PDA

View Full Version : grizzly 8 inch parallelogram jointer set up issues

Larry R. Rosing
05-04-2014, 9:27 AM
Just purchased Griz 8 inch parallelogram jointer with spiral cutter head. Having some set up issues.
1. Can't get the fence set up properly to use the stops.
2. Fence has a slight cup along the entire length. You can see light when a straight is placed against it. Is that normal? What size gap is acceptable?
3. Cutter guard will not spring back into place the entire way during normal operation.

Thanks for the help!

John Schweikert
05-04-2014, 9:38 AM
If the fence has a cup and not a twist then you will be fine. The key for any fence is that it is perfectly square to the beds along the entire length, if not then there is a twist to it and that can lead to out of square wood.

With the fence removed or pushed way back, give the guard one more revolution to force more tension to the spring. That's a simple fix.

Mikail Khan
05-04-2014, 9:48 AM
What model jointer do you have? I have a 609 jointer.
I've never used my fence other than at 90 deg so I can't comment on item #1. I suspect that more details on problems will be required to get feedback.
Is your straight edge really straight? Use a 4' level measure the gap with a feeler gauge. Turn the level over and use the other side to recheck the gap. A small bow along the length should not affect your ability to joint one face flat or getting an edge perpendicular to a face that was jointed.
My manual has a procedure for adjusting the cutter guard tension. I don't think my manual mentioned it but the pin (swivel point) will require lube every couple of months to keep the guard moving freely.

MK

Phil Thien
05-04-2014, 9:50 AM
You will ALWAYS be able to see light between a straight edge and a surface you're checking. Even two straight edges. Light will always sneak through at some point. So you have to use feeler gauges to check the width of the gap.

I agree w/ John that a cup in the fence is no problem. A twist is more problematic, but can be fixed with a sheet of MDF and an opened-up sanding belt glued to the MDF. And John already took care of loading the spring for the guard.

Charles Coolidge
05-04-2014, 10:49 AM
Flip your straight edge over, does the fence show a cup using both edges of the straight edge? This will confirm your straight edge is actually straight. If so use some feeler gauges to measure the gap, a few thousandths isn't going to matter. Like another poster said its the twist you want to avoid, with a 'accurate' square check for square to the table top along the fence from front to rear. I use a Starrett square for this, adjust the fence square to the table at the front then check along its length. My Grizzly 8" parallelogram jointer has a slight twist from front to rear but its so slight as to not matter, its basically square from the front to the cutter head and a few thousandths twist from there to the rear of the fence.

Jim Andrew
05-04-2014, 11:13 AM
If I remember correctly, the spring on my GO609 jointer would not pull the guard back, I called Grizzly customer service, they sent a new one and I have had no trouble with the jointer for several years since. I had adjusted it, just a bad spring.

Charles Coolidge
05-04-2014, 12:02 PM
The blade guard issue seems common, they don't seem to adjust them properly at the factory. You just need to loosen it and dial in some more spring pre-load, don't over do it.

Larry R. Rosing
05-05-2014, 7:30 AM
The blade guard issue seems common, they don't seem to adjust them properly at the factory. You just need to loosen it and dial in some more spring pre-load, don't over do it.

Thank you all for your help!

I fixed the guard and will be checking the fence cupping with feeler gauges. I think everything will be good.