PDA

View Full Version : Rose Engine Lathe (Ornamental Turning Lathe)

Dale Winburn
05-04-2014, 1:43 PM
After several years and many hours of research and several months of design and construction my Rose Engine Lathe is now working and usable. Can't say it's finished because on-going enhancements and modifications are planned.

For several years I've been collecting material for the lathe. The one part I was having design issues with was the headstock. Last summer I was prowling through the surplus metal at a local machine shop and found a piece of extruded aluminum rectangle tube, 6" X 4" with .5" walls, this fit the bill perfectly. With the headstock problem solved I began to get serious about starting the design and construction. The lathe has been operational for about six weeks as I continue to work on it.

My lathe has only rocking action, no pumping capability. I may consider adding pumping action in the future.

With the index wheel and the vernier scale the spindle can be indexed to 1 degree.

The spindle is driven by a Leeson 90V DC gearmotor with an Automation Direct Drive that provides variable speed with reverse capability.

The compound cross slide is a Rockwell/Delta accessory that gives limited metal turning capability to the older 12" wood lathes. The top cross slide can be rotated 360 degrees.

I use a router with various bits as the cutter. The router can be adjusted or rotated to any position.

I purchased one rosette from Mandala Rose Works and have made two. I plan make some more rosettes and will buy more from Mandala Rose Works.

I've made a few sample pieces with the lathe, I still have a lot to learn about Rose Engine Lathe turning. I've studied every web site I can find and viewed many of the u-tube videos. Any pointers would be appreciated.

I'll post some pieces after I get a little more experience with it.

Thanks for looking,
Dale Winburn

Paul Engle
05-04-2014, 1:51 PM
Looks good Dale, you may find in the future, that the vibration from the motor will cause problems and you may wish to add a buffer ( rubber belt or similar to drive the bit , which will keep the motor vibration isolated, from causing the bit to add to the cut in really fine work. )

Roger Chandler
05-04-2014, 3:06 PM
I saw the items Dale turned on this new rose engine lathe at our club meeting yesterday............wow, what possibilities! I said it to the members present yesterday........Dale has a mechanical mind..........he has built a bowl lathe and now a rose engine lathe..........his abilities are enviable for sure, and it is always a treat to see what he brings to each meeting.

Dale, this is impressive and I look forward to seeing what directions you go with this!!!

Marvin Hasenak
05-04-2014, 3:26 PM
Looks like you found the Geoff O'Laughlin version when looking for ornamental lathe information. Mine was similar except I used wood instead of aluminum and I have a cross slide from a drill press. But I gave up because could not come up with a way to make rosettes that were "perfect". So a big thanks for the source of the rosettes, now I must dig out my "contraption" and try again.

charlie knighton
05-04-2014, 3:38 PM
that is talent......hope to see more of your work soon

Scott Hackler
05-04-2014, 9:59 PM
Very cool. How are you keeping tension against the rider (the piece that follows the curves on the pattern wheel)?

Dale Winburn
05-05-2014, 10:26 AM
Very cool. How are you keeping tension against the rider (the piece that follows the curves on the pattern wheel)?

Scott, I temporarily use a spring pushing up on the bottom backside of the headstock. I need to add a link to lock the headstock while using the index function, I may incorporate the spring into that. I haven't made a final decision yet.

Dan Hintz
05-05-2014, 6:54 PM
Always wanted to make one, but never knew where to put it.