDF or particle board in the entire set. It was $2100. and in mint condition.

To buy a new set like that with the same type of material would cost well in excess of $10,000 here so a relative bargain I would say.

The next booth had a yet a another suite that totalled roughly $1800. Same thing six chairs etc., except on this suite the drawer fronts were all a lighter looking Burled Walnut veneer.

I wondered when I looked at them if you could buy the wood to make them for what they were selling for?

I also saw quite a few pieces that may have been made by carpenters as opposed to cabinet makers as the proportions were sometimes rather odd, and for all you fellas that fret about your dovetails having small gaps I wouldn't worry many of these peices had to be a hundred and fifty years old and were holding up well. I know I can cut neater dovetails than many of those.

So next time any of you are beating youself up over the quality of your dovetails go and look at some antique furniture, yours are probably not that bad.

There were assorted tools of course, a number of moulding planes ranging from eitheen to forty five dollars each. Many of the more expensive ones having had an application of BLO or maybe even poly urethane, yuck.

I saw a really beautiful looking brass backed saw that was in between my large tenon saw and my English Dovetail saw and was considering it till I noticed that one part of the blade looked as if someone had been sqeezed in a punch of some sort right on the teeth.

I also saw for $27 a KK5 which I assum is a Keen Kutter plane? I also saw a Baily no 4, for $22, which for some reason looked a bit short, but when I picked it up it was quite heavy, and I noticed the sides seemed thicker than normal, would that have been one of those wartime planes I keep hearing about on here? I will have to go to Patrick Leach's site and see about that.

If you read the whole post then thank you, and if you have any comments or debatable points by all means do so.

Roy Wall
06-26-2005, 9:39 AM
James,

I did read the whole post----and enjoyed it:) Nice stories!!!

That would be a Keen Kutter plane....made in St. Louis, MO..........and I have a couple of those WWII Stanley's (type 17 I think) - thicker and heavier for sure!!!

And yes, $2100 for a full dining set --- bargain for sure:D Thanks again!

Mark Stutz
06-26-2005, 3:51 PM
James,
I enjoyed your thoughts very much. I too am always looking at joinery, woods, construction details, etc. as I wander thru antique malls. Like you I have noticed the dovetails on both American and European antiques. I think it is a matter of "form vs. function". We have the advantage of modern glues, so choose handcut dovetails for their appearance and to say "I did it by hand". There are many othr options for the modern era that are just as strong. The used dovetails for thier mechanical strength, and since they didn't show, I have come to the conclusion that they were not nearlyh as "fussy" about them as we have come to be. Just my thoughts and observations.
Mark

Scott Raasch
06-26-2005, 9:21 PM
James, that's a good way to pass time. I like to visit antique stores for inspiration. :) I try to find a piece that I like and note the details that I find appealing, and then incorporate them into future projects. My wife and I also open up just about every drawer to check the construction. I note what kind of joints they used and admire the craftsmanship. We have either a lot to learn or a lot to remember. :) :)

Thanks for sharing your day...