PDA

View Full Version : 5c type 10- worth it?

Michael Arruda
05-04-2014, 6:26 PM
Hello all,

Just stopped by an antique shop after church and came across a Stanley 5c. It was a type 10. 2 pat dates. Top horn on tote was broken off, but sanded smooth, about half of brass nut visible. Front bolt on tote missing, adjustment nut missing but stud and wishbone in good shape. Hole drilled in front of knob for hanging. Seller took a wire wheel to it, no rust but rough abrasion marks on sides, sole, chip breaker, etc. Could be smoothed out. No cracks.Inside of casting and frog painted matte black. Bad attempt at making a 'usable' plane. Original blade with 1 '92 pat date.

$29

I passed it up, but am wondering if I should go pick it up. #5s are easy to come by, but I don’t regularly see a corrugated sole, or an early type like this.

What say you all?

-Michael

Jim Koepke
05-04-2014, 6:55 PM
I think you were wise to pass on it.

That is too much to pay for a common plane with way too much missing or damaged.

I have a couple #5s that are complete and good users that I would be surprised if they go for that much if I ever want to sell them. One is a #5c.

Maybe an angel was watching and keeping you from wasting money and time.

jtk

Chris sepielli
05-04-2014, 8:05 PM
I second that if it was a type 1 to 4 then yeah. That type and size are very common made a good choice keep looking you will find a better one