PDA

View Full Version : Plane dating

Moses Yoder
05-04-2014, 12:36 PM
I have never seen a plane dating website that works the way I think it should. If you photographed all 20 of the Stanley Bailey plane types listed in Walter's "Stanley Tools" then you could have a front page where you would choose the logo on the iron and click on it. This would then lead you to a choice of adjuster nut photographs, then lateral adjust levers, etc. When the type is finally determined it would lead you to a page with photographs of all the parts characteristic of that type. If I had access to all the plane types or photographs of them I could set up a page like this. I think it would get a lot of hits.

Jim Koepke
05-04-2014, 1:31 PM
The problem with the blade logo is blades are often replaced or swapped with another plane.

Stanley didn't know people would take such interest in when there planes were made. They didn't toss out the old parts. They went on the production line until they were used up.

There are a few keys to dating most of the Stanley/Bailey planes:

Patent dates behind the frog, one, two or three. The progression starts with two for type 9, three for type 11 and one for type 13. The Bailey name was also introduced with the type 9.

Frog adjustment or ogee frog? The frog adjuster appears with type 10, it disappears on some models after the ogee frog, type 16. A raised ring appears around the front knob on type 14.

Pre-type 9 or frog adjustment the patent dates would be inside the brass adjuster if it is type 6 or earlier. The early types used right hand threads on the adjuster. Left hand threads on the depth adjustment indicate it is a type 6a, 7 or 8.

There is a lot of information here:

http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthread.php?103805-Neanderthal-wisdom-FAQs

jtk

Here is a post of mine on some minor differences in just the type 9s:

http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthread.php?131234-Type-9-variations

Kim Malmberg
05-04-2014, 4:26 PM
I think this has already been done by Joshua Clark as far as the Stanley planes are concerned.

http://www.hyperkitten.com/tools/stanley_bench_plane/dating_flowchart.php#Types%201-20

This way of dating a Stanley plane has proved very convenient for me. Just start from the beginning and if all goes well you should have your plane identified in no time.

Moses Yoder
05-04-2014, 5:49 PM
I think this has already been done by Joshua Clark as far as the Stanley planes are concerned.

http://www.hyperkitten.com/tools/stanley_bench_plane/dating_flowchart.php#Types%201-20

This way of dating a Stanley plane has proved very convenient for me. Just start from the beginning and if all goes well you should have your plane identified in no time.

This looks like it has seen considerable improvement since I last looked at it. If it had photographs it would be perfect.

Mel Miller
05-04-2014, 7:27 PM
If you have John Walter's book, the best type study available, by Roger Smith, is printed near the back starting on page 677. Smith's type study is the original, and still the best. It includes pictures of the parts and their variations.

Evan Patton
05-04-2014, 7:51 PM
Am I the only one that thought Moses was proposing plane swapping, i.e. try before you buy (dating) when I read the title? This darned American language (dating or dating?)!

Chris sepielli
05-04-2014, 8:10 PM
Am I the only one that thought Moses was proposing plane swapping, i.e. try before you buy (dating) when I read the title? This darned American language (dating or dating?)!. He is talking about finding out the year that plane was made well a range of years

Roger Rettenmeier
05-04-2014, 8:20 PM
I thought the same thing when i saw the title of the thread. I have never dated a plane before... just a few girls.

Chris sepielli
05-04-2014, 8:20 PM
Yes our language can be a pain in ass, lots of double meanings and our " slang" my not help

Evan Patton
05-04-2014, 10:13 PM
Carry on with your regularly scheduled discussion. :p

Evan Patton
05-04-2014, 10:16 PM
. He is talking about finding out the year that plane was made well a range of years
Guess my tongue firmly planted in my cheek was not obvious. In the immortal words of Emily Latella, "Nevermind" Except for Roger, who also seems to share my not-totally-always-obsessed-with-hardware thoughts. :D

Chris sepielli
05-04-2014, 10:24 PM
Ah I smell ya, little slow on the uptake sorry bout that

Moses Yoder
05-05-2014, 6:05 PM
I was on the Old Tools e-mail list about 2002 or so and somebody said they wanted to know how to date a plane. In my response I suggested making sure to wear a clean shirt, show up on time and don't mind if she is not ready yet, go up to the door and knock instead of just honking the horn, etc. Alf responded kindly, saying she had not dated in a long time but my advice was sound.

Evan Patton
05-06-2014, 12:45 AM
Alf responded kindly, saying she had not dated in a long time but my advice was sound.
Now that's what I'm talking ABOUT! :D